'Teen Mom'

Charged with Domestic Violence

11/18/2010 2:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Amber Portwood -- one of the stars of the MTV show "Teen Mom" -- has been charged with domestic violence and battery for allegedly beating the crap out of her baby daddy in front of their daughter.

Amber Portwood
Indiana officials confirm ... the 20-year-old faces two felony counts and one misdemeanor for allegedly attacking 24-year-old Gary Shirley three separate times from August 2009 to July 2010.

Officials have acknowledged that the criminal investigation was launched after the MTV show aired -- which included footage of Amber smacking Shirley several times.

Cops say Amber not only slapped Shirley in front of the kid -- but she also punched him several times in the face and upper-body.

If convicted on all counts, Portwood faces three years behind bars and fines up to $10,000.

Previous 15 Comments | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17

jen

she needs to go to jail. she knew that she would get caught. hello cameras on alll the time. i hope gary get leah.

Sonya

Of course she should go to jail for this. If things were the other way around (Gary hitting her on TV) he would have been in jail already.

Megan

i think that its good for her to go to jail and get treated like everybody else would if they would have done it but i think that she should still be able to see Leah because she isn't being put in jail for murdering anybody or even for drugs she's still a mother that will hopefully always love Leah no matter what. So if someone to take my kid away from me or try to i would raise hell just like she did just not to that extreme.

chalkotalko

honestly, she needs to work on some things, no sense in beating her up with words. Shes only going to get probation

Terra

I don't see what her weight has to do with anything... being overweight doesn't make somebody a bad parent. On the other hand, exposing her child to domestic violence, letting some random guy (who happens to be a felon) change her daughter's diaper, and overall neglecting the care of her baby girl does make her a bad parent.

From what I've seen Amber mopes around and does nothing but sleep and complain. Being the same age as Amber with a son the same age as Leah I feel I can say this... when you have a kid you give up your right to be lazy. I've heard she makes $60...,000
to $65,000 per season. If this is true, then I can understand some of the laziness... she doesn't have to work to get paid good money. But, she does have to give up some of her privacy.

I personally think both Amber and Gary need to take mandated parenting classes and I don't think either are really that great with their daughter. I remember one episode where they let Leah run around in a restaurant while they talked and ignored her. Whatever happened to responsibility? If they wanted to go out to eat without worrying about their daughter they should have left her with a friend or relative. However, I will say that Gary seems to be more responsible than Amber when it comes to Leah.

I think Amber should be punished for her abuse, but I don't think it should be anymore than a typical guy would be charged with for doing much worse. In California I've seen guys walk with barely a misdemeanor, community service, and mandated anger management classes. She shouldn't get harsher punishments just because she is on T.V.

Jesse

Amber your a terrible person. I really hope this is not one of those situations like Lohan's where she is only looking at 2 weeks of jail. Give baby Leah to Gary, who is a good dad. She is a psycho hose beast and needs to be taken down a level. I want her off TV, because DIRTS do not need to be famous.

Aaron

People like that have issues. Don't have children with the wrong people honestyl.

Heather

She ought to be spayed...

Remember folks, spay or neuter your idiot friends/neighbors/relatives. Obviously, in this case, someone missed the memo. I feel bad for the little girl. How awful to have to live with the knowledge that someone as gross, vile and mentally inept is your mother. I seriously hope the state rules in favor of the father. He may not be a prize himself, but I'd much rather her be raised by him and have a fighting chance. If Portwood retains custody, poor Leah doesn't have a prayer.

j peeps

UNFORTUNATLEY MEN ARE USUALLY ALWAYS THE ABUSERS.WELL THIS TIME THE TABLES ARE TURNING.A LOT OF WOMEN ARE NOT TOLERATING THESE SO CALLED MEN'S BS THESE DAYS.TALK ABOUT A DOUBLE STANDARD..ARE WE IN THE CAVE MAN DAYS BECAUSE I SEE A LOT OF FOLKS LYNCHING THIS LADY AMBER.I'VE SEEN ALL OF THE EPISODES OF TEEN MOM AND IT'S USUALLY THE GIRLS WHO GET TO GET STUCK WITH THE BABIES.MAYBE A LOT OF THOSE GUYS NEEDED A WHOOPIN ON TV.NOT SAYIN GARY DID BUT THATS USUALLY WHAT HAPPENS..THE GOOD GUY GETS THE IGNORANT GIRL AND THE GOOD GIRL GETS STUCK WITH THE DEADBEET LAME ASS GUY.FREE AMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jill

My 21 yr.old daughter wanted me to watch this show with her, and I agree that Amber is not the best parent..and neither is Gary..but under no cir***stances should anyone put their hands on one another. I don't care how big Gary is or how lazy,Amber's behavior is totally unacceptable. I was raised by a mother who was physically/emotionally abusive and my life was Hell. I had my first little girl when I was 19 and my third/last little boy when I was 23 and I always swore to myself that I would never treat my child the way I was treated. My husband was 4 years older than me and while the babies were little, he worked 3 jobs and I was at home with the babies. I also worked hard at home. I became an amazing cook and our home was always spotless. If my hubby ever came home and saw me on the couch, he knew that I was really sick.It wasn't easy having children so young and close together, but they didn't chose to be born. Eventually my husband went back to school for Heating, plumbing, and Air conditioning..we moved to Arizona and after working for a company for 5 years, he started his own company. I also went to work once the children were older and what had started out as an unplanned pregnancy turned out to be the best life I could have ever wished for. Of course we had sudden curves in the road, but my husband was my soul mate and we were a team. We respected each other, it was a great love story, but unfortunately I lost him in 2007 at age 44 to a massive stroke. Things happen suddenly sometimes and at a snap of a finger all can be lost. If Amber doesn't love Gary, then let him go, children shouldn't have to live the way Leah does because her parents were young..for the love of your child..get some help before it's too late. You just never know when the person you love most in the world will be taken from you..and never take a loved one for granted.

lexi

wwoooooooooooooooow, you're all not better with your comments! your violence against her is as bad as hers.

"what a fat disgusting pig....people like that should NOT be allowed to get pregnant. She should have her uterus ripped out"-

have you ever thought of how hard it is for her? and it's even harder for someone who was raised being hit, not to react that way when there is no way out.

Doesn't matter

You wanna know what? I think domestic violence in any form is a terrible thing to have to go thru...wanna know what is equal to that? A bunch of faceless, nameless, non important to the issue people who say "good for them" , "Go get her", "she deserves it!", and then turn around and bash on his/her weight. I understand it is a VERY valid point to go against Violence..to say its wrong. But if you are going to take that position on the issue and turn around an verbally assault people you are just as low and mean and out of control as she was. This is the problem with our society...people want to point fingers while overlooking their own part in these issues. Was she wrong HECK YES...but calling them fat, saying the are pigs and whatever else has just put you on the same level. Congrats to you all!

truth

he should have kicked the crap outa her... then called the cops and had charged her with D.V

that will teach women a lesson about not hiting a man

katie46001

This girl is silently screaming out for help. however, in order to the help she needs she HAS to WANT it HERSELF!!! She has to realize that her life/lifestyle, friends, atmospheres, etc are things she has to focus on getting straightened out, also her child should be her main priority and her reason for sobriety other than wanting a good normal life. I think it would be wise for her to find God and join a good church. I hope Amber realizes all this one day and I am rooting for her come back.

Previous 15 Comments | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17