A.J. McLean in Rehab

1/13/2011 2:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

A.J. McLean from the Backstreet Boys has gone into rehab again ... TMZ has learned.

A.J. McLean Rehab

One source tells TMZ McLean has been "out of control" in the last few months because of substance abuse, and it was interfering with plans for the Backstreet Boys' upcoming tour with New Kids on the Block.

Sources say on a Backstreet Boys cruise last month ... A.J. appeared under the influence much of the time.

McLean has battled addiction for years. He was in rehab in both 2001 and 2002 for alcohol and cocaine abuse.

McLean made a cryptic reference on his Twitter account, writing on January 9, "I love u all and wish me luck! I start my sober journey tomm!"

On January 10, McLean tweeted,  "See u on the other side!"

Video shot during a BSB cruise for fans last month shows McLean with what looks like a beer -- amber liquid with foam on top.

011310_aj_mclean_video4

UPDATE: A.J. released a statement saying, "For personal reasons, I’ve checked myself into a rehab clinic. With 2011 being a busy year for Backstreet, I want to be healthy and perform & sing for people at my very best and happiest. None of this will affect our current tour plans and I look forward to seeing everyone really soon! Thank you for all of your support and respecting my family and friends privacy during this time."

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

AB

I have been a BSB fan since '98 when I was in elementary school and LOVE them with all my heart--met them over the summer 2010 in fact.

I hate to say this but the cruise was a horrible idea-I think most of us knew it was going to be a booze cruise, yet AJ and Nick for that matter were placed in that environment. And furthermore, AJ and Nick need to rid of the enablers in their lives even if they are romantic interests and friends. Praying for you AJ.

nancy

Well they are no longer boys???should be men....They are nothing great...pretty much suck..whey they were younger they were okay...but oh well boys time to hang it up

Amanda

You people talking **** need to get a life.

I am proud of AJ. He's struggled for awhile and does make mistakes but he has the courage and smarts to realize that and try to help himself by going into rehab. I LOVE YOU AJ AND I AM PROUD <3

j

Flipping parasites there to CAPTURE IT all. Makes me sick.

I've been a recovering alcoholic sober now for 5 years. It always makes me sad to see someone fall back into old habits.

Ashley

Wow...they all seem to go down the same path...to much money gets them all in trouble

A.J.

to all of you no believers in rehab f**k you. seriously come to Sacramento and look me up i will make your life a night mare you will want to wake up from...btw. why don't you f**k tard stop using your selves and get rehab this isn't some damn NA meeting full of cons and junkies. this is a accredited rehabilitation clinic not just for people using. maybe if you had more than a quarter of a brain you would understand. but you are too damn deep into your own problems.

sarah

I'm a new reader. I am also a backstreet boys fan.

I'm glade That Aj is Happy. and He is at a good place.

Rochell, Aj both got Engaged.

I am so glade that They got the crozed.

That could be a some good Party . for him/her
I'm glade that he give that up for Rochell.

sarah

I'm a first time Reader.

I'm a backstreet boys fan.

I'm glade that Aj McLean is Happy and is now in good place.

Both Aj and Rochell got Enaged.

I am So glade that Him or Her and the backstreet boys and wifes got The Croize

It's must be a really good Party

I'm glade that Aj can get the Help he needs.

and Give it all up for Rochell

sarah

I would like to show TMZ to slve it

Nicole P

Good luck man! I hope that you will be willing to learn some new ways to deal with life on life's terms. More power to you.

mhian

i like aj`s voice so much !!!!

Madison

I am praying for you A. J. All the way. God bless you and your family. I have alot of anxiety and depression as well .Can not seem to be happy. I am starting to have a drug addiction as well. Vicodin. Take care and good luck . I love you . A fan from Portland Oregon.

Allie Smith

I love AJ so much :) he is a great guy and I sure hope he is doing good :) God Bless you AJ I hope your doing ok love you so much you take care of yourself I will pray for you that you will be better love your biggest fan forever always Allie :)

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5