Ricky Gervais and De Niro

'Golden' Controversies

1/17/2011 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ricky Gervais and Robert De Niro both talked their way into a firestorm at the "Golden Globes" last night ... after each attempted risky jokes that some consider downright offensive.

0117_gervais_gay_launchRobert De Niro Golden Globes
Gervais' dig came while commenting on the movie, "I Love You Phillip Morris" -- when he said, "Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay – which is the exact opposite of some famous Scientologists ... probably." Gervais added, "My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke."

A short time later, De Niro left jaws hanging while thanking the Hollywood Foreign Press for his lifetime achievement award ... saying, "I'm sorry more members of the foreign press aren't with us tonight, but many were deported right before the show along with most of the waiters. And Javier Bardem."

So we gotta ask ...

0117_globes_footer

David

"Neither! It is what it is and I think both were hilarious!"

annie2

That was a good joke, R (57). They should have you help write the show next year. And good point, stephanie, these people have awards shows about 10 times a year it seems. We're so fabulous, we're so worthy! Spare me. Most of us go about our business doing more important things and getting paid .0001% of what they do so I couldn't care less if their egos are wounded over a little razzing.

Leo

Neither!!!! Its comedy!!! Why do these acceptance speaches read as if these people are saving peoples lives. They are just making movies! It is entertainment nothing more!

Herman

What happen with DeNiro?,,,,He becomes a nazi in his old age?
does he forgat where his family came from?....He try to be a
comedian and funble bad!!!!!

Clyde

When Steve Carell pushed that little icky Ricky aside , he should have aimed a little lower.
Just after a week or so after the public has been warned by the news that radio hosts should ratchet down the mean spirited rhetoric, along comes this little bugger from across the pond.
Ricky go back, you are unwelcome here.

Jason

Both were edgy jokes, but I wasn't offended by either. I hear worse than that in my office!

I took DeNiro's comments as a dig on the government's immigration policies more than anything else. Was pretty funny to me. The only Ricky Gervais joke that I thought was pretty tasteless was the one about "Ashton Kutcher's dad..." Otherwise, he was pretty funny.

Spotlight

There apparently must be a lot of $cientologists voting against Gervais. Who else would consider that joke offensive? Those greedy, litigious, charlatans deserve to be bashed.

Richard S. Drake

Oh, gee, I wonder who Ricky Gervais was talking about?

Yes, we should all shelter thin-skinned, whiny celebrities!

Tigerman

It's called "comedy," you thin-skinned, Liberal, Jew bastard.
Quit being such a ****.

Jeff Dranetz

I was taken aback by the scientology remark made. It perpetuates a long running destructive false rumor. Not unlike the "Rod Stewart" rumor in the early 80's. Just because someone hadn't fathered a child doesn't make them gay. Not that there is any thing wrong with it. This person probaly had a vascectomy while in his marriage to his first wife, and older woman. Then when is second wife had an unexpected pregnancy... well, we now can figure out why he left her. Then, now being with his new wife, he must have had the proceedure reversed. Thus the new child, that has an obvious genetic resemblense.
I had expected Ricky Gervais to be very funny. I was sickenly disappointed. I was even hoping he'd carry over his UK Office character to the US version, with Steve Corell leaving. I'm not so sure I'd want that now.

Wowza

Darn, I can't vote as neither comment was offensive. However, it is highly offensive that a 'Neither' option was not provided in the selection for an answer.

Chance

Ok, what is happenning to North America? First the u.s. screws with Huck Finn because of a word, then Canada bans "money for nothing" on public radio because of another word , and now this? There is no controversy here.. my guess is deniro was making a joke about the big joke of "homeland security" and it actually really is funny when homosexual men use the even funnier church of scientology to help them get rich off their lie. Who cares???? They are entertainers. Jesters. They are actually here to amuse us. The problem with this extent of political correctness is that it completely ignores reality.
Are we turning into the 50's matriarch old bitty grandmother sitting at the dinner table refusing acknowlege she's not a virgin?

Ghost

WHO cares??? "Famous" people giving each other "awards"....Just in their own little world...

PatinNJ

The scientology remark was spot on!

HarlotO'Hara

Ricky go back, you are unwelcome here.

Posted at 8:12 AM on Jan 17, 2011 by Clyde