Howard Stern Ignites Sirius Subscription Mega-Surge

12/9/2010 3:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Howard Stern single-handedly boosted Sirius Satellite Radio sales "through the roof" this morning -- TMZ has learned the company was hit with a tidal wave of phone calls immediately following Stern's big announcement.

1209_howard_stern_EX_TMZ

Minutes after Stern revealed his plans to stick with Sirius for another 5 years -- customer service reps tell us they were overwhelmed by calls from listeners who wanted to sign up for new accounts.

But get this -- we're told "hundreds" of callers were also interested in "re-activating" accounts that had been placed on hold due to the uncertainty of Stern's return.

All hail the king.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

howard is so irrevalant nowadays..he re-signed because noone wants him anymore,,and i bet he got nothing near what he originally got for going to sirus,,he is an old man and likes to say bad words..oh my,,
howard the 70's are calling..they want you back

gene yuss

Hallelujah. He pisses me off at times, but usually he entertains the hell out of me. People who don't like him are just sheep who don't listen to anything but media spin.

silk

dawnmarie -- It's a pity that the only things that can make you laugh is to swear, cuss and talk down on women.

Don Nace

The foul mouthed pervert Stern is why I will never listen to Sirius radio.

Feely McSmackup

Howard who? LOL!!

go home!

I can't believe ANYONE really cares about Howard Stern anymore. He is so 1995. I'm not buying this story.

Bart

What % of my Sirius/XM Subscription goes to pay his salary? And where is my option to subscribe without getting his channel and pay less? There are about 16 million pay subscribers, so if his contract is 500 million over 5 years, that is like $32 per subscriber that goes to his salary ($6/year).

However if only like 10% of sirius subscribers listened to him (and opted in to hear him), the cost for those viewers to hear his show would be 10x as much in an a la carte model, so they would need to pay $60... more per year to keep his salary the same and so the other 90% of sirius/xm subscribers didn't have to pay for a show they don't want.

noriegajon

And the Opie and Anthony Show have nothing to do with Sirius/XM's success? I USED to listen to Howard until I heard about how much of a hypocrite he was.

O&A and Ron & Fez is why I subscribed to XM and now Sirius/XM.

Alan

The Stern-hater comments here a laughably predictable. Howard Stern is a true genius and has made me laugh for the last 20 years. I feel sorry for anyone who has not given him a try and instead just regurgitate what they hear other people say about him. Howard is nothing like what the comments here reflect and he has millions of loyal fans.

Thank you, Howard!!!

Patti

He's soooooo gross, I almost thru up in my mouth! Yuck!

ray

He sucked when he was on reg radio.Glad hes out of my air waves 4ever.Humor for the pre-puberty demographic.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

kids like howard because he drops the f bomb big deal..oh and he likes hookers..grow up people....I just reread the article..a few hundred signed up..big f-ing deal..he just has nowhere else to go and cant retire because he is in too much debt and likes to hear himself talk to weirdos and losers,,the people who tune into him

Menocu

Poor Sal when he cried this morning. what a rotten trick. Hilarious.

wisey

I love the people who "can't stand" Howard, but feel the need to immediately comment on any article about him.

When Howard signed with sirius they had 600k subscribers. Now?? They have 20 million. Like him or not- he's very successful at what he does.

gayle

SIRIOUSLY????????????? Does anybody really care what Howard Stern does?????????????????? NO!!!!!!!!!!!