Ricky Gervais and De Niro

'Golden' Controversies

1/17/2011 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ricky Gervais and Robert De Niro both talked their way into a firestorm at the "Golden Globes" last night ... after each attempted risky jokes that some consider downright offensive.

0117_gervais_gay_launchRobert De Niro Golden Globes
Gervais' dig came while commenting on the movie, "I Love You Phillip Morris" -- when he said, "Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay – which is the exact opposite of some famous Scientologists ... probably." Gervais added, "My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke."

A short time later, De Niro left jaws hanging while thanking the Hollywood Foreign Press for his lifetime achievement award ... saying, "I'm sorry more members of the foreign press aren't with us tonight, but many were deported right before the show along with most of the waiters. And Javier Bardem."

So we gotta ask ...

0117_globes_footer

Doug

What a bunch of whiny crybabies. Change the channel if you don't like it.

John

Ricky Gervais....Why is that the UK and Aussies only have a sense of humour? Come on America..lighten up.The truth hurts sometimes especially when told as a joke.

Dont take yourselves seriously...Hava' laugh.

Aaron saxton

Ricky Was great! Go after those arrogant scientologists I say!

Rocko

Gervais was hilarious (I've never seen the Office and alot of sitcoms as it's all white supremacist bs). Never liked Dinero and all those clips shows he can't act. He had on alot of disguises but the character was all the same. Give me that little Italian guy anyday over Dinero (you know the one in Casino).

Posted at 10:23 AM on Jan 18, 2011 by Anonymous
------
De Niro's characters are NOT all the same. Do some research before you type. If he couldn't act then why the hell was he being honored?! Idiots these days...

Sassy

I want some of Ricky Gervais so much more now than ever before. A wicked sense of humor and definitely hot in bed.

Jennifer

I thought it was GREAT!!!! Thank you Gervais and DeNiro for standing up to the Hollywood Bullies and letting them know what the normal real people really feel about them. Especially those Scientologists!!!! Gervais you deserve more than an OSCAR, you deserve the NOBEL PEACE PRIZE!!!! God Bless you and thanks for the terrific jokes!!!!!

RickMNL

Just loved it - made a self-righteous award fun for a change. Ricky should present the Oscars but use his full strength stand-up persona, rather than the toned down Globe jokes. Offensive now. Hilarious yes - watch those celebs squirm!

Beach

Cruise & Spacey are well known homos. That rumor has been out there for 15+ years! I'm glad he made that joke.

Beach

One other thing... how can they be offensive if the comments are TRUE!

osa handlers

Since Scientologists worship celebrities, if for nothing else than they help bring suckers in the door, I can see them being the ones mainly offended by this. L Ron actually targeted specific celebrities he wanted to use for marketing purposes.

Lila

Honestly I find them both hilarious! I mean I understand being offended by some things but these jokes were made in a light hearted fashion, intended to merely make someone laugh. I mean come on people! Most jokes make jabs at certain peoples or groups, so laugh it off. It's not like these were intended to be mean spirited or hurtful.

angel

Oh my gosh! Now they are climbing all over De Niro! Get a sense of humor! This is what I hate about political correctness no one is allowed to have any sense of humor about anything. What a bunch of pompous self rightous twits. Take your millions and sit down and shut up then. Laughing at oneself or just in general is good for everyone. Taking yourself so seriously all the time is absurd and leads to big fat overinflated egos....oh well thats what we've got isn't it?

Jena

It's called "humor." Sometimes jokes are offensive, but it's okay because they are jokes and not meant to be hurtful. If people can't laugh at themselves, then what is the point of comedy? I think both men were funny and the only people contesting what they said are the people with sticks up their a**es.

Katrina

who cares! The least was Ricky, funny as hell! (the only reason why I even watched the show!

Emmy

Let's get real people. Who really cares if Gervais cracked these types of jokes? Hollywood elite can be SUCH BABIES! For the amount of money they make in their professions, they need to deal with this type of Humor, even if it's at their own expense. If they don't like what they hear, then don't go to the awards shows! It's called HUMOR! If they can't stand the heat, these Primadonna's should not step into the kitchen. But alas - they can't stand missing out on this type of notoriety and attention-shrouded award !