Mel Gibson

Admits Slapping,

Not Hitting Oksana

11/15/2010 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has obtained Mel Gibson's sworn declaration in the custody war with Oksana Grigorieva, in which Mel admits slapping Oksana because he says she was so hysterical she was endangering the baby ... but he denies hitting her.

Mel Gibson Hits Girlfriend
Mel is referring to the explosive argument between the two on the night of January 6, 2010, which triggered the L.A. County Sheriff's Department domestic violence investigation. Oksana claims Mel punched her in the temple and in the mouth, knocking out two teeth.

But Mel tells a very different story. According to his declaration, dated June 23, 2010 and filed with the court, Mel says he and Oksana were having one of their frequent arguments at his Malibu home, when Oksana grabbed Lucia out her of bassinet, brought her right in the middle of the argument and screamed, "Stop yelling or you will make her into a retarded brain damaged idiot!"

Mel says Oksana then "spun around," ran into her older son's room and then out into the backyard. Mel says the yard is dangerous at night, set on different levels and dimly lit. Mel says Oksana ran across the various levels for about 75 yards, near thorny trees.

Mel says he implored Oksana to bring Lucia back inside, and that's when Oksana ran back into her older son's room, and "started swinging Lucia erratically in her arms, jerking her body from side to side to keep Lucia out of my reach."

Mel adds Oksana was "hysterical" and her "rapid movements were causing Lucia's little body to be flung from one side to the other, her head shaking violently." Mel says he feared Shaken Baby Syndrome.

As she refused to hand the baby over and continued with "rough and erratic movements," Mel says, "I slapped Oksana one time with an open hand in an attempt to bring her back to reality. I did not slap her hard, I was just trying to shock her so that she would stop screaming, continuing shaking Lucia back and forth."

Mel's story could establish a defense to a domestic violence charge -- using reasonable force to protect a child from injury.

As for Oksana, Mel says, "I did not hit Oksana with a closed fist, as she alleges. I did not ever punch her in the face or in the temple or anywhere else, not then or at any other time."

Mel admits, "While I do not believe I handled the situation as well as I should have, I was worried about the rough way Oksana was shaking and tossing Lucia around," adding, "My hand never touched any part of Lucia." As we've already reported, the pediatrician who examined Lucia the next day saw no evidence of injury.

And Mel says, "There was never any blood on Oksana and none of her teeth were 'broken,' although one of the false veneers from a tooth apparently did come off, I did not see that occur at the time."

See also

More Today in TMZ History

KoalaBabe

It always bugs me that she was always holding the baby when they fight. It seems to me she grabs the baby as a shield.
If I were in a fight with someone I fear and I am holding the baby, I get the baby/kids in a safe place. The moment the fight starts or looks like heading that way, give the baby to someone else or place her somewhere safe.

I guess my maternal instinct tells me to protect my child.

Posted at 1:28 AM on Nov 15, 2010 by garnet

Obviously she was using Lucia against Mel, how humiliating for her, now that the other side of the story are coming out.
No wonder she recorded Mel rantings, she wanted revenged for his kicking her out from his Malibu house.

She wanted to totally damaged him, career and his reputations.

BrAnBa

If he hadn´t slapped her but insted phoned 911, it could have been too late for the baby. If the scenario is true, what other way he could have handled it? It´s a matter of minutes, well, seconds to save the child.

Maybe he was the one insisting on Oksana taking Lucia to the doctors the next day! She did but told the doctor another story as it would be impossible for her to say what really happened.

garnet

What I'm reading here is that Oksana wasn't shaking Lucia deliberately but was out of control and hysterical and in that moment posed a great risk to the child's safety and needed to be stopped.

KoalaBabe

Heya Fidel's niece, garnet and wondering!! truths are coming out.
Mel testimony had not changed whatsoever, Oksana can't even remember what lies she had fabricated months ago, her testimonies are full of contradictions.

Oh boy, I wonder now, about her Larry King Interviews lol.

angeleyes

The Oxsana creature is definitely a psycho-bytch if that's how she was acting with a baby in her arms. I would have had her committed to an institution that night! Slap her? - I might have strangled her if it was my child in such danger -

michelle

right away M.G. should have called;
the police
child services
his wife
his lawyer
...........
we all have 'should have(s)' in our lives
i hope the baby is alright

miz

This is such a relief.....The Truth is finally coming out.

Pieces are all fitting together.

Oxi will look like such a fool if she becomes a posterchild for Domestic Violence.
And when she talks about DV on LKL.

Then Mel should be on the show for the second segment of Domestic Violence with the Shaken Baby Syndrome.

Parker

This is an old story (vis lawyer? Neirob?) I mean we didn't read the actual written declaration before but it's more or less the same.

Had that been the case why didn't he rush the tot to emergency for fear of "shaken baby syndrome?" Why did he say in the text the next day that he was "unspeakably sorry" and that he "wasn't safe for (her)" and that he wanted badly to apologize to the boy? And that he had a long therapy appointment bc he realized he had to work thru serious problems to make the relationship work. Why was he calling her relentlessly. He even said at one point, "Don't hang up." Also he threw everything in the book he could think of at her, why not something specific about what a crap mother she was for shaking the baby?

KoalaBabe

Posted at 1:39 AM on Nov 15, 2010 by angeleyes

angeleyes you're too kind, if she was harming Lucia, I would have had punched her teeth in.
She should have left Lucia on her crib, she was safer there than on her arms, specially if she was running out to the bush in the dark like a crazy woman with a baby on her arms.

Mel was right about being worried with the two months old safety, she could have had fallen over and dropped Lucia into the ground and caused her some serious injury.

garnet

Hi back to you KB.

In this whole story, Mel with his bad temper managed to obey the judge, control his mouth, and not utter a word.
Oksana and her team on the other hand had so much trouble obeying the order and leaks upon leaks and appearances come.
Now, who do I believe has less control?

observer77

I KNEW he didn't punch her! What a lying witch.

If someone had my 2 month old TINY newborn baby and was whipping her from side to side and running helter-skelter around outside in the dark, OMG, I would have PUNCHED her in the head myself and, trust me, I'm NOT a violent person. This was a tiny, PREMATURE (?), little bit of a thing being put in very real physical danger by a lunatic.

But what did MG do? He SLAPPED OG to try to snap her back to reality and stop her from behaving dangerously erratically with a preemie in her arms.

People, this was NOT domestic violence on MG's part. But it certainly WAS domestic violence ON THE BABY by said baby's supposed mother.

I hope the authorities take that baby girl away from OG. She is mentally unhinged and a danger to that little girl IN SO MANY WAYS.

Fidel's niece

Hiya Kb
and the rest of the gang,

Ok$a, the Drama Queen.

Their "rear love" seems more
like a "toxic love,
with all the frequent arguments
they had when they were together.

What was Mel thinking,
to hook up
with this trash!

KoalaBabe

I KNEW he didn't punch her! What a lying witch.

Posted at 1:46 AM on Nov 15, 2010 by 28.

I KNEW he didn't punch her! What a lying witch.

Posted at 1:46 AM on Nov 15, 2010 by observer77

observer77!! lol we are on the same page, I was going to punched her myself, what a stupid twit of a woman she is.

Anyway seen your hugs on another threads thank you and hugs ya back!

Sithlord

he did the bitch well done.So you never came upon an hysterical chick before have you?

Jackie

Haven't some women slapped men or other women and get a way with it?.....So how can that be violate when he was trying to protect his kid?.....She deserved the slap.