Congresswoman Shot in Arizona

1/8/2011 5:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot at a grocery store in Tucson, AZ this morning -- and she has been rushed into surgery for a gunshot wound to the head.

0108_Gabrielle_Giffords_ap_bn
After several outlets reported she had died, a hospital spokesperson told MSNBC Giffords was alive and in surgery.

The 40-year-old Democrat was hosting an event at a Safeway when the gunman reportedly began shooting.

According to several reports, the alleged gunman was taken into custody. According to NPR, witnesses described the alleged shooter as being in his late teens or early 20s.

Giffords was first elected to represent Arizona's 8th District in 2006.

Story developing ...

UPDATE 6:45 PM PT -- According to the Pima County Sheriff's Department, a total of six people died and 12 were wounded as a result of the shooting.

UPDATE 3:02 PM PT -- Sources tell the AP the suspect in the shooting is saying he acted alone.

UPDATE 1:12 PM PT -- According to the doctor, a 9-year-old died in connection with the shooting. It has also been reported that U.S. District Judge John Roll has died as well.

UPDATE 1:02 PM PT
-- A surgeon at the hospital says Giffords is out of surgery and her prospects are "optimistic." She was shot one time in the head, through and through. He added, "We cannot tell what kind of recovery, but I'm about as optimistic as it can get in this situation."

UPDATE 12:55 PM PT -- The suspect has been identified as Jared Lee Loughner.

UPDATE 12:50 PM PT -- Richard J. Kastigar, the bureau chief for the Pima County Sheriff's Department, is saying 18 people were injured. The weapon in question was a pistol with an extended magazine.

UPDATE 12:45 PM PT -- Deputy City Manager Richard Miranda tells KVOA in Arizona that Rep. Giffords is currently in surgery, and doctors say she is expected to pull through.

UPDATE 12:15 PM PT -- A statement from President Obama reads in part, "We do not yet have all the answers. What we do know is that such a senseless and terrible act of violence has no place in a free society. I ask all Americans to join me and Michelle in keeping Representative Giffords, the victims of this tragedy, and their families in our prayers."

UPDATE 12:01 PM PT -- A public information officer at University Medical Center tells CNN that Giffords and nine others are in surgery, saying that Giffords "is currently in surgery for a gunshot wound to the head

boogersarecool

Yeah, and it's a TAX write off too, duh. Millions strong do these things worldwide without any religion attached. Religion, I haven't a clue, I can't say for sure...but, it's the cause of ALL our wars! HUM...just GOD's plan, right.

Posted at 11:57 AM on Jan 8, 2011 by katie10

So then what caused WWII? Because I definitely thought it was the Japanese blowing up Pearl Harbor......

Ignorance abounds.

Sandy

It's now being reported that she's alive and undergoing surgery.

SaraBellum

So much horror... and sorrow... and fear... and hatred...

Yet another poison arrow piercing deep into the psyche of North America.

My sincere condolences and hopes for strength to the families and loved ones of those lost, and to the people of AZ.

Sassy

New report is she's alive and in surgery!! Wow! Let's pray she pulls through.

lou

The hospital reports she is still alive, in surgery and in
critical condition.

Just terrible. What has happened to our country???

There Goes My Show

I love the liberal morons blind hatred for Palin - Fear is a powerful thing. And for those who will blindly judge me, I am not a Palin supporter nor do I feel the need to demonize her because I was raised properly and am educated.

LAWRENCE

katie10, please just shut up. At a moment like this it doesn't really matter what side of the asile you're on. There's a reason we elect officials and have a system of government. It's to avoid stuff just like this. If you're looking for attention then just run around your trailer park naked for a few hours.

boogersarecool

Katie- still waiting on your explanation of how religion caused WWII, since religion caused "ALL our wars".

...well?

There Goes My Show

Katie - Katie - Katie - each post you make just provides more evidence that you are mentally crippled. Thanks for the laughs.

dew dew

who cares..one less Politician is a HUGE GAIN for the American public.

Dutchguy

I believe this is a political assassination inspired by right wing rethoric by the likes of Palin, Fox-network etc. etc.
Palin has a guns bullseye on her district for heavens sake!!!!
Republicans killing Democrats in the USA today. You're in BIG trouble.

gd45

...well?

Katie is an idiot, everyone knows it's the americans fault for WW2, if they hadn't strapped the whole debt of WW1 on the german's they never would have been in a desperate enough state to have someone as crazy as hitler in power and the whole thing could have been avoided.... so once again america= center of all major issues.

As for this congresswoman i hope she is able to pull through, and to all the other's involved my condolences to their family and let's hope the shooter gets the punishment he deserves.

There Goes My Show

Katie10 - who's life am I in? Are you talking about my family members, sorry, we are in each others lives and actually enjoy being so. Maybe if you have a loving family, you might not be so misguided or hostile. Have you tried match.com?

M

Giffords was on Palins target map!! 2nd Amendment remedy?

There Goes My Show

Oh Dutch - why do you have to make such assumptions - why not wait and find out who the person they have in custody is and what his/her motivation was - when you make these kind of blind statements you really show others what kind of person you are - and what you are showing is not something to be proud of.

GD45 - I agree with you - Katie10 knows the talking points but does not know how to connect them together or what they actually mean - I guess she is too young to know better.

M - are you blaming Palin for this action without knowing any facts - seems kind of biased to me.