'Ugly Betty' Actor in

Custody in Samurai Sword Killing

11/23/2010 6:35 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

An actor who appeared on "Ugly Betty" was taken into custody in Brooklyn this morning for allegedly killing his mother with a 3-foot long samurai sword while screaming biblical passages.

Michael Brea Ugly Betty
According to the police, the suspect -- Michael Brea -- sliced his mother's head off during the attack.

When cops arrived to the scene around 2:20 AM, officers say Brea was clutching the bible. Cops ultimately had to use a taser to subdue the actor. Brea was taken to a nearby hospital for a psychiatric evaluation with a police escort.

Police claim the scene was "extremely bloody."

A neighbor told WPIX 11, "I hear the brother chasing her [his mother] through the house and he's just saying a bunch of [Bible] passages like, 'Repent, Repent, Repent.'"

The neighbor continued, "I heard him chasing her through the house and I hear a loud scream and so I have my father call the cops, call 911."

Brea has not been formally arrested or charged yet. We're told he'll will be turned over to the NYPD once his psychiatric evaluation is complete.

UPDATE: Brea has been charged with 2nd degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon.

1123_michael_brea_footer_v2

lts

2010: ..."officers had to use a taser to subdue the actor"

1980: ..."officers blew his head off with their service revolver"

Tell me, what makes more sense to you?

CC

I found him credited as "patron" on Ugly Betty-hardly a "Ugly Better actor" as the title implies. Why not just say "Actor kills mother" and leave a popular show out of it. Regardless, this is a sad sad tragedy.

TMZgossip

he'll ask for a change of venue to LA so he can use his OJ-Mel Gibson defense

James R. - Los Angeles

OMG. That is messed-up! Do they ever let any good people into hollywood these days?!?!

Posted at 10:32 AM on Nov 23, 2010 by Superman

No, Superman.

The only way to make it in Hollywood is if you're gay, black, Jewish, a drug addict or a scientologist.

I've been locked out because I'm none of the above.

xnewsie

I found he played "Patron" in one episode of Ugly Betty in 2009. I hardly think that categorizes him as an Ugly Betty Actor.

snuffy

He's not on IMDB, anyone actually see him on Ugly Betty?

Dumba$$es

What a moron, sure he will claim reason of insanity and get away with it.

tam

never trust a guy with those eyebrows

unreal

@nab i hate myself for laughing at that joke

christy

It's amazing how desensitized this world has become when it comes to tragedy. The fact that folks can just make jokes about someone's death is beyond cruel to the deceased as well as the family. Hope you all have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving!

Posted at 10:51 AM on Nov 23, 2010 by It's a precious life lost

Thank you for this post. I am appalled at the juvinile, disgusting,
heartless, and just plain ignorant comments on this thread.
What goes around comes around, treat others how you would like to
be treated, karma and all that you know. The first time one
of you morons has something tragic happen to you or a family
member, I hope this is the response you get. (no, I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but I hope at least when that happens you will WAKE
UP and learn some empathy and maturity.

RIP Mom. Sincere condolences to all the family involved.
Tragic.

KWM

@32 Agree with your sentiment. People are callous.

devon

****ing weirdo!! i hope he gets 3 man fists up his ass in jail. he looks like he'd like that though.

Broeheem

See where organized religion takes you? Where was Lindsay Lohan when this happened? I blame her.

CEE

This is not funny... i don't understand how people are making jokes about this... Was he a unstable person before all of this? What made him do somthing this horiffic? was completely out of it or possed because once he's realized what he's done its going to kill him...I'm not sure what happend or why he did it... even if she did something to make him do it... its confusing on y someone would do this...

M