Aquabats Concert -- Youngest Stagediver Ever?

11/15/2010 3:06 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

It was like a ska Bar Mitzvah at an Aquabats concert in St. Louis last night ... when the band's lead singer grabbed a little boy from the crowd ... and LAUNCHED him into his very first stage dive.

Moments after the kid landed in the sea of people -- a grown ass man launched himself off the stage and BARELY missed smacking the kid in the head.

So we gotta ask ...

tigressrosefurr

Aquabatsfan

Oh my goodness. I would have been the coolest kid ever if this had happened to me. Have any of the uptight parents read the rest of the comments. THEY'VE DONE THIS FOR YEARS AND NOBODY HAS EVER BEEN HURT.

Examples:

^^^That last kid survived cancer.

Patrick

Here's a full video from last night. It shows everything that led up to the toss. Including getting permission from parents.

Kia

Not only do I know the Mama & the youngest Stagediver, but I know she is one of the most awesome, protective Mamas ever and her son is growing up to one awesome little dude. I add my name to the list who are proud of the Little Stagediver - I've seen him go from a kid who was apprehensive about bathtubs to a little flying boy! My own son, who is older, is very jealous! How could the flying hero get there w/o loving, caring parents who let him have radical experiences from as young an age as possible?

badnadz

just plain and simple f**king dangerous!!

TheMama

Considered posting all day, and have deleted so many times. Yep, I'm the crazy reckless mom that let my hubs take him up there. Let me clear a few things up.

My heart was in my throat the whole time. But for two reasons...

Yes, it was a little dangerous. So are a lot of things. Have you never let your kid climb a tree? Or pet a dog? Or ride their bike? Or try out a carnival ride? And you don't think anything bad will happen either. I'm aware not every kid stage dives at 5. But your kids do risky things too. Risky things are part of childhood. I was scared. It was okay in the end. It might not have been. I would have taken responsibility for that too.

But I held my breath for another reason. My kid was on stage with his heroes, during a song he's been singing for a year. What the video doesn't show is him waiting for his turn (he was the 4th kid to go) staring wide eyed at Ricky Fitness, whom he was dressed up as (that was his choice for Halloween as well.) The video doesn't show MCBC telling my husband he's the coolest dad ever. It doesn't show the ride home when I knew my son felt like a part of the amazing punk community I've been a part of since high school. It doesn't show our punk-rock friends congratulating him and telling him about their first stage dive.

Bottom line, my little boy is radical. He reads 3 years above his grade level, tells really silly jokes, and loves legos, his hamster and punk rock. And he thinks all of this attention is pretty cool.

Savannah

"you call yourselves family? the aunt,grandmother,father that commented on this video.. crowdsurfing isn't dangerous? no one was hurt this time but what if he was hurt? do you want to be the next people on the news standing there saying "We thought it would be harmless. I didn't know he would get hurt." Are you serious? Because if you are I hear skydiving and bungie jumping are real fun also.... He was flying? really? if you threw him off a bridge i'm sure he would enjoy himself then also... until he hit bottom. I'm glad he wasn't hurt but he could have been. parents are supposed to protect their children not throw them in harms way and see what happens... Yeah he wasn't hurt.. this time... but what would you say if he was hurt? you didn't know? you didn't think this would happon? I pray he reaches his 6th birthday."
Posted at 7:49 PM on Nov 15, 2010 by tigressrosefurr

You want to know what's actually dangerous? Five year olds wandering around Wal-Mart like little heathens without their parents. Children playing in the road because their parents won't watch them. Children out there - right now - sitting watching their trashed out parents do meth. Oh, and apparently the state of the education system judging by the grammatical and spelling errors in your post.

If you really, HONESTLY are worried about the welfare of children, I've seen quite a few cases you really should start with first. Wait...oh, here we are:
Go knock yourself out with those ones. Please.

Something could go wrong with anything at any time, anywhere, in any way. Have you honestly ever stopped to ponder how many terrifiying, horrible ends you could meet all while just sitting at your computer? Human life is driven by experience. My nephew was lucky enough to have a wonderful experience in a controlled environment.

This is why I loathe current-day media. They take one thing, pull it as far out of context as possible, and leave it open for people who have no idea what the situation actually was to comment.

Shaun McKee

The Aquabats are the greatest band of all time and anyone who dissagrees should be boiled in his own pudding!!!

John Chambers

Just goes to show you people have no idea what they are talking about. The Aquabats are harmless and always get permission from the audience before doing stunts like this. Relax folks, and go buy their new CD

ffmedicjeff

I was at this concert as well. The parents of each kid who crowd surfed gave their consent. This kids father jumped well clear of him and held his hand during the surf. Crowd surfing is dangerous when morons are repeatedly jumping off of a stage into a crowd that aren't paying attention, or they are sick of the same person stage diving over and over, and simply let them fall. I don't think that ANY crowd would EVER let a small child fall to the ground. Everyone in the crowd seemed to love the fact that this happened and were happy to catch both father and son. As a father, I would have dont the same, and I do not think that is child endangerment whatsoever. This child will remember this for the rest of his life as a highlight! It is funny how the camera angle appears to be coming from the guy in the balcony who the Aquabats were making fun of because he responded to a request from the band to participate in crowd interaction with the middle finger. This person was later thrown out of the concert during the Reel Big Fish portion... hmmmmmmm.

I. Was Backsatge

This is something The Aquabats do quite often, but we didn't think it would happen at this show. I spoke to the boy's Dad afterwards, and he said he and his son had seen the show before and Jr. has been waiting to do the dive ever since. Plus, the front of the stage was PACKED (and people in that area aren't allowed booze!), so there was no way the kids could've ever hit the floor. Basically, this, like their typical show, is set up as an audience participation thing and a psuedo "rite of passage" for young fans. The band was totally sober and in control of themselves and the audience, who did their job to a tee, by the way. In fact, when Dad jumped in (obviously not his first stage dive) the audience directed him towards his son and they did the Sea Otter pup thing back to the stage. Very cute...and every kid who did it (with parental permission) walked away with the biggest smile (and new found ego, no doubt) you'd ever see.
The guy who does the tossing is a Dad himself, so he plays it safe. Was I nervous standing backstage and watching the thing unfold? Damn right! But for all you nervous nellies, it was MUCH more controlled than it seems. And safer than skateboarding, for sure. In short, I agree with Mom. This kid is going to remember this for the rest of his life. Imagine...your "15 minutes" at age five!

tigressrosefurr

*67 your right there are a lot of things that are wrong with the world.. parents that let their children play in the street. kids who watch their parents do drugs...and parents that let their children stage dive... too many to list i'm sure....may all children know the rush of excitement that comes with being rescued just before getting hit by a car..or finding a new home because their parents are drug heads...or the rush of crowd surfing...you have really opened my eyes...thanks.

Guy

I was at that concert. It was awesome. I've seen The Aquabats two times before (even opened for them with my band). They are hilarious, and launching kids into the crowd is one of their best traditions that they do every concert.

Keshena Sanson

This concert was amazing last night! Whom ever says any differently sucks!

Joey

I was at the show last night in St. Louis. They asked the parents if it was ok, and the dude that stage dived after the kid was his own dad. Don't see a problem in some fun and memories being made.