Ricky Gervais and De Niro

'Golden' Controversies

1/17/2011 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ricky Gervais and Robert De Niro both talked their way into a firestorm at the "Golden Globes" last night ... after each attempted risky jokes that some consider downright offensive.

0117_gervais_gay_launchRobert De Niro Golden Globes
Gervais' dig came while commenting on the movie, "I Love You Phillip Morris" -- when he said, "Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay – which is the exact opposite of some famous Scientologists ... probably." Gervais added, "My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke."

A short time later, De Niro left jaws hanging while thanking the Hollywood Foreign Press for his lifetime achievement award ... saying, "I'm sorry more members of the foreign press aren't with us tonight, but many were deported right before the show along with most of the waiters. And Javier Bardem."

So we gotta ask ...

0117_globes_footer

crtb

NEITHER
I never watch that show and Ricky Gervais is the reason I watched it this year, he didn't disappoint. He did exactly what everyone knew he was going to do. Stop acting so surprised people! Please let him host the oscars!!!!

Anonymous

Gervais was hilarious (I've never seen the Office and alot of sitcoms as it's all white supremacist bs). Never liked Dinero and all those clips shows he can't act. He had on alot of disguises but the character was all the same. Give me that little Italian guy anyday over Dinero (you know the one in Casino).

O-Dog2GX

Both of those jokes are based on mindsets. Not necessarily their own.

Rob

Give me a break. It's entertainment and if you want to see worse thing then watch the frickin movies they are honoring. Offended? In todays freedom for anything and you're offended? Ever see a roast? Are you telling me that no one knew what either of them were going to say before the event? If so, that's a reflection on their performance, not theirs.

RJ Hunt

People need to lighten up...I think both jokes were funny...and pretty true too...

buck

why is everyone so easily offended? i am a white, southern man and things are said every five minutes on tv that could "offend" me, if my skin was as thin as it is white!

Jill

Amazing! In one night, HFPA managed to take what little class Hollywood had left and flush it down the drain. I was uncomfortable and embarrassed even watching. Ricky made a total ass of himself. What happened to the classy production’s... where we enjoyed watching worthy actors/actresses earn what they had worked so hard for. His appearance was both “crass” and “class-less”. Watching the Golden Globes this year was no different than attending a comedy club while wearing formal attire and seeing an actor being “roasted” And on top of all that, “roasting” some of today’s classiest celebrities, (mainly Robert Downey Jr. and Johnny Depp) seriously??? At least do some homework if you are going to “Roast” Ricky… Robert has been successful and living clean for more than 5 years....You couldn’t come up with someone who is throwing their life away???…maybe Lindsay Lohan? And Johnny Depp is one of Hollywood’s leading men. Ricky's“act” (if we can call it that) should be cornered by maybe a cruise line or comedy club!

Jill

LizzyTX

Agree with the 'not at all offensive' comments..
Gervais is the only reason I watched the Golden Globes and De Niro was hilarious..
People need to learn how to take a joke, laugh at themselves, and have a good time..
Geez

TiredofRealityTVstars

Neither were funny or offensive, since they were both so truthful. I'm just glad I didn't sit through an entire award show for that.

Elizabeth_NC

Neither one offended me: what DID offend me was not being able to choose "neither" as my answer. This is like being in kindergarten again, surrounded by the tattle tales, only it's adults doing it these days. Mind your own business; tend your own plot, etc, etc. Stop worrying about what everyone else is saying and/or doing.

augusto G

Both were very very funny!!
where is the neither button in the poll above ?????

TeriB

Oh Stop it...
Not everybody who says something wrong is a fascist or a racist or a sexist or a classicist and on and on and on and on and on....
Put your energies into something that needs it, stop with the stupid stuff.. these guys are both intelligent .. they will figure it out... witch hunts are no more noble...so find a worthwhile cause..

Charlie

Uh...I think De Niro was in poor tast notice how Matt Damon STOPS Laughing!! ( Matt met his wife in a Miami Night Club while she was bartending. She's from Argentina) And I'm sure De Niro wouldn't like black jokes as his wife is black . And kids are Mulato!!...yessa massa!!

Rachel

I didn't understand... people have made jokes like this before and people didn't blow it up into a big thing. Ricky Gervais is kinda crude, but why did they invite him back then? He was that way last year. I thought he was hilarious by the way... some of his comments were uncalled for, but most of them were funny. And I don't think Robert De Niro meant anything by it. He was just trying to incorporate some jokes, and I thought he was funny :)