MJ Estate:

Discovery Channel is

'Debased, Sick'

12/29/2010 5:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Jackson's estate is unleashing its fury on Discovery Channel for advertising an upcoming TV special set to run in the UK featuring a reenactment of MJ's autopsy.

Discovery Channel Michael Jackson Autopsy
Co-Executors John Branca and John McClain fired off a vitriolic letter to the Prez of Discovery -- obtained by TMZ -- in which they accuse the network of operating in "shockingly bad taste ... motivated solely by your blind desire to exploit Michael's death, while cynically attempting to dupe the public into believing this show will have serious medical value."

The Co-Executors are particularly outraged by a print ad, depicting a corpse sprawled on a gurney, covered by a sheet with a sequined glove sticking out.

1229_mj_discovery_asset
Branca and McClain apparently realize they can't legally stop the show -- set to air on January 13 -- but they are appealing to Discovery's moral decency to cancel the program.

me

Could it be that hollywood and co. are mad because they are not involved financially.They have been doing itfor 3 years with OBAMA.

MAU

simple...I will boycot Discovery Channel from now on!

Paulette

To whoever said the Jacksons should sue for defamation - they can't! They are not autopsying MJ, it is a re-enactment. Defamation would be if they said something false and inflammatory about him, which is not the case.

I wonder how many of the people screaming they won't watch it will be secretly tuning in. Curiosity killed the cat and all that...I think the Discovery Channel will have one of the biggest hits of their broadcast existence with this show.

Posted at 1:00 PM on Dec 29, 2010 by Arauna

Arauna...
I think EVERYONE knows it is a reenactment..I think the problem people have is the advertisement with the GLOVE and the fact that they could do autopsy shows for learning and keep the names out of it...Make it anonymous.
I am sure if this was YOUR family member you would not want to see this televised.
Will you be secretly watching this too or do you not have cable???? :)

mj fan forever

This is so cruel!!!!! Michael Jackson DESERVES respect and this Discovery Channel must only be ashamed for the total lack of humanity and for the badness!!! They should cancel this so-called "program" if they would have a little bit of decency!!!!! SHAME ON THEM!!!!

mymjj5

Did the executors fire off such a letter to Oprah's OWN network? OWN is a part of the Discovery Channel family of stations.

The executors are self serving and playing ball with the powers that be.

mymjj5

BOYCOTT SONY AND DISCOVERY!!!!!!

NickSunset

OKAY that is almost as sick as MJ sleeping with children!!!

bring back recent posts

..don't be fooled peeps, estate just upset cause somebody else found a way to make money and they aren't in the loop! It's 2010, culture has changed, this autopsy show is no more disturbing than Jersey Shore, all the TLC new reality shows coming out and the fact that millions of people think Sarah Palin should be president.

dman

His father is probably pissed because he isn't getting any money out of this. There are all kinds of crime shows, medical shows, etc. dealing with real life cases on TV all of the time. Why is this any different?

thetruth

I love all things MJ. I will read and watch anything having to do with him. Then form my own opinion. I just hope here in the USA we will get a chance to see it. Hopefully someone will upload it on Youtube.

Lorena

"When you were born, you cried while the world rejoiced. Live life so that when you die the world cries while you rejoice." Ancient Sanskrit proverb.

Prince, Paris, "Blanket" please be strong, all this madness is just a little sample of your daddy's greatness...
Michael, you will always be in my heart... receive all our L.O.V.E.

nanunanu

The ad is HEEEElarious! I'll watch it!

Nessie

"There are many people in the US that would like to see us be more like Europe..... I rest my case.

Posted at 12:43 PM on Dec 29, 2010 by And thats the truth"

The UK is Not Europe! It is an island which does not want to really be affiliated with Europe; they think they're better.

That said, a lot of people in the UK loved MJ, which is why Mike planned his come back performances there. But it's also the UK media that adopted the 'wacko jacko' term he hated so much.

Same as in the US: some people love him and some people hate him. Don't blame the UK Discovery channel on the whole country.

kim

Oh I agree with you Arauna. This will be the biggest existence of their broadcast history only because Michael Jackson's name is attached to it. And of course of the timing. Makes you wonder.

And Paulette, I agree they could have advertised this anomynous, without the glove etc. just seems so vile and heartless.

rip mj

Arauna

Will you be secretly watching this too or do you not have cable???? :)

Posted at 1:12 PM on Dec 29, 2010 by Paulette

I wouldn't watch it even if it were NOT a family member; I have a squeamish stomach. It was just a comment on what has been going on since the beginning of mankind - "Oh, I can't watch, oh, I can't look!" all the while peeking through the spread fingers of their hands they are using to "cover" their eyes.

No, I don't have cable, Direct TV, etc. I don't waste my money on the mindless drivel that makes up TV programming, period. I get my news and weather from the net, and that's enough for me. Besides, why pay for an hour's show when over half of it is commercials? Throwing good money after bad, I say...