'Captain Awesome' Dude Gets ID'd

12/10/2010 8:00 AM PST BY Johnny Lopez

That crazy guy who legally changed his name to "Captain Awesome" now has the official Oregon state identification to prove it.

1209-captain-awesome-ex-wm-credit

Last month, unemployed 27-year-old Douglas Allen Smith Jr. legally changed his name after a character on the TV series "Chuck."

Good thing he's not a "Grey's Anatomy" fan, "McSteamy" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

haha

Why does this make everybody so angry and mean?

He's not hurting anybody or doing anything wrong. It's cool.

glenngrabcello

all he needs is a mullet, an eight-ball of crank, and a 1982 pontiac trans am to complete every redneck chick's fantasy

lin

i'm a musician and captain awesome is my stage name, im actually kinda bummed.

lin faulkner

im a musician and that's my stage name. i'm kinda pissed actually.

none

look alike he looks like that dude from real world "Derrick"

Captain EO

Wow who knew the ****suckers on TMZ could be such humorless ****suckers? Anyone can get a job. Nobody changes their name to Captain Awesome. Irrelevent how bald, short or chubby he may be. He's still making news while your dumbasses comment from the safe confines of mediocrity.

Seimei Abe

Don't pay any attention to these envious dullards who try to disparage you, dude. Captain Awesome is an epic name for your dog.

JJ

THIS CAPATIN IDIOT LIVES IN MY HOME TOWN OF EUGENE OREGON I DO NOT REALLY KNOW WHAT THE HELL THE BUZZ IS ABOUT, STUPID LOCAL NEWS MEDIA LIKES TO INTERVIEW LOSERS IN THIS LAME TOWN WHEN THERE IS ACTUALLY SOMETHING MORE NEWS WORTHY TO REPORT EUGENE OREGON IS JUST BACKWARDS IF ANYONE HAS EVER VISITED HERE THEY KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT

Nostradamus

Amanda said, "He has lived in the same home for years."
What's your point?

boudica

John5Oregon, I am with you! I like it!! I liked "McLovin" better, but that was already taken in the movies. Captian Awesome is fun and exciting. He is not as ugly as people are saying either! He is a normal average joe. Quit hating so much folks. The publicity may even get him a job! Good luck Captain, I think you're awesome!

Kiki

Legally changing one's name is expensive, so how did he pay for it? If he's receiving unemployment benefits, then he's Captain Awesome courtesy of the American taxpayer...

Hunnenkoenig

He will cash out on his 15 minutes fame, because all dumb US TV shows will get him as a guest.

If he is a long time unemployed, maybe he had no other choice to earn money. He made the best out o9f it with a really cool idea in a crazy world. If he is smart, he will market himself as long as he can and make a small fortune out of it, while you people will sit here and do nothing, but make stupid comments :-P

wisey

It made me laugh! Some of you are pretty uptight/humorless.

Gemini

Captain Awesome just gave me a laugh. I cant rip on a guy that hasnt done anything to me harmful. Hes a little eccentric, but at least the guys not a child molester or a thief. Im gonna look him up on facebook. I betcha the guy has quite a few friends now.

Captain Awesome

I'm that guy..

The facts of the story have been so twisted that I feel I should set the record straight.. I'm not in it for the attention or to proclaim i'm better than anyone else, I did it because my name was lame and being another sheep in the heard blows & since i'm a junior my mail got messed up with my fathers & I didn't get bills on time & late fees jacked up my credit.. I wanted a name that better suited my sense of humor..

I perform wedding ceremonies & it is helping me promote my services to those who want a less than traditional wedding.. My previous trade of carpentry is directly effected by the housing industry tanking so i'm just trying to eat..

I had no idea I would catch headlines from around the world & get all this attention but damn, if it's going to put some steak on my plate next to the beans & rice I'm not opposed to making a little pocket change..

If nothing else I really want to help make this world a better place so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how I can use this spotlight in a good way please feel free to contact me personally..

You can follow me on a twitter handle that I just made @Awesome_Is_Real or Email me @ GoGoGadgetDoug@aol.com

Thanks,