Neverland Ranch -- A Teen Haven for Music

12/18/2010 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The owners of the Neverland Ranch -- the former home of Michael Jackson -- want to turn the property into a teenage music haven.

0910_media_removed_Mel_Gibson
TMZ has learned Colony Capital wants to develop a business plan to turn Neverland into a small music institute -- similar to The Juilliard  School in NYC.  The plan is to teach teens all aspects of music, including writing and performing.

Colony wants to turn the property into a campus, in which scores of teenagers -- rich and poor -- can learn the trade that made Michael Jackson a legend.

There are two big stumbling blocks.  The first is making sure Santa Barbara County will sign off on such a project.

The second -- and bigger issue -- is whether Colony Capital can use Michael Jackson's name to promote such an institute.  TMZ has good news for Colony .... sources directly connected with the Michael Jackson Estate tell us, "It's an interesting idea and we'd be open to it."

Klimentina

OOOH!!! OMG, I love MJ!! He would approve that. And ooh, I wanna study there, can't imagine doing anything else but performing! Why do I have to live in Norway!!?! I can move! :) Love u MJ forever!!!! <3333

mj=inspiration

This is a great idea. Michael was/is an inspiration to many people and most of these entertainers today should take notes cause he knew how to touch our lives with his music and brought alot of happiness to many people all over the world.Haters are jealous of him and always have been because he is THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!You dont know the first thing about writing songs much less number one hits so take your stupid puny little minds elsewhere cause you would never be HALF the genius that he was so go to hell and take your nasty comments with you MORONS!! RIP Michael -always loved and never forgotten.

Missy

There was a "story" afew weeks ago I read(sorry don't remember where I read it) that said MJs kids wanted to buy back Neverland so they would have full ownership and turn it into a museum for/about their dad and family. What happened to that? Since the estate still owns part of Neverland don't the children have a say so about what happens to it? It would be nice to see Neverland up and running again.

Siggisis

Posted at 4:56 AM on Dec 18, 2010 by Missy

I don´t know how that works exactly - whether the estate does take the kid´s wishes into consideration. That said, perhaps the children think this is a good idea. I mean, it is, isn´t it? It makes sense to me at least.
Michael always said that he got much of his inspiratione from kids and youngsters - wouldn´t it be in his spirit to give back in his own and in Neverland´s name?

eyeswideopen

It sounds like a good idea but should not be the only use of the Ranch.I think the whole place should still be used as Michael intended.As a place for sick and underpriveliged to go to forget their conditions and be kids even if just for day.Restore the rides and park,add the music academy,use the theater to show a do***entary of the of Micheals life and all the good work he did.
People who leave the unfounded nasty comments should do some research and look at the facts.M.J. helped people around the world in many ways.
He was acquited of the molestation charges and the other was proved false.Look at the videos on Youtube by Larry Nimmer or Meserau.
He had thousands of guests at Neverland throughout the years if you are going to make clams/comments relating to the false charges back the up wth proof.

moni

Posted at 5:15 AM on Dec 18, 2010 by Siggisis

I agree! This is a beautiful idea and I'm sure Michael would have loved it. It contents of everything he stood for: Music, dancing, performing, his love for children and his support for the underprivileged – if it's true that this school will be open for kids from all social classes.
Neverland will keep its beauty and sereneness, and the residents in the neighbourhood won't have to fear any big traffic.
And if this school will be named after Michael – then it's perfect all around.

MiMi

I think it is a great idea and hopefully one that Michael would have approved of.

But I like eyeswideopen's idea of it also being used for sick and underprivileged children. Although I know it will never be as it was when Michael lived there, I would love to see at least the rides returned so the sounds of childrens laughter would be heard there once again.

Siggisis

Those ads are annoying - I never read them. Does anyone?

kim

I think it is a lovely idea if this story is true. They need to do something with the property worthwhile instead of selling it for someone's residence. It needs to be turned back into the beautiful place it once was. Whether it be a music school or whatever helping kids in one way or the other. A music school for teens rich or poor would be doing that.

rip mj

BNS

A few things...

1. Michael would approve of such a project.
2. However, you can tell by some of the comments here just how this would be accepted by the media and the general population - not that that should make any difference.
3. TMC should stop making it sound like Neverland is owned by Colony Capital because it isn't. Colony Capital owns only 49% of Neverland and cannot make a move without consent of the estate for any kind of project. I'm sure they are seeking a return on their investment, however Michael retained controlling interest in Neverland while he was alive and the estate continues to hold controlling interest.

a3196

Aptly call it the "Michael Jackson Institute of Performing Arts"

paul

Hitler was a half decent artist but he had a ugly unforgivable side also...so drop the Mike was a saint b.s.

ali

I think this is a wonderful idea, and if Michael was alive I am sure he would also love the idea!!!

Raw Shoshanna

Aptly call it the "Michael Jackson Institute for Performing Pedophilic Acts"

FIXED.