« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

FBI's Cam Newton Probe Expands to Auburn Booster

11/17/2010 5:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The FBI investigation into the cash for Cam Newton scandal now involves a guy who gave more than $1 million to Auburn University ... and was recently arrested in a bribery sting.

Cam Newton Scandal Investigation
According to sources connected to the probe ... FBI agents looking into the Newton recruiting controversy are also asking about Milton McGregor -- a dog track owner arrested last month for allegedly bribing Alabama politicians to vote pro gambling.

We're told agents asked someone connected to the Newton case if he was familiar with McGregor or the bribery scandal.

It's unclear what, if any, direct connection McGregor has to Newton. Back in 2008, McGregor did donate a million bucks toward construction of a new arena at Auburn.

McGregor did not return a call for comment.

UPDATE 4:00PM PST: Milton McGregor's attorney tells TMZ his client has "never had any contact – direct or indirect – with Cam Newton, Cecil Newton, Cam’s father; Kenny Rogers or anyone purporting to represent Cam Newton."  He also says McGregor has never compensated student athletes at Auburn or any other school.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

micco

Poor boogs. West Georgia is really becong rank from the soiled panties of those mongrel Auburnites pooping themselves in fear for their beloved brothel of a football program that is about to be annihilated. Well, morons, you can always become fans of Troy. Thanks, Camburglar!

Jean

Lets get back to playing ball and stop all of this mess.

Mom

SO glad to see so many of you ready to convict someone without all the evidence. This young man has not been convicted of any wrong doing , yet so many are ready to hang him out to dry and destoy his character and his future. What happened to wait and get all the facts ? The charges in Florida were dropped. I guess none of us have ever done anything stupid that we would love to take back but we cant. He's a young man, and yes he has made some mistakes , but to assasinate his character over all of this is uncalled for. I ask you.. Are there not things in all our pasts that we wish we hadn done, that we regret and wish we could take back ? Would you want to be treated like this ? This young man cannot help what his dad did, if indeed his dad did do something. There are a lot of athletes our there that have parents that have been exactly model citizens but you dont condemn the child because of it. All I say is ... wait until all the FACTS come out before judging this young man

Barn is burning..

You ignorant inbred Auburn fans need to get your head out of the sand and quit blaming Bama because you have a Thug as your QB..

Lemonsmurf

My take on the story (for whatever it is worth)...I am an Alabama fan and like to think of myself as a fair fan. Meaning when AU plays a good game, they should get the credit. At the rate the are playing, the deserve to be where they are in the polls and I would like them to win the SEC because it represents the state as a win. Cam is a damn good quarterback.

That being said, in light of all that has come out recently (true or not) one has to stop and think, "I should at least entertain the fact that some of this news may be true. It is a possibility at this point". You can still be an AU fan and not have your head so far in the ground that you can see what this may be shaping up to be. I am in contact with AU fans daily and all I hear is, "Bama did this, War CAM Eagle, oh all of this stuff has no merit at all...and the like"...Now if Alabama was in the same situation, I would at least have in the back of my mind that the stories could hold some truth and not be so arrogant as to completely dismiss it all. Why can AU fans not take their blinders off?

In a way, I hope all of this is not true. Not because I stand behind CAM, but because I would hate to see his team mates punished for something they had no part in. It is not fair to them at all. Same goes for the fans.

Time will tell, I however do not have bliders on and think this will not turn out good for AU, CAM, the fans, teammates, coaches or boosters. So sad.

john

This article has literally no information. I am pretty sure TMZ just did this to get additional hits on their site.

this is slacker reporting, then again, it is TMZ

Lisa

This is INSANE!!! Leave Cam alone and let him finish his ONLY FREAKIN SEASON w/ Auburn and beat Alabama like we KNOW HE CAN!! JEEEEEZ, I am so sick of hearing about it ALL. It is going to take 1 to 2 yrs before it is all figured out anyway so LET US PLAY SOME BALL!!!! Too bad Alabama couldn't be the highest bidder b/c they are too busy paying Saban!!! ba ha ha (just a joke Bammers)

Lemonsmurf

@Lisa....and we have got our moneys worth for Saban...Just like you have for Cam (just a joke :-)

UAMomma

Bama Mom, you're an idiot. I am a TRUE Bama Mom as my money and daughter goes to UA. I grew up as an Auburn fan and still am. You are confused if you think all we care about is beating UA but I would say that about Bama (just go back and watch the ESPN segment last week on 7-2 teams and how fans from MSU and Bama react it - I think it was the BAMMER who said... all that matters is AUBURN and bettin' them). Sure we care, when we play in the Iron Bowl, I could care less about what is going on in Tuscaloosa anytime else! However, Bammers are obsessed with what is going on in Auburn. So, Yes I am a BARNER and PROUD of it and would rather be a barner than a delusional, trailer trash, redneck, mullet (I know you have one) bammer. You guys want nothing else but to see Cam sit out in the Iron Bowl because you all are SCARED of him. Bama, you will now be forever known as the AlaCAMa Chicken Tide!
OH, and funny how NO ONE from AUBURN has been interviewed by the FBI (just thought I would throw that one in there) but it doesn't matter, you all believe anything you read even if it is in the Enquirer.
One other thing, Bama needs to be concerned about what the NCAA and SEC is going to do to them if/when Jody Wright is found to have been the cause of the leak. I don't think the SEC or NCAA will take to kindly to an institution trying to affect the outcome of a football season not to mention a Heisman trophy race.

Allan Kolstad

It's Bush's fault!

George that is, not Reggie!

alternapop.com

ncaa athletes will NOT get a "salary" because of Title IX. if they pay the men, they'll have to pay the women.

George

Cam is the finest young man I've ever met. O sure, he was involved with that stolen lap top, but who hasn't stolen a lap top now and again. Sure, he got 12 tickets, but who hasn't? Yea, he cheated on some exams and was asked to leave Florida. But the federal government says thats protected information, so it didnt happen. Still, he is a lot better young man than that jerk from Alabama,, who the hell wants to be a Rhodes Scholar anyway? Besides, I'm almost positive McElroy has done something wrong.. WAR EAGLE

Lemonsmurf

@UA Momma - To correct you - Actually, when CAM is ruled ineligible, I want it to be after the Iron Bowl. That way AU can't whine and say "Bama beat us because we didn't have Cam". Actually if your wins lie with ONE player who has been paid, what have you really won if you do beat us...C'mon. You and I both know without CAM, Auburn has nothing and that is sad.

Forever known as the "AlaCAMa Chicken Tide"...actually we will be forever known as the 1925,1926,1930,1934,1941,1961,1964,1965,1973,1978,1979,1992 AND 2009 National Champions..

Can you say that? Ouch, that stung didn't it??

Roll Tide

SHP

Someone asked someone if he knew Milton McGregor? Are you serious that this is news? And thanks because now all the crazy rednecks in our state have twisted this into a story that they caught McGregor talking about Cam when he was wiretapped. This is like playing telephone tag, but with reckless, venomous, and dentally challenged Alabama fans.

Joy

I have been a fan of TMZ for years now, and have always thought that most of what you report was accurate. What a disappointment with this story. EVERYTHING about this story
is bogus, and everything is hear say. I wish the Newton family would sue the heck out of TMZ for slander. You have lost my respect.!!