Sarah Palin Blasted for Halibut 'Snuff Film'

11/23/2010 6:25 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Sarah Palin thought it was "weird" when she held the beating heart of a halibut in the palm of her hand on her reality show this weekend -- now an animal rights group is calling the episode a "snuff film."

Sarah Palin

Sarah and Bristol were featured on a halibut fishing excursion on the reality show "Sarah Palin's Alaska" -- the show even featured a scene in which Sarah and Bristol clubbed the fish to death ... a standard practice among  fisherman.

But a group called "In Defense of Animals" is lashing out at the reality fam -- saying, "Sarah Palin’s complete lack of compassion as demonstrated in this snuff video is disgusting."

The group adds, "Most disturbing is the way she seems to enjoy causing suffering to other beings. When they laugh about the beating heart that Bristol holds in her hand, their complete insensitivity to the animal kingdom becomes clear."

FYI ... a rep for the Alaska Charter Association -- a group in defense of recreational halibut fishing -- tells us the clubbing technique is actually "humane" because it's used to "minimize the suffering of the fish."

viewer

Oh get over it already...she was on a commercial halibut fishing boat. The other people on the boat do that for a living and they are not getting called out. She ran for VP and now the election has been over for sometime...quit putting her through the ringer nad move on. She is a typical Alaska girl Good for hr. :) Everyone else who does not like it can turn the damn channel. DUH.

Laura

I think is its disgusting to suggest that Sarah Palin "laugh at any animal's death"
That is your interpretation ; how do you arrive at that interpretation?
It is a ridiculous interpretation.

Vonn

Sarah could have bored the fish to death with conversation & Bristol could have danced.

silk

Do you expect anything else from these dumb and stupid women?

Adam

I see nothing wrong with this when i went fishing in Alaska it was either hit them and kill them or shoot them thats how its done

Katie C

Put it this way...

Of all the beautiful things she could show us from the state of Alaska... THIS is what she picks to air.

What a PIG!!!

WTF ?

Hey! What's the matter??? I beat my fish all the time.

Laura

Clearly you didn't saw her programs.
Sarah is showing very beautiful things from the state of Alaska!

Unfortunately ,the media (and TMZ) are
fully concentrating on this very very small part of her program in a attempt to discredit her.
The media will do anything to discredit Sarah Palin and is showing things "out of contex".

Anyway , this is the way commercial Halibut is done.

MP

Fish are friends, not food!

Rudy

She's an embarrassment to white women everywhere. I wish she, and her inbred jed family, would disappear forever.

leisa

To the writer of Post 11. Mr Burgandy. When did you decide that this article was your sedgway into making fun of a toddler. Maybe you should read a bit about Down Syndrome and what these children are able to accomplish.

Every person who eats sushi should noit have anything to say unless you are willing to give up sushi.

Alaska is a state that lives off the wildlife in their area.The 7-11's and Safeways are not just around the corner.

I am not a member of the GOP by any means. But for people to hate this family and feel the need to find fault with everything they do I find odd.

I do not hink that she was getting a viseral, serial killer liking to clubbing the fish. That is what is done. She is not a quivering "little wuss" when she was working. I have been enjoying the show and the Alaska she loves.

Mama Grizzley is a saying I hear many moms saying. Try to see this show as an educational tool. Not a media to put down a toddler that I am very sure will show more social graces than you have showen on your post.

Anyone who eats only fruit and vegetables has no right to say anything.

Fishermen put their lives on the line for us to eat fish. It is hard work. What has Palin really done that is so bad that her family is attacked. I can't even get my head around the comparison to Michael Vick and what the Palins were doing. Starving and beating dogs to near death so they can kill another dog is not even close. I doubt that Mr Vick was eating the meat of these poor dogs. Dog Fighting is just a sport that people can sit around with their 40's and enjoy the gore at close glance.

JayVegas

The Palins make Levi Johnston look like Anderson Cooper...

Timothy M. Nolan

The PETA is gonna be having a field day when they find out about this.

Trisha

I don't think it's an attempt to discredit her as she's already done that herself many times. Also, Sarah Palin has been known for animal cruelty for years now. I'm not saying this is part of that but for those that think so and may be shocked...you haven't seen nothing yet. Do some research.

JayVegas

I forgot about Vick for a minute, he's welcome to break his front teeth on it as well...

As far as fish go, I'm vegan except for fish and as anyone with a beating heart knows, you don't ruin your fish by torturing it...maybe that pod she gave birth to(or one of the idiot daughters gave birth to, which I personally buy...)needs to be clubbed up as well.

NOW I feel good.