'Lovergirl' Singer Teena Marie Dead at 54

12/27/2010 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Grammy nominated singer Teena Marie -- once known as Rick James' protégée -- died in her sleep last night at her home in Pasadena at the age of 54 ... TMZ has confirmed with Teena's rep Lynn Jeter.

Teena Marie Dead

Relatives found Teena's body Sunday morning at her home. Relatives tell TMZ Teena seemed fine yesterday, when she spent Christmas with her brother. Teena spoke at length yesterday with Lynn, who tells TMZ Teena seemed "fine."

So far it's unclear what caused the singer's death -- but the Pasadena Police Department tells TMZ they do not suspect foul play. They say it looks like Teena died of natural causes. The L.A. County Coroner's Office will perform an autopsy.

We're told Teena had a seizure a month ago, but it's unclear what triggered it.

Marie was nominated for a Grammy four times ... her first top ten hit was "I'm Just a Sucker for Your Love."

Story developing...

JB

Wait, why does her official twitter account have a post that was done 10 hours ago, if she died in her sleep LAST NIGHT??

otis

is is another sad day in the music world we have lost a great pioneer for womens music.... i was just reading her facebook page and she had made a post yesterday for christmas ..... teena you will be missed

CLIP

I JUST SAW HER PERFORM LIVE THIS YEAR, SHE WAS SLAMMIN'.

I HAD THE PLEASURE OF CLAPPING FOR HER IN THE MOTOWN RESTROOM ON A SONG CALLED, "IT MUST BE MAJIC". SHE WAS A FUN SPIRIT.

R&B IS GONNA MISS HER, SHE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

sam

you will be missed my sistah

M.B.L

God gave us a great singer and he has now taken her to sing with the Angels.Her music will live on forever.Rest In Peace Teena.Our prayers are with your family..

Abdul Jalil

Teena your irons are forever red hot in the fiery passion that you bought to R&B - RIP my 'Bell' I'll always hear your ringing from the vocal hilltops of the profession you mastered.

Joyce

I am just shocked. I was a teenager when I started listening to Teena Marie. My condolences go out to her entire family.Another angel in heaven. Rest in Peace Teena.

Sarcastic1

She will be talking Square Biz to the lawd. Very sad. She sung beautiful songs.

kickaboo

Deepest sympathies to her family, friends and fans. It is always hardest to lose the ones we love around the Holidays. May Teena rest in peace.

paula

SHE WILL BE GREATLY MISSED TRULY MISSED MAY SHE REST IN PEACE I AM TRULY TRULY HURT BY THIS MISS TEENA WAS THE BEST SINGER IN LIFE I LOVE HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chic

RIP Lady T I know you are in Heaven and Rick also.

Sarcastic1

So sad when great singers use drugs. :-(

jxtr

Lady T, rest in peace.

Celeb Gossip Addict

I'm shocked she never won a Grammy. Who the hell was winning them instead of her?

Doreen

Rest In Peace. Didn't Rick James die at 54 too? Spooky.