'Lovergirl' Singer Teena Marie Dead at 54

12/27/2010 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Grammy nominated singer Teena Marie -- once known as Rick James' protégée -- died in her sleep last night at her home in Pasadena at the age of 54 ... TMZ has confirmed with Teena's rep Lynn Jeter.

Teena Marie Dead

Relatives found Teena's body Sunday morning at her home. Relatives tell TMZ Teena seemed fine yesterday, when she spent Christmas with her brother. Teena spoke at length yesterday with Lynn, who tells TMZ Teena seemed "fine."

So far it's unclear what caused the singer's death -- but the Pasadena Police Department tells TMZ they do not suspect foul play. They say it looks like Teena died of natural causes. The L.A. County Coroner's Office will perform an autopsy.

We're told Teena had a seizure a month ago, but it's unclear what triggered it.

Marie was nominated for a Grammy four times ... her first top ten hit was "I'm Just a Sucker for Your Love."

Story developing...

TERETHA

my condolences go out to her family i grew up on her music.i loved to here her voice even now i still play yhe music you will be loved in my house Teena.may you rest with all the love from your fans.

Valen

RIP Teena Marie. Hey TMZ, couldn't you of found a more flattering photo to be a little bit more respectful to her for the post? Seriously!

Michael Juarez

The Ivory Queen of soul....may you RIP Lady T! You are truly a "one of a kind" artist. I have all your music & I LOVE ALL of your music! My Fav song is "Sunny Skies". Please,all fans of hers,listen to that song after reading this post! She is AWESOME on it! GOD definetly has his most talented ANGEL back by his side.....

Peaches

OH MY GOD.....I'M IN SHOCK...I LOVE LADY T....AND HAVE FOR MANY YEARS...SHE IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A "LOVER GIRL"...HER TALENT WAS HUGE, ALWAYS GAVE THE BEST CONCERTS..INCREDIABLE SINGER..........OH MY GOSH.......HOW SAD......I DONT WANT TO BELIEVE IT......R.I.P. LADY T

SYLVI212

I'm shocked she never won a Grammy. Who the hell was winning them instead of her?

Posted at 6:35 PM on Dec 26, 2010 by Celeb Gossip Addict
**************************************************************
Madonna.

Michelle Brown

Lady T was my all time favorite performer. I was blessed to see her in concert many times. My heart is so sad right now. I thank you for all the wonderful music.
your fan,
Michelle Brown

Pearl M

Rest In Peace Teena Marie You Will Be Missed :(

TERETHA

R.I.P TEENA I GREW UP ON THE MUSIC.I LOVED HER VOICE SHE IS IN A BETTER PLACE WHERE HER MUSIC WILL STILL BE LOVED AND ENJOYED MAY SHE REST WITH THE LORD AND WATCH OVER ALL HER FANS REST IN PEACE TEENA

Darlene

True Talent......RIP Lady T.

Cathy

RIP Teena and my condolences to her family & daughter ROSE KNOW YOU ARE BEING PRAYED FOR... MUCH LOVE TO A MUSICAL LEGEND, SONGBIRD, LADY T...

p1tey1

RIP Lady T!!!! Talk about blue-eyed soul.....she was the real thing.

dd

Tears..soo sad!

Teresa

RIP SISTA....You made it okay for a red haired white woman like me to like funk music back in the day.....I was called by your nickname in school because I was a white girl who loved Rick James....I will be forever greatful to God for giving you to us....Peace, save me a seat in the heavenly audience:-)

B.Toney

I am sure I am her biggest musical fan. I can not sing worth S***T but I have live concerts in my car all the time. Everyone who knows me knows I own everything, in vinyl and again on disk. My children ages 22 - 8yrs know every word, like it or not, just because I play her songs all the time. Cuts from Wild and Peaceful forward.

Wow! Just today I said I will have to buy CD+G for my karaoke machine I just got for Christmas.

I always say she has held it together...true talent. If you don't know what I am talking about, watch the Smokey Motown tribute. No other on that stage could bring it like she did.

I'll be wearing black all week and Blasting her music loudly. :P

By the way... she should have won every Grammy. Jug heads.

namers

Wow, a great talent, how very sad. I am the same age and my father died when he was this age too.

R.I.P.