Ricky Gervais and De Niro

'Golden' Controversies

1/17/2011 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ricky Gervais and Robert De Niro both talked their way into a firestorm at the "Golden Globes" last night ... after each attempted risky jokes that some consider downright offensive.

0117_gervais_gay_launchRobert De Niro Golden Globes
Gervais' dig came while commenting on the movie, "I Love You Phillip Morris" -- when he said, "Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay – which is the exact opposite of some famous Scientologists ... probably." Gervais added, "My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke."

A short time later, De Niro left jaws hanging while thanking the Hollywood Foreign Press for his lifetime achievement award ... saying, "I'm sorry more members of the foreign press aren't with us tonight, but many were deported right before the show along with most of the waiters. And Javier Bardem."

So we gotta ask ...

0117_globes_footer

Cookie

I don't get it Gervais jokes. Can anyone tell me what's up
with his 2 big teeth?

NICOLE

I love to watch old talented comedians videos. .. What a difference between Bob Hope and this guy Gervais... It's like to try to compare a Rolls Royce with a Hyundai car.

chanol2400

NEITHER!! Deniro is the man and I thought his speech was really funny. I don't know much about American policies or whatever (cuz I'm not American) but I didn't take his comments to be racially charged. Ricky was okay. Loved Natalie Portmans speech too! Americans are so sensitive.. everything has to be so politically correct its outrageous.

TheMachine1

The people that were offended by Gervais were rich pretentious celebrities. And that's why it's funny.

APRIL

The comment that was offensive was the last minute the show was on and Gervais said he wanted to thank god for allowing him to be a Athiest.

WellSinceYouDidntAsk

When in 50 years we are living in North Mexico and Western Rome is a memory, PC folks will wish they had listened to the DeNiros of the world joking about the barbarians.

WellSinceYouDidntAsk

Robbie74

Thank you, Shanan Li! I was thinking about that, too.

Will Free

YES - ISN'T IT OBVIOUS, SMALL, BUT OBVIOUS...

Posted at 8:25 AM on Jan 17, 2011 by LarryH
Is that what you think TMZ is? Tourette Micro-penis Zone.
What are you talking about?

What a perfect blend of Micropenis and Tourette Syndrome !!
Posted at 8:19 AM on Jan 17, 2011 by Will Free

Chi-city momma

WOW, can no one make a joke anymore without SOMEONE getting offended. Both these men are COMEDIANS! Guess what, they tell jokes for a living and at some point in time EVERYONE says something to offend SOMEONE.
The old saying goes "You can't please ALL the people ALL the time"

Rudy

They're jokes! Stop being such over-sensitive babies. It is okay to joke about gays and illegals, just like everyone else. Quit whining and suck it up. Weirdos.

sib

News flash TMZ. Just because the handful of you libtards find these JOKES offensive, doesn't mean the rest of the sane world does. The sheer arrogance that you nutcases think you can set the national narrative is astounding, but oh so hilarious. And for the record, both Gervais and De Niro are liberal Nazis just like you are. Shouldn't throw stones from your glass houses.

erin

Remember the talent of the old days when comedians didn't have to be malicious and nasty to get a laugh? I think that's because it took more talent than it does to merely come up with comments that demean and embarrass. The result of what Ricky Gervais did on the Golden Globes last night for me, creates a sense of sadness and disappointment. We pay an entertainer (if you can legitimately call him that) - to demean, embarrass and cause harm to others. We live in a difficult world as it is; in my eyes this is absolutely unnecessary. Ricky Gervais should be embarrassed and apologize to everyone involved including the tv audience.

pam

Very funny, I was Offended by the 'Not Offended' option. I live in AZ. and if you look Hispanic you better have your papers on you, Harvey, was a lawyer and you might want to check this out. You are treated as a 'Illegal' before given the Innocent Until.... So, you must have do***entation on you at all times because a cop , Border Patrol etc. can stop you and ask for your 'legality' into this country. I was a bit miffed that Hispanic Actors were not included in the Joke? And with all that money in that room, Downey SHUT UP, your clean and a smart ass not a funny guy, a smart ass. They all get paid to much for what they do, I do not even know most of today's actors. I will not pay 20 bucks to watch movies that are just no good or done for money.Private Schools? that was a problem.Pay the teachers more fools and you would not have to worry about it. I really do not like people with money.

ERP

They were both funny. The only reason the actors and actresses were not laughing was because no director told them to laugh or no writer wrote it into their script. Or maybe they were laughing but we couldn't tell due to so much plastic and botox in their faces.......Lighten up!!