Richard Chamberlain to Gay Actors: Don't Come Out!

12/27/2010 8:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Hollywood legend Richard Chamberlain -- a gay man who revealed his sexuality in 2003 -- has fired off some shocking advice to other gay actors: Stay in the closet!

Richard Chamberlain Gay

76-year-old Chamberlain -- who became a teen idol in the '60s playing the lead role on "Dr. Kildare" -- told The Advocate, "Personally, I wouldn't advise a gay leading man-type actor to come out."

Chamberlain explained, "There's still a tremendous amount of homophobia in our culture" -- adding, "Despite all the wonderful advances that have been made, it's still dangerous for an actor to talk about that."

Chamberlain continues, "For an actor to be working [at all] is a kind of miracle, because most actors aren't ... so it's just silly for a working actor to say, 'Oh, I don't care if anybody knows I'm gay' -- especially if you're a leading man."

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

J.

Reading through some of these comments I wonder where some of you people are coming from. You're so backwards and old fashioned. I justcan't imagine a gay person even wanting be friends with you.

Y do he got

double standards if a female is gay in hollywood the BOX office is FULL and if she does female on female adult than they own the market.But if a weak old male actor even hints that they are gay wam end of story.Does he mean females also?I think he is talking about himself and that it hurt his sells but who cares who F`s who? only those who should`nt the haters.Female on female adult outsells all film but male on male gets them killed WOW are we still in a stone age.

jamie5

the reason gay women get a pass is because people don't care much about girl on girl sex. men actually like that image. with men on men sex it's, culturally-speaking, considered more off putting. i'm not endorsing this opinion....it's just what i've perceived over the years.

TheUltraworld

The only thing the press wants to talk about is his coming out. Every Gay group wants him to lead parades & demonstrations all over the world. He's 76, he just wants to be left alone.

Frederick

How truly pathetic of Richard Chamberlain to say this. He hid his lover away for years. Not a way to live. In England no one cares and gay actors work all the time. This is old homophobia and it is not simply the domain of heterosexuals. He is like a Jewish man condemning other jews to save his life during wwii.

Anita

I completely agree with number 30's comment. I just got through watching The Thorn Birds with my 21 year old daughter. First time for my daughter. At least 20 for me. It's a classic and Richard Chamberlain is wonderful in this movie. We both just sobbed and sobbed while watching. Richard Chamberlain will always be a heartthrob to me. I hope to see him in new projects really soon.
Anita, MI

Detroit

He's a MORON. Homophobia EXISTS because people aren't acknowledging it ENOUGH. Good job rooting for basic HUMAN RIGHTS, sir.

Rachel Rothechild

In the words of Tony Curtis "Gay means happy it does not mean homosexual." And he is right I remember when he announced that he was a homosexual everything dropped for him financially. That is why I was surprised when Sir/Ms. elton John was not socailly ousted. Anyway, he is right. Any known "actor" that comes out now would lose nearly everything. Because people would have felt that they were lied to. That simple.
That is why the so called rap industry is trying to get from. Chris Brown, any new artist 1996 and up are homosexuals and bi sexuals who sold their souls in varied form to get their fame. It has nothing to do with talent. And to get that fame, blood sacrifice, sodomy, are a part of that. G-Unit is G for the Masons order that they belong to and partly controls them.
Beyonce, rhinna, M& M, Jay-Z, Queen latifa, 3 6 mafia, lil john, chris brown, busta rhymes, damon dash, lil bow wow, criss cross was raped by Dupri and he paid them to shut their mouths. Andre 3000, lady ga ga, wu tang clan,jennifer hudson the list goes on and on.....

Lucas

two points
1. IF you make being gay the sum of your character then yeah folks will probably have an issue with seeing you in straight roles. But if you just are and don't act like you have to proclaim it every two seconds, most of the world will have no clue and won't care. After all, not everyone hangs out on gossip sites all day long. Look at the kids from Twilight. 90% of the industry is well aware that she's a lesbian but most of the kiddies have no clue cause they buy into the tabs insisting that the lack of denial is confirmation. And even without the tabs, she's just convincing enough on screen they don't even consider that she's totally acting

2. some guy who didn't come out until he was in his 60s and already pretty much washed up is going to preach whether I and my brothers should be honest about our sexuality because it could cost us gigs. that's a laugh. Hey Richard, maybe the reason you weren't getting jobs was your looks and your skills and not your sexuality. Just a thought

tommy

i like tmz its funny

paul

I was watching SHOGUN, one of my favorite movies besides the thornbirds and another one with chamberlain about the guy who went west, and decided to find out a little about hi. He allways played such a mans man and I had alot of respect for him in many ways. Finding the news hes ..... I cant even call him that has totally ruined a view of him Ive held since 1980 when I saw him in SHOGUN. Ill have to suspend that reality to ever watch him again. NO thats not possible. Richard you should have taken that secret to your grave.

paul

This news means no more thornbirds , shogun etc with the belief that he could really be the person he is playing . Its to much of a stretch. This is why OJ lost out and no one watches his movies being a nice guy and no one will watch richard making love in the thornbirds. No wonder he never wanted to make love to her. Its certainly understandable. He didnt want want to. You cant suspend reality for some things and actors but with richard yu could actually believe he was or at least could have been that person he is playing. Mabe if he was amediocre actor who played comedy ok , but not romantic drama. forget it

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5