Will.i.am -- New MJ Album 'Disrespectful' to Michael

11/13/2010 9:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Black Eyed Peas front man Will.i.am wants no part of the new Michael Jackson album -- because he feels the entire thing goes against everything Michael stood for.

1113_will_i_am_Michael_jackson_REG
Will.i.am tells EW, "Whoever put it out and is profiting off of it, I want to see how cold they are ... He just wasn't any ordinary artist. He was a hands-on person. To me it's disrespectful. There's no honoring."

His biggest issue, it seems, is using unfinished MJ tracks -- something he feels the King of Pop never would have stood for: "Michael Jackson songs are finished when Michael says they’re finished ... Maybe if I never worked with him I wouldn’t have this perspective. He was very particular about how he wanted his vocals, the reverb he used ... he was that hands-on."

It's worth noting ... the album is put out by Sony, through Michael's estate. So Michael's kids are the ones who stand to make money off this.

cARMEN CECILIA DE RIBBON VARGAS

I'm with Will.i.am!

YellowTulip

And believers, do you really think that (as the perfectionist MJ was) MJ would allow to release unfinished songs if he is alive?

I guess it's a waste of effort to start a discussion with that very very special kind of ppl...

!!!ATTENTION!!!
***Tin foil hat area***

Norie

Is TMZ gettting paid by Sony to report these Articles because they have been putting some serious sony spin on latetly... now all of a sudden Harvey is a HUGE MJ fan and knows without a doubt that the vocals on Breaking News are real... every damn song he previews is "Great song" gonna be a hit... etc etc I've never heard him talk about MJ like this ever before...

and I agree with Will.I.Am 100%... everyone knows MJ was a perfectionist, he was meticulous, he said it himself scores of times in interviews. Lord knows MJ would not want some hastily put together demos released to the public... esp ones like Breaking News, I could have produced that garbage better.

There have got to been fully completed songs that MJ did, so why cant sony use them, instead of these half assed demos that MJ prob never finished because he had no interest in releasing...

sofi

Why doesn't will.i.am mind HIS OWN BUSINESS? Maybe because Michael recorded the songs with Eddie Cascio and not him? Speaking of disrepect hasn't will.i.am heard or seen what's been said and written about Michael since last June?

Siggisis

Posted at 10:34 AM on Nov 13, 2010 by Norie

I have thought about that too. The way Harvey is suddenly all OH WOW about Michael Jackson seems out of character.

Brigha from UK

Hats off to Will.i.am for having the integrity to defend MJs memory.

I won’t be buying the album, but I confess that it’s a bit of a dilemma for me. Although I would love to see MJ topping the charts once more, I just cannot justify any of my hard earned pennies going to either Sony or Branca. It’s a matter of principal. I hate the way they are turning Michael into a ‘brand’. Their main concern seems to be providing the public with a profitable commercial product whilst he remains ‘in demand’. However, they do not seem to understand that releasing contrived, manipulated and over produced recordings could ultimately damage his musical legacy.
We know that Michael was financially exploited throughout his entire life, so perhaps it is time to ignore the money side and focus on promoting his reputation as a musical genius.

I suppose the main question is whether or not MJ would want this material released? We all know how meticulous he was, so personally, I doubt it.

I do understand that people may want to buy the album to support the MJ3’s inheritance, but neither the children nor Katherine seem to be keen to see this album released. Besides that, shouldn't the kids have ample income from the catalogue profits alone? They are hardly going to end up on welfare are they!

KC

I applaud Will.I.am for speaking the truth & standing up for Michael about not wanting these unfinished tracks released. He worked with Michael during his Ireland visit (2006) & he knows Michael's attitude towards putting out a exceptional product for his fans. The true fans are able to read between the lines & see Sony's effort to raise their revenues as they have had many bad quarters this year. Sony has no loyalty to Michael's legacy. Listen to Michael song "Money" from Blood on the Dance Floor. You will get the picture. Many Blessings to All MJ's fans. Love you more MJ, KC

mysteria333

WITH ALL THIS CONTRAVERSY ,, AND THE FACT THAT BREAKING AWAY DOES'NTR SOUND ANYTHING EVEN CLOSE TO MICHAELS VOICE ,, I CANNOT BUY ANY OF THE MUSIC AND I AGREE WITH WILL. I .AM.....EVEN THE POSSIBILITY THAT MICHAELS LEGACY WILL BE DISHONORED MAKES ME ILL...HIS LEGACY MUST BE HONORED AND THE MUSIC MUST BE AND SOUND LIKE MICHAEL,,,,AND BREAKING AWAY SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE MICHAEL......AND I WAS SO ANXIOUS TO BUY THE MUSIC WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT....LOVE YOU ETERNALLY MICHAEL,,,,,A TRUE FRIEND....LR

Chic

I wonder what happened to the project Michael was working on
with Will.i.am? I know Michael was planning to do a project
with a top Gospel Artist before he passed and maybe some of the
songs from Michael would have been on it.

Alexa

Ummmmmm, Will, not that it matters to you, but Michael Jackson himself made an appearance on the "Final" album of unfinished recordings of Minnie Riperton in the 80" after she had died from cancer. He had several songs that were not completed and Michael and a few others recorded their portion onto the deceased singers unfinished tracks. So, I'm thinking that comment from Will should be stricken from the internets.......just saying.

Marie

If only Sony would put some money into the production and find the top notch people to carry it out, I would buy the album. But what I´ve heard so far, Sony produces it in a CHEAP way. Cheap, ugly cover, cheap production.
Posted at 9:10 AM on Nov 13, 2010 by Siggisis

Michael Jackson was not a cheap artist. Last time he spent 30 million dollars producing his 'Invicible' album which by the way is an underrated masterpiece.

my opinion

Briga from UK- THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your well put together comment.

RIP MJ

Love the Jackson's

PEACE, LOVE, KINDNESS & RESPECT makes a better world for us ALL

mysteria333

MICHAEL IS COMING BACK ,, CANT YOU SEE THAT...HE IS HEALING....KEEP YOUR FAITH,,,, OUR BELOVED MICHAEL WILL RETURN AT THE RIGHT TIME....GOD BLESS

marson

I saw a article that said these songs weren't ready to be released, but then Michael wasn't ready to die. Either the unfinished work is destroyed or someone has to finish the songs because Michael is gone. I think it would be criminal to destroy any MJ songs, so I think finishing them is the only alternative. I love Breaking News. I think one Michael Jackson song is worth 100 others. If the music is released and the songs are finished then Michael will live on through his music. It has nothing to do with money in my opinion. It has to do with MJ's legacy.