« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Artest Gives Away Championship Ring -- Keeps Box

12/30/2010 9:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The man who won Ron Artest's 2009-2010 NBA championship ring in a charity auction last weekend claims Ron-Ron only had one stipulation before he handed over the hardware ... he wanted to keep the box.

122910_ron_artest_ring_video
Raymond Mikkael took his brand-new, GIGANTIC diamond-encrusted ring out for pizza in L.A. last night -- where the father of four told us he only spent around $100 on raffle tickets ... and was shocked when he heard his name announced.

Artest's auction raised more than $500,000 to boost mental health awareness -- and the NBA star says he'll do it again if the Lakers can repeat.

For the record -- Mikkael now has one more championship ring than LeBron James.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

NDNchief

As a LAKER fan i'm scratching my head at this. Why the ring? I wonder what his psychiatrist has to say about this? Anywhoo, GO LAKERS ! ! !

Pat

Ron is au-some, I hope that more celebrities, sports figures and million/billionaires follow suite. I read in the Huffington Post the other day that some European Nations are sending aide like school books and food to the U.S.. I never thought I'd see the day, a pathetic day in our history. Anyway good job Ron AND L.A. Lakers!

DIMO

Hey Ron, I became a fan of yours ever since I saw you on TMZ LIVE and The Chelsea Handler Show. I specifically tuned into both shows because of the bad PR that was surrounding you. Guess what? My reaction was "Wow I really like this guy!" Oh yea, by the way, I think you will appreciate this even more when I tell you that I'm older than dirt!

Paddy

If I won that ring in a charity auction, I would hand it right back to the rightful owner. It's just the right thing to do.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

This guy is crazy,,why not donate 500,000 from your own bank account to the crazypeople group and keep the ring..He will be sorry in 20 years when he is old and broke and living in a box on the street

Truth

PROOF REGULAR FOLK HAVE WAY MORE COMMON SENSE THEN CELEBS. THIS GUY SOUNDS ARTICULATE, HIS HEAD IN THE RIGHT PLACE, NOT ON DRUGS, AND KINDA FUNNY - UNLIKE ALL THOSE DOUCHE BAG FAME WHORE SNIPPETS WE GET HERE DAILY.

tracker

WOW.I AM ACTUALLY FOR THE 1ST TIME IMPRESSED WITH A CELEBRITY....WAY TO GO........WOW.COMING FROM A CELTICS FAN ....AGAIN I SAY WOW.....

tracker

PADDY I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK.I WOULD HOPE I WOULD DO THE SAME...

Lucky_130

Good for him, the box must be more important to that nut Artest anyways for whatever reason. If all goes well this season, he will have another ring, but Lebron wont, hahaha

wasted days and wasted nights

Now that's the way you do it, money for charity and the ring's for free. I commend Mr. Artest for this very classy move off the court.

David Dulan

Want didnt you report that Ron Artest ordered two rings when the Lakers won the NBA Finals. This is a nice act ofr Charity. But much less since he still has a ring. No Class Media whore.

Carl

Midnight Toker, appropriate name for you. If more people stepped up and did the same thing, the world would be a much better place. Rest assured he can afford it, and in 20 years he will still be able to afford. Stop thinking like a greedy tyrant, (MADOFF) haven't you learned yet? But of couse knowing how you think, you blame the president for this crumbling economy.

Carl

I'd sell that thing as quick as I could. Wearing it out in public without a bodyguard is stupid. It will be worth tens of thousands of dollars.

SNAFU

I'm sure the Lakers will replace the ring.

Dash

Nice work Ron keep up the good work, truley doubt the lakers will win it again anyway.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments