Ricky Gervais and De Niro

'Golden' Controversies

1/17/2011 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ricky Gervais and Robert De Niro both talked their way into a firestorm at the "Golden Globes" last night ... after each attempted risky jokes that some consider downright offensive.

0117_gervais_gay_launchRobert De Niro Golden Globes
Gervais' dig came while commenting on the movie, "I Love You Phillip Morris" -- when he said, "Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay – which is the exact opposite of some famous Scientologists ... probably." Gervais added, "My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke."

A short time later, De Niro left jaws hanging while thanking the Hollywood Foreign Press for his lifetime achievement award ... saying, "I'm sorry more members of the foreign press aren't with us tonight, but many were deported right before the show along with most of the waiters. And Javier Bardem."

So we gotta ask ...

0117_globes_footer

scarlet bliss

haha! Good one, learnmachine. Yes, I am going to agree with the folks saying neither comment(s) were offensive. People are so oversensitive. Like many here have said, I'm sure DeNiro meant no malice in his immigration comments. Ricky... well he's always pushing the limit. Still, his comedy thrives on being politically incorrect (and succeeds). He's great. It's so obvious that he was reprimanded for his opening act. And how sad.. I was really looking forward to more of his zingers. Anyway, lighten up, Hollywood! xo

AustralianGQ

ricky gervais is my new hero. his jokes were pretty awesome!

robert de niro's comments were funny too. but i understand why people are upset but who cares. its a joke, lighten up.

vgabnd

Both spot on, both hilarious. They are jokes. Maybe a strange venue, but, clever nonetheless. De Niros a legend. Let him do whatever he wants at this point. And, if they didn't want offensive, biting comedy, then why in the hell did they get Gervais to do it in the first place!? Thats his shtick!!

MaryAnn

I think Ricky was funny,maybe the honesty in the sarcastic dry humor is not understood.Ricky you have to dummy it down for Hollywood.

Robrat

I felt both comments were funny and true! And if they're true then they certainly can't be offensive.

I'm moving to Mars

As long as the PC-brigade keep getting their way (with Hollywood & TMZ leading the charge) we're in for one boring and humorless future.

renee garba

Gervais was brilliant, the show was otherwise boring

me

I LOVE De Niro BUT WITH THAT COMET am not to sure

cking

this was the best mc ive ever seen! for once it was not a lame dress show! what is wrong with people? its called comedy!! the idiots running the globes pull the most interesting mc in years.

dey

Do people know who Ricky Gervais is? Why the shock. That's who he is and I'm sure that's why he was hired, for the shock value. I guess everyone will be downloading his show "Extras" on HBO now. RICKY GERVAIS IS THE MANNNNN. EVEN HIS NAME IS COOL.

ayorayor

Long live Ricky Gervais!

I loved the Sex and the City joke, and everything else. These shows are so boring, but I was at the edge of my seat! I'm glad he took these prima donnas out of their comfort zone ~ especially Willis and Robert Downey Jr.

TSIG

When you start singling out individuals among your peers for ridicule, that's just cruel bullying. There's nothing funny about it. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH to Ricky Gervais. Get a new host for next year. Do NOT reward this homophobe with another show.

As for Robert DeNiro, I guess he doesn't mind if his children have to complete for jobs with illegal immigrants overrunning his town willing to work for less than minimum wage and under the table with no benefits. There are plenty of legal immigrants and American citizens who would love some of those waiter, landscaping, and construction jobs for a living wage.

laura12345678

the difference between Gervais' jokes and the De Niro's one is that Gervais said nothing but the truth while De Niro....didn't, it was simply racist.

TSIG

Worth repeating:

Remember the talent of the old days when comedians didn't have to be malicious and nasty to get a laugh? I think that's because it took more talent than it does to merely come up with comments that demean and embarrass. The result of what Ricky Gervais did on the Golden Globes last night for me, creates a sense of sadness and disappointment. We pay an entertainer (if you can legitimately call him that) - to demean, embarrass and cause harm to others. We live in a difficult world as it is; in my eyes this is absolutely unnecessary. Ricky Gervais should be embarrassed and apologize to everyone involved including the tv audience.

Posted at 9:58 AM on Jan 17, 2011 by erin

Katy

I love Ricky Gervais. I don't think that joke was offensive - I think it was hilarious. He's clearly referring to Tom Cruise and John Travolta. LOL. That's freaking great.