Elizabeth Edwards -- Dead at 61

12/7/2010 7:07 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Elizabeth Edwards died in her home in North Carolina today -- just days after doctors advised her to stop her cancer treatment.

Elizabeth Edwards Death

According to local reports, 61-year-old Elizabeth -- who was married to former presidential candidate John Edwards -- had been surrounded by friends and family in recent days including John himself.

Just yesterday, Elizabeth posted a goodbye message on her Facebook page which read, "The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human."

She continued, "But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that, I am grateful."

Elizabeth Edwards Dead

Jenna

Rest in peace, Elizabeth. You conducted your life with CLASS. You will be missed.

Annie

A very sad story. Elizabeth was a model of dignity and grace. She fought a great fight. RIP

Julia M.

It is sad but what killed her was taking the hormones and estrogen that she needed to get pregnant at an advanced age and maintain those 2 pregnancies. You can't replace children when they die. In this case trying to do so robbed the family of its mother way before her time.

I'm glad to see that Elizabeth embraced love and forgiveness for a man who was pretty much her life partner through many years of happiness together. I am sure John has much regret for hurting Elizabeth and his children need him.

Edward

She would have made a great Second LADY in the White house. Unlike those cows that are there now.

Dirk

Who cares. We're all gonna be dead. I didn't know this lady and neither did any of you morons. For all we know she could have been a raging **** in private.

Gsharon 710

R.I.P. Prayers to family and love ones.

Tweety

I am sooooo sad for her children. I pray they will be well taken of and loved. It's nice they have their older sister, Kate. Elizabeth was a wonderful role model. RIP

Jdawg

John Edwards karma will be around soon to see you. RIP Elizabeth

Robyn

So now he gets to take his children and go live with Reily Hunter What an A**

TorontoWoman

#76 Fred Farkel

YOU are a NASTY, ageist and misogynistic bastard!!!
So all women deserve to die a horrible death when they hit a certain age? And you condone John's cheating? F*CK You!

Butterfly

ELIZABETH EDWARDS conducted herself with utmost poise and dignity throughout her terrible ordeal. I agree with those who posted that the enormous stress she was under, more than likely, brought back the cancer which was under remission for a long time. Rest in Peace, dear lady. Rest in Peace. Your loving son is waiting for you.

D

Really, Fred Farkel??? I was saddened to hear that the treatment wasn't going to work. RIP. Glad her family was with her.

D

I also agree with the other posts, she would have been a great first lady.

Melissa

What a wonderful, classy and intelligent woman.
Too bad her hubby did not behave himself and stressed her
out even more.
May God keep you in his love Elizabeth.

Sarafina

Rest In Peace to the wonderful and inspiring Elizabeth. That is so sad; and right before Christmas. All my condolences go to her children and the Anania Family (except that cheating dog estranged husband of hers)!!