Richard Chamberlain to Gay Actors: Don't Come Out!

12/27/2010 8:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Hollywood legend Richard Chamberlain -- a gay man who revealed his sexuality in 2003 -- has fired off some shocking advice to other gay actors: Stay in the closet!

Richard Chamberlain Gay

76-year-old Chamberlain -- who became a teen idol in the '60s playing the lead role on "Dr. Kildare" -- told The Advocate, "Personally, I wouldn't advise a gay leading man-type actor to come out."

Chamberlain explained, "There's still a tremendous amount of homophobia in our culture" -- adding, "Despite all the wonderful advances that have been made, it's still dangerous for an actor to talk about that."

Chamberlain continues, "For an actor to be working [at all] is a kind of miracle, because most actors aren't ... so it's just silly for a working actor to say, 'Oh, I don't care if anybody knows I'm gay' -- especially if you're a leading man."

Patrick Henry

I can't tsand this nasty outing of people that the gay community does. People have lives, sometimes wives and children and it is their choice what they do.

As far as coming out in Hollywood, who cares? The only people who care about sex lives are gays, perverts, orgy fest and so on. Hollywood is all about sex and someone is correct about selling sex a la Doris Day and Rock Hudson.

I don't need to know if someone is gay ,straight likes puppies or what...I just want a quality performance when I see a movie.

Chamberland is gay yet his opinion is not politically correct.All gays do not have to be one voice, politically or any other way. The man gave his opinion, he has had the experience and maturity, flip by don't read he said what was in his heart and that's okay. I am GD tired of wimpy azzed nosy people telling everyone had to act think believe or vote. Get a life we don't all need to validate you.

Sensible Sense

Many commented that if a male actor is gay, it'd be hard to fantasize about having sex with him. Well, same is with homos watching lead actors, as they fantasize about having sex with a straight man. Once they know the lead is a butt pirate, they lose interest as he becomes just one of the competitors to corrupt a married man or a straight hunk.

Gays only like what they can't have.

Joe

I still think Tom Cruise should come out. He's as gay as it gets.

kim

THIS IS SO IRRESPONSIBLKE FOR HIM TO SAY & TERRIBLE for younger gays to hear!

If you are in the closet its basically saying you think there is some reason to hide your sexuality.

Sure there will always be haters but staying in the closet is only making the issue worse because then haters say see they know its wrong thats why they are in the closet.

The majority of Hollywood is gay - Mr Chamberlain is being VERY untrue to the gay community with these comments. Sad.

jack

@patrick Henry - Sounds like you were really affected by this post? lol ; )

smitty

Sorry, I just can't enjoy a movie with a gay actor or actress portraying a straight lover in a romantic role. I wouldn't pay $10.00 to see a romantic movie if I knew the romantic lead was gay. Better to keep it to themselves if they want to have a successful career as a leading romantic actor.

flora68

Unfortunately, as long as you're still in the closet, you still have a choice about coming out ahead of you. But once you come out, once you ring that bell, it can't be un-rung.

joey _ I love TMZ 'til ya piss me off!

A lot of us know that certain leading men that are still in the closet, but a lot of people don't believe that these actors are gay, plus rumors of others that are not true. I kinda have to side with #8 - why do they HAVE to come out? A unique curiousity, I guess............
I have a T-Shirt that says: I am a heterosexual - so what?

jack

I can't believe the homophobic comments. What year is this? Glad I dont live in the US

dina

Reality is the name of the game, sad as it is. There are a lot of people that just can't accept a gay man or woman playing a straight role. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. Chamberlan is of a different generation.Today gender is disappearing, but bias still exists and prejudice rears it's head constantly.This is a conservatively bent nation. I love my gay friends not because they are gay but because the are people like everyone else.It seems so simple that it is hard for me to understand why people have a problem with it. I love Richard Chamberlan also.

Tom Cruise

That is why Tom Cruise and John Travolta don't talk about it.

truth hurts

makes sense if that's how u want to make money...people always imagine they could be with you...don't destroy the illusion

truth hurts

I'd say the same is true about singers who get married. Backstreet Boys kind of fell off as they got married one by one...It's all about perception...ur not as sexy married...

Usher's career fell apart when he married and came back together when he got divorced.

Sad, but true.

BigBoyBC

I've have many friends that are gay, most don't parade their sexuality publicly. The few that do, do it just for the attention, then they get upset and overreact when people find them annoying. They start accusing people of being homophobic, rather than accepting that their behavior was more of a factor than their sexuality.

J.

Reading through these comments I wonder where you people come from. You're so backwards and old fashioned. I don't think any gay people would really want to be friends with you.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments