Oprah Gives Away

More Than a Mil

in Australia

12/13/2010 8:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Oprah Winfrey dropped serious cash on some Australians during a taping of her show today ... including $1,000,000 worth of computer equipment to a local school.

1213_oprah_winfrey_TMZ_ON
O gave over $1 million of HP and Microsoft gear to the Canterbury Boys School -- including a laptop for every teacher and student.

In a particularly tear-jerking moment, Oprah presented a check to a man battling cancer in the amount of $250,000, courtesy of Microsoft. They also got an Xbox 360 video game system.

The episode will air some time in 2011.

ohreally

how bout giving a million worth of computer equipment to the urban philly area, or the compton area

or donated a million dollars worth of instruments to fund a musical department in inner city schools?

or donate it for afterschool programs for inner city or underprivileged kids, white and black

and to #14 when i get in the position oprah is in, i will do 20x more than what she is doing.. trust me

me

should this not read that Opra gave away computers and xbox's on behalf of microsoft........she didn't pay for any of it...isntead grand standing.

Mike

I am soooo sick of the rich giving money away in other countries. Oprah, why don't you look around this one at all the poverty before you give money away. What an a**hole.

zzrider

True charity means you do something without publicity, she's just tooting her own horn. Now we are stuck with a WHOLE network of her garbage. Gag me.

Lena

I think I'm going to throw up!! I bet you that there is a family living not 10 miles from Oprah's house that is not struggling to pay their medical bills in the U.S..Oh and don't forget the millions of families that won't be celebrating the holidays because they don't have any money!
Oprah...stop trying to play GOD and using the Media to promote you.. do it quietly please retire!

Gsharon 710

Good try, but you cannot, will not, have the love equal to MJJ.

Why don't you just admit your cruelty of MJJ and move on. I doubt there is a place on earth that truly trust the kiss ups you call sincerity .

Oh yes, she has helped poor here at home. She gave a supposedly homeless man a hundred bucks. WOWIE ! Dam if they did not catch it on camera.

Now I await the comebacks from loyal Harpo employees. No one should applaud someone who uses the children of an innocent man she trashes.

Gsharon 710

Now yall hush up! Didn't you see Oprie giving a supposedly homeless man in New York one hundred bucks? Why it was taped for all to see.

rM

She gave away $1M worth of other peoples things. And she cost Australia $4M? Someone lost money there and it wasn't Oprah. Sounds like redistribution of wealth -- which is great as long as it isn't Oprah's money. Right Gale? Let them eat cake!

ladydi

I have said for years that Oprah is all show. She should be ashamed of herself for not doing more for those over here. We have so many people without jobs right now that aren't able to provide for their families while she sits on billions. I don't see how she can sleep at night on those 2000 thread count sheets. And then for her to stick her nose into politics was and is outragous! She is not recommending a book to the dumbmasses that follow her, she is messing with everyones lives when she acts like an expert on politics. You are just as responsible for the state of this nation as those that you endorsed so step up do something about it on American soil.

Ginger

Why do people come to TMZ and read these posts if they don't like snarky gossip? They have to know that's what makes this place so much fun. You can not approve of something or someone and not hate them or it. If you are truly offended by people who make negative comments, boy are you on the wrong thread.

Kitty

Im with you Schwez, I watched Kristian's video to his wife Rachel over and over and cried everytime. He amazed me and I am forever grateful to Oprah for what she did for that man and his family. I dont even know him and he touched my life.

jim/dee

I'm sorry Oprah, it looks like people are starting to see thru you, I knew years ago you are only out for the publicity. You never do anything unless there is something in it for you. You make believe you are giving all of these gifts away when they cost you nothing, in fact the people that you "give" to have to pay the tax on everything. "NICE GIFTS" You don't impress me for a minute. Do something for the poor in the USA, unless you forgot, you live here. JUST SAYING.......

Michelle Moore

move on people, yes she gave away 1 million dollars worth of gifts, but us aussies paid 4 million dollars for her being here. It was a good deed organised by her, those companies donated the gifts cause of her name and like her publicity!!! She is meant to be promoting Australia, which she is, but to the tune of 4 million dollars. So please stop bithing she aint spending money in your great country, when those gifts came at a cost to us aussie taxpayers.

backfire

Families and children are starving in this country. What doesn't anyone care about us Americans? We don't have health care or dental care or jobs.

Michelle Moore

U guys are totally right, she should be organising more in her home country than overseas. Homeless starving people all over the world, but she is american so maybe bit more your way I say. And come on 3 million dollars wasted on pearl necklaces for people in crowd? Imagine how many people she could have helped spending it on food/medical to those who need it. Sick of money wasted on people who don't need it.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments