David Cassidy DUI Tape -- Wandering Eye Defense

11/29/2010 7:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

David Cassidy's DUI arrest in Florida was all caught on tape -- and during the incident, the former teen star can be heard telling officers that his "wandering eye" could be a factor during the field sobriety test.

David Cassidy DUI Arrest Video

Moments after the Florida Highway Patrol pulled over the "Partridge Family" star on suspicion of driving drunk on Nov. 3 ... a trooper asked Cassidy if he had any problems with his eyes.

Cassidy responded, "I do ... I had a wandering eye as a child ... my right eye still wanders when I get tired."

Cassidy then performed and failed several field sobriety tests -- and was subsequently cuffed. In the report, the arresting trooper claims Cassidy blew a 0.139 and 0.141 -- way over the .08 legal limit.

Cassidy can be heard griping, "As a guy who's supported you guys over the years ..."

The trooper interrupts ... saying, "It doesn't make a difference who you support." Cassidy responds, "I know ... it doesn't."

Cassidy was eventually charged with driving under the influence, failure to maintain a single lane and driving with an open container in the car.

He's due back in court in January.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

CINNAMON

DAVID CASSIDY, JUST LIKE ANY OTHER STARS OR ENTERTAINERS WHO WAS AROUND OR WHOM IS STILL AROUND, ARE JUST ORDINARY PEOPLE. THEY SOMETIMES GET INTO THE SAME KINDS OF TROUBLES AND HAVE THE SAME TYPES OF PROBLEMS. EVENTHOUGH ALOT OF THESE PEOPLE WERE OR ARE IDOLS OF ALOT OF US, WE HAVE TO STOP PUTTING THESE PEOPLE ON PEDESTALS AND SIMPLY START REALIZING THAT THESE PEOPLE HAVE FEET OF CLAY TOO.

jack

what good is a field sobriety test? We breath test anyone who is suspected of drinking and driving. Everyone reacts differently under the influence.

Maggie

I agree with many who posted before me....nothing in the video substantiates that Cassidy was drunk. He stood up straight, was totally coherent, talked logically and respectfully. The half-empty bottle of bourbon is a problem. It was stupid of Cassidy to have that in his car. The video itself, however, helps his defense. I read that if convicted, he will face up to 6 months in prison, and a $1000 fine. I've never heard of jail time for DUI (when no accident/injury involved), especially if it's a first offense. Hope he (1) gets off this time, (2) gets help if he needs it. Some think his ego is too big, or that he's a "has-been"; and therefore make fun of him and put him down. Those people are just jealous. Cassidy's fans have always thought the world of him. The Partridge Family and his teen idol status have overshadowed him....in reality, he has a great voice. Talent runs in both sides of his family...i.e., father, mother, grandparents. I hope he gets through this OK and continues to perform for his fans.

Lorraine

Maybe he could not hear what they were saying because of ear damage from loud music. I am shocked to see the police brutality. Seems like Army boot camp mentality. I was mortified to see the police actions.

ValleyGirl

I suggest to the ones who think David was not drunk, to go over to YouTube and watch the video in it's entirety. Sad part of all this is the charge is a misdemeanor, a lousy less than $200-ticket and a million dollars worth of free publicity for a Has Been-So what if he gets his license suspended, he won't go to jail, he has money to get out of that-He doesn't care about his fans, only what their pockets will generate into his pockets. Just remember, it was you fans who generated $$$ into Arbonne that made his wife a VP in Arbonne within 6 months time and you are the ones in essence who got that car for him to drive drunk in.

Woot

If he's DUI, he's DUI, but that officer was a total JACKA SS! I hate those power hungry types, but otherwise respect the law as a whole.

----------
@Larry Taylor:
At about 1:40--as the officer is asking about any history with Eye issues, David tells him about the "farsightedness and wandering eye" and the cop says

"it's ok, I'm not an obstetrician"

How great would it be if David Cassidy said "it's ok, I'm not pregnant"--

----------
ROFL!!!

Cathy

Loved and supported David Cassidy from the time I was 11 to now age 50. I still attend local concerts of his when he is in town. NOW, David Cassidy is 60 years old you guys. I am in pretty good shape and I practiced standing on one leg minus the trucks passing me at 70 MPH. It seems to me he only messed up on the pointing portion. The eye test, well only a trained doctor can decide. I wish for nobody to get behind the wheel even buzzed and this will be determined by someone other than Florida's finest. Now, I feel the need to watch "Rock Me baby", ya'll know the one, pink suit and all!

chuck

I'm no Cassidy fan, past or present, but the cop was a ****head.

Maggie

Cathy (#76)....you and me both! I need my "Rock Me Baby" fix too..."pink suit and all"! Justin Beiber, you'll never be in Cassidy's league..nor anyone else out there. Cassidy was "one of a kind"...never before, never again...

shirley

Everyone shut up David cassidy is a great guy and I am a fan of his and I support him 100% so if you don't have anything better to say about him don't say anything at all because he is innocent and is not guilty.

Sophia Beck

Oh really #79-He has shot terrible comments to fans, unwarranted I might ad. I think the words you are saying to the bloggers, should be directed to David. This is precisely what he needs to learn. Oh he is not innocent. I have worked with DUI classes-his cognitive skills were not good at all. Well some fans will place him as a God rather than he is just a human being.

jmm

david is a great talent and has given A LOT to the entertainment industry. this is his first offense and should be given a little slack. please....he is not on americas most wanted list for gods sake!!! he was being very cooperative and respectful to the officer who to me was clearly unnecessarily over demanding with his orders and questions.florida is such a screwed up state in so many ways that there is definitley many more serious cases than this for the police to raise their voices about. david move out and let another state receive your tax money!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5