Neverland Ranch -- A Teen Haven for Music

12/18/2010 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The owners of the Neverland Ranch -- the former home of Michael Jackson -- want to turn the property into a teenage music haven.

0910_media_removed_Mel_Gibson
TMZ has learned Colony Capital wants to develop a business plan to turn Neverland into a small music institute -- similar to The Juilliard  School in NYC.  The plan is to teach teens all aspects of music, including writing and performing.

Colony wants to turn the property into a campus, in which scores of teenagers -- rich and poor -- can learn the trade that made Michael Jackson a legend.

There are two big stumbling blocks.  The first is making sure Santa Barbara County will sign off on such a project.

The second -- and bigger issue -- is whether Colony Capital can use Michael Jackson's name to promote such an institute.  TMZ has good news for Colony .... sources directly connected with the Michael Jackson Estate tell us, "It's an interesting idea and we'd be open to it."

dd

WONDERFUL!! Michael is smiling...And for all haters..get off of this page, I think u are all pedos. looking for a thrill. The things that run through u'r small minds are sick.

dd

Good info BNS!

Cathy

This is the best idea for Neverland that I've heard yet. It feels like something special should be done with the place, and yet it is true that Michael had negative feelings about it towards the end of this life. My own personal belief is that Michael's complete isolation - which led, imo, to his physical and mental deterioration - began when he bought and moved into Neverland in 1988. I can never see it as a burial ground for him, or even as a museum in his honor. It just doesn't feel right to me. Too many negative memories there.

The idea of a music school campus otoh, seems right. It carries on Michael's legacy, and at the same time might wash away some of the negative feelings associated with the place. It will give young people the chance to learn about the best side of Michael - his life's work of musical performance and composition - rather than dwell on the worst. I think Michael would've loved the idea of the place being used as a school to develop musical talent. And I can see that in 25 or 30 or 50 years from now, the land, the buildings on it, and the musicians it produces might be regarded as the amazing legacy of a brilliantly talented human being, rather than a site of his destruction.

nan

thanks to chico for updating me on neverland..this is an interesting idea...

cryan

@#14. What do you know? you were there with MJ? No, so shut the eff up.

This is what this place should turn into. Forget the naysayers. They never amount to much in their lives. Pity them.

aston

As long as they are serious about it and hire the best teachers, this seems like the best idea so far to me. "The Michael Jackson Institute of Music". As much as we would like it, he's not coming back, and I think he would have appreciated the idea.

They should also have a Michael Jackson museum on the property, and make sure his legacy lives on and is brought to coming generations. All pupils should watch his short films and concert videos and listen to his music.

I hate the thought of business men sipping drinks in Michael's old home, which I believe is what's happening there right now. This is far better. He wanted kids' laughter and spirit around him.

Oh no!

I lived in Santa Barbara almost my entire life. I can tell you this plan will never happen. Most people with money and power in the Santa Ynez Valley, and Santa Barbara would like to see that place bulldozed and turned into a wildlife preserve. Trust me on this one, the liberal mind-set in that area is worse than San Francisco, and they have a lot of money to fight this forever.

aston

@ oh no!: I guess you know what you are talking about, but I can't see anything "liberal" about opposing a musical institute on an existing property with existing buildings. Do they want to bulldoze their own houses as well for this wildlife preserve?

Are those people under the impression that Michael Jackson is an embarrassment to the area? In that case, they are dead wrong. He's one of the people, the geniuses, that America can be proud about, and if they manage to stop this idea in favor of bulldozing the property, they will live in infamy for ever. It would be as if some idiots wanted to take away the Eiffel tower in Paris.

polarize

MICHAEL JACKSON WAS MURDERED PLZ YOUTUBE IT. THE CORE OF THE MEDIA IS BLACK AND CORRUPTING YOUR MIND, MJ WAS KILLED BECAUSE HE WAS GOING TO REVEAL SOUL LEVEL SECRETS. THERE ARE OTHERS WHO HAVE BEEN KILLED,THESE GUYS HAVE GOT YOU MESSED UP LOL.

azlee

michael was a master of music, no matter his other quirks, he changed music. I think he would like other kids to learn music and have the benefit that music brings.

Warren

Doesn't MJ or the Estate of MJ still have an interest in Neverland? The school of music is a great idea. I heard there was talk of a cancer rehab center since MJ had rooms set up for the sick and needy children. Either one is a great idea.

cindy

its a great idea,and all you *******s who always put michael down, you can all suck my ****

juney

TMZ - what's your "in" with the estate, and also with the Jackson family. I think you just print what will get you the headline of the moment. Very nice of NL were turned into a musical monument to Michael; who had that dream last night? Harvey, you? Why would the estate or its attorneys tell you guys anything, please stop fabricating information; we were done with that during the trial and want no more of it. Why don't you go snooping around Tom Sneddon's house and let us know what he's up to.

jason

no the shoudint turn it into a music school cuz mjs kids where going to buy neverland when they got the inhertence from mjs estate