Neverland Ranch -- A Teen Haven for Music

12/18/2010 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The owners of the Neverland Ranch -- the former home of Michael Jackson -- want to turn the property into a teenage music haven.

0910_media_removed_Mel_Gibson
TMZ has learned Colony Capital wants to develop a business plan to turn Neverland into a small music institute -- similar to The Juilliard  School in NYC.  The plan is to teach teens all aspects of music, including writing and performing.

Colony wants to turn the property into a campus, in which scores of teenagers -- rich and poor -- can learn the trade that made Michael Jackson a legend.

There are two big stumbling blocks.  The first is making sure Santa Barbara County will sign off on such a project.

The second -- and bigger issue -- is whether Colony Capital can use Michael Jackson's name to promote such an institute.  TMZ has good news for Colony .... sources directly connected with the Michael Jackson Estate tell us, "It's an interesting idea and we'd be open to it."

Swami Nirav Giri

I didn't know music still was on earth. Thought it died years ago...

nan

michael jackson was well liked by-the people in his community..
he was very generous and very polite and really encouraging to the local artists.
the general feeling was that tom sneddon had a personal vendetta against him..so true...

a racist envious piece o crap who was trying to get the governors mansion on michaels back...
and i hope every time he hears hold my hand or sees that video of people caring for one another.., he thinks of that stupid trial that made him look like an ass worldwide.and he gets physically ill.....LOL

Hardy

I like. Michael would approve of something that benefits society or serves some charitable cause. But our opinion doesn't matter at the end of the day. If his kids wanted to buy their home back completely and keep it as a home, I'd be fine with that too. It's their life. :1

FlowerPower

I'd like to hear what Michael's children wants to do with Neverland,or if they have any say regarding Neverland's future. If they wanted it for themselves for future use, that should be priority.

sylvanya

Stop talking about him negatively ! He gave us a lot of joy with his musice !

lynn

Haters need to shut up and leave their comments elsewhere.

I think it's a great idea to give kids the chance to develop their music careers at Neverland. It was a place of joy and happiness for thousands of kids over the years and so it should continue. I hope Michael's estate agrees to making it into a school and not the empty place it is now. Michael would be thrilled to know his once beloved home would resound again with the voices of young people. His name should definitely be on the school. This would be a fitting tribute to this great man.

Tellit

@ Tellit
Posted at 2:47 AM on Dec 18, 2010 by Alice(from Romania)

Thanks Alice
Happy Holidays to You.

Peace

sylvanya

Yes Kevin, you are right! You are living in free county and you have the right to say what you want! But why are you spending your rare time to write about Michael Jakson ? Question

Cathy

I lived in Santa Barbara almost my entire life. I can tell you this plan will never happen. Most people with money and power in the Santa Ynez Valley, and Santa Barbara would like to see that place bulldozed and turned into a wildlife preserve. Trust me on this one, the liberal mind-set in that area is worse than San Francisco, and they have a lot of money to fight this forever.

Posted at 8:19 AM on Dec 18, 2010 by Oh no!
___________________________________________________________

Interesting info - thanks for posting. When the family was supposedly considering burying Michael on the grounds of Neverland, I understood why the community was upset. My understanding was that they didn't want it to turn into a "Graceland" because they did not want the crowds and the traffic. Not sure what they would have against a music institute, which, if truly a place of learning, wouldn't seem to draw the crowds or traffic that a museum or burial place would. Nevertheless, I tend to agree that if the community of Santa Barbara is against the idea, then it won't happen.

I have mixed feelings about it all. IMO, Neverland brought Michael (in the long run) nothing but misery. In fact, I think the isolation that the property afforded him was his downfall, and the start of his mental and physical deterioration. I think a musical institute is a great alternative to some kind of second Graceland (which I really don't approve of), but if the wildlife preserve prevails, then I can accept that too. It's not as if Michael won't be honored over the years in the form of statues or eventual memorials. I'm sure he will be.

Tellit

Scott

Hey Kevin the forst correction to your post is no it is not a free country nor do you have freedom of speech that is purely a myth. To test this do me a favour and go to the airport and tell the security officers they suck. After your beat down head over to the hospital and tell them health care sucks, then wait 24hrs for your stitches if you survive that long.

What it boils down to is common sense, you post you immature uneducated comments of course you are gonna get it back as what goes around comes around some of us just speed up the process a bit.

Your obviously not a fan so why are you even here? Do you not have better things to do or do you get off on your comments?

Inquiring minds want to know, and hey Merry Xmas!

Peace.

Scott

I think it's a great idea and I hope the estate retains majority ownership so when his children come of age they will have a say.

dd

There are lots of private schools in Santa Barbara I don't think the citizens can stop this one while letting the others exist.

Lets Be Honest

Many people consider this place a crime scene. Just because he wasn't convicted doesn't mean he was innocent.

Sooner or later Caulkin or Feldman will finally admit in public what happened to them since no one wants to believe the other victims perhaps they will believe these two.