'Ugly Betty' Actor: I 'Killed the Demon Inside' My Mom

11/26/2010 11:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Brea -- the small-time actor who once appeared on "Ugly Betty" -- has an explanation for (allegedly) killing his mother with a sword: "I didn't kill her. I killed the demon inside her."

1123-mike-break-bn-facebook-03

In a frightening interview with the NY Daily News, from the prison ward at Bellevue Hospital, Brea explained how God came to him in his sleep and told him it was to be his last day on Earth.

He recalls how he left his apartment because a man was trying to put a curse on him, and while riding the train to Brooklyn, he explains, "I felt like Neo from 'The Matrix.' I began hearing voices and feeling powerful ... They were asking about the difference between mom and mother. It was a sign."

By the time Michael returned home he knew he was going to kill his mother.  When she asked him to pour water from a pot in which she was cooking chicken, Michael attacked her with a sword, believing a demon had taken hold of her soul.

Michael says, "I was slashing my mom and I heard the police knocking on the door yelling, 'Michael, open up, Michael, open up,' but I knew they wouldn't open the door and stop me because the spirits were protecting me ... I just kept cutting her. No one could stop me. I was doing the work of God."

Brea has been charged with 2nd degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

hell at least he didnt do it on mothers day..

Marisa

It's like that movie "Frailty", starring Matthew McConaughey.

NYchick

When I was reading this I was reminded of that Matthew McConaughey movie Frailty. Especially when he stated the police were unable to enter because of the "spirits protecting him". I think that he genuinely thought there was evil in his mother and while he could be very "mentally sick and ill", he could also have other external factors influencing his decision (devil). Very sad tragic story, most likely he had been hearing voices a very long time.

CD

this man is obviously mentally ill and had a violent psychotic episode. i think its wrong of the hospital to allow the daily news to conduct an interview when he is obviously not in a normal state.

Delilah

"I was doing the work of God"

What an idiot!

God doesn't like ugly.

Jen O.

Why is it all the apparent "Christian" nuts are in the media and never the sane ones? That was certainly not God talking to him...

TXluvsMJ2

It's like that movie "Frailty", starring Matthew McConaughey.

Posted at 8:26 AM on Nov 26, 2010 by Marisa

Not meaning to make light of this tragedy, but it makes me wonder if he saw this movie and if this is where he got the idea? Or if he is truly sick?

Richard J. Christian

kb

If you think this man is pure evil, it is only because you know nothing about the horror of mental illness. I'm not a bleeding heart, just someone who knows that there is nothing but victims in this story.

Bippy

@26 - Why are we so quick to judge a spiritual warrior? Why are we so quick to say "he's crazy" when none of us really knows the truth behind what was done? According to the Bible, there is a natural body and there is a spiritual body. The natural body in this case may have been inhabited by a demon. This man will eventually be judged and, who knows, he may be rewarded for exterminating a demon.

Posted at 9:04 AM on Nov 26, 2010 by Richard J. Christian

Oh my - gonna put the Voo-Doo on you!!!!!!!

Eileen

This poor guy is clearly delusional - obviously has paranoid schizophrenia which is not being treated. This is not his fault. He is clearly ill. Only in the USA (in the civilized world) do you even suggest putting sick people to death. He needs medication and then he'll need treatment for the guilt he's going to have to live with for the rest of his life. This is horribly sad for all involved.

Andrettianna

wooooooooooooooooOOOOOooow. Wow. O.o

Kari

I think he is just hoping to claim an insanity defense--he killed his mother because he wanted to. And I am so sick of these losers hiding behind God for everything they do.

T

This guy is no different than the millions of Theist in the USA. If you believe God speaks to you, or answers your prayers, or believe in some divine spirit that makes you moral, then you are no different than this guy.

There are more people in the USA suffering from a God Delusion than ever before. How people can use their brain 90% of the day and then just shut it off when discussing religion is going to be the downfall of the USA.

No difference than Allah telling you to blow up a plane, any time you believe you are hearing things, you are delusional....

Come on

I get so tired of people saying "he just snapped" over something that was going on in their lives. I know lots about mental illness and you don't "just snap" at the age of 31 and start hearing voices. This dude has probably been schizophrenic for years and just never told anyone and neither did his family. I can assure you that you are just not going to start hearing voices at age 31 for no reason especially over money problems. schizophrenia starts out in very young adulthood and it is very rare for this to take place after the age of 30. This dude has more than likely been dealing with this disorder for years.