Elizabeth Edwards -- Dead at 61

12/7/2010 7:07 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Elizabeth Edwards died in her home in North Carolina today -- just days after doctors advised her to stop her cancer treatment.

Elizabeth Edwards Death

According to local reports, 61-year-old Elizabeth -- who was married to former presidential candidate John Edwards -- had been surrounded by friends and family in recent days including John himself.

Just yesterday, Elizabeth posted a goodbye message on her Facebook page which read, "The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human."

She continued, "But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that, I am grateful."

Elizabeth Edwards Dead

Michelle

This is so sad, my heart goes out to her family.

panchang810

I just read an article about her this morning in a separate site of her very humbling farewell message in Facebook. Her courage and sense of forgiveness surely have touched so many including myself. My sincere prayers for her eternal peace and also my condolences to her family especially her kids.

KDESQ

I cant help but wonder whether whatever human being is left inside John Edwards is wondering whether he had some part in her cancer returning..such a part of fighting diseases is mental well-being and stress levels. So sad, she was a good person.

Glo

So sad. She is now reunited with her son, Wade.

TorontoWoman

#10 ariuszme

TMZ isn't wrong. They said "was married to" meaning, that when she was alive, she was married to John. When someone is dead, they aren't going say "she IS married to so and so". They will say that they "were (past tense) married to so and so"....

Dina

This woman was strong and couragous. This is not the place to point fingers or us this as sounding board for other thoughts than what it is. This is to honor the life of this woman who fought a hard fight as long as her body would allow her. She is at peace now. God Speed to a wonderful, strong and beautiful woman. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and loved ones at this time.

Laurie

RIP

panchang810

To loser Mike, hopefully the female members of your family are all healthy because if in case any of them becomes afflicted with any illness and dies, I hope you will remember what you just posted here about the late Elizabeth Edwards. You are a total LOSER!

To DeeDee if you can't say anything positive or nice about a person who has just died then just shut your big mouth. This is NOT about poor, black women for heaven's sake!

bring back recent posts

I'm glad she isn't suffering a day more, and I pray to god that her husband doesn't bring that trampwhore into the young childrens lives! He will though !

deborah mcdermott

elizabeth edwards was truly a woman to be admired, respected and honored. this woman lived her life with so much class and dignity. when i heard of her passing i cried, she will be missed. even with all she had to go through, and with being in the media she lived her life with quiet dignity. we all should be like her, she set a great example for her children and for every woman in america. her family will be in my prayers, and like to tell her children that their mother was a hero to everyone, greatly admired and loved. i will miss her, one classy lady.

linda

RIP Elizabeth! My prayers will be with your children...
All the nagative comments that have been posted, SHAME ON YOU! YOU WILL HAVE YOUR DAY TO MEET YOUR MAKER!

val

JOHN WANTED HER DEAD FOR ALIVE HE COULD NOT MARRY HIS SLUT. Indeed it is time to attach her husband John for he is the one who lived to makee Elizabeth's live miserable when she'd already lost one child and he was a male whore. John and Rielle caused Elizabeth to leave this world much too early. I'm a Conservative but I loved her smile and her gentle but kind ways. She was a wonderful mother and wife, and he deserves now to be blasted no matter where he is. JOHN IS A DUMB S*** who deserves the tramp Rielle. Just not his kids, they were Elizabeth's pride .. not her children. WE'LL MISS YOU ELIZABETH .. DO REST IN PEACE WITH YOUR SON WHO LEFT YOU TOO SOON AND JOSH, hope your health fails quickly.

panchang810

Jenna

A lot of poor black women die of cancer too. Just remember that.

Posted at 2:14 PM on Dec 7, 2010 by DeeDee Russel
---------------------------------------------------------------

DeeDee Russel: WTF? Inappropriate comment to the max. I can't even BEGIN to comprehend just what type of person would make a preaching, inappropriate comment like you did.

CJ

Such a sad and tragic story for just so many reasons. I hope that Elizabeth is at peace now. RIP