Mel Gets $163K Legal Bill From Oksana for ONE Month

1/18/2011 3:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson just got a legal bill from one of Oksana Grigorieva's lawyers, and probably thinks the name of the firm is Bend, Over and Pay.

0118_mel_alan_shifman_oksana_tmz_ex

Sources connected with the case tell TMZ ... Alan Shifman (aka lawyer #41) claims he racked up a $163,000 fee for work performed between October 15 and November 15, 2010.  He left the case after feuding with lawyer #39.

We're told Shifman is asking Mel to pay $600 an hour -- that means he worked about 272 hours during the month ... which translates to 9 hours a day, 7 days a week.

As we previously reported, Oksana's attorneys have asked Mel to pay more than $1 million in legal fees.

For Mel, it's even harder to swallow than a Ricky Gervais monologue.

0708_gibson_fotter_550

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

A2: Hope your newest comment gets posted (from old thread)--doubt it will BUT she read it anyway, so you hit your mark. Good job!

Billing Mel outrageous amounts: old news. I'm sure he broke this our for us because the old thread was getting burdensome on his servers.

Re hunting up the threads: try using your history in your browser. I try to clear out my history (about once a week works for me) then it is easy to pick out which thread you want. View by site. It works for me!

Maya

angelika466

How in the he!! can anyone afford an attorney in LA?

realist

Hi Ketjo, Yeah, I know; they pick up a case folder and move it to a different part of their desk, and then bill the client for a 15-minute "file review". And like azlee said, phone calls are the easiest to bill for. There's a minimum of like 6 or 10 minutes for billing, even if you only talked for 2.

I just hope that Judge Gordon can put a cap on this. A level playing field is one thing, playing musical chairs with 42 lawyers is quite another. Level playing field means level costs, at least to me. I know when Levine and Co., submitted a bill for over $800K, Judge Gordon cut them down to $250K. So all is not lost. I think Shifman will be lucky to receive half and what he billed.

gimmeabreak

"Beneath contempt. There are no other words to describe this. Keep it up Grigorieva. You will be lucky to get a job playing tinny upright pianos in a carnival after this.

Posted at 12:07 PM on Jan 18, 2011 by Maya"

HAHA! By the time this is over with she isn't ever going to need to work again. :)

You gonna pay Mel you gonna pay! (evil grin)

fuddyduddy

Hi Realist--I believe that the other charges are in addition to the hourly rate of the attorney. Now, I have not seen paper and ink charged on an invoice, but me personally, I was charged $250 per hour for copy time for 8 hours! I called that my $2,000 copy job!! I was so mad, but the bar said it was 'reasonable' and 'customary.' That's why I have said before--attorneys have a license to steal! They all look after each other, and there are VERY FEW I trust. Anyway, paralegal fees would be separate, as would other professional fees and investigator fees, process server, court reporter, etc.

middleagedcrazy

I actually started laughing because I realized that if the piano player was calling or texting 10 times a day -- probably average from what we know of her --

1/4 hour for each message x 10 = 4 hours for one day just on phone and text. 4 hours x $60...0 per hour = $1800 per day. $1800 x 30 days = $5400 -- and that is just for short telephone and text stuff. Can you imagine the charges if it is lawyer #8 calling lawyer #10 to send files to lawyer #41?

What a racket.

Tee hee

fuddyduddy

Posted at 12:18 PM on Jan 18, 2011 by realist
Even that went back to Judge Gordon for review over some discrepancies, and we do not know what final ruling he made.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

Outraged at this? VOICE it to the people that count! A one line letter stating what you think is better than no voice at all!

Steve Cooley, D.A. of Los Angeles

Governor Jerry Brown
c/o State Capitol, Suite 1173
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 445-2841

Write!

M. Gabriel

@SAM: I seriously doubt that it will. Yesterdays comment was much more diplomatic than todays! I was deliberately going for a direct assault! It's as though this insecure moron practices dictatorship in his sleazy site rather than fairness. Some just can't handle the truth. But she got my message, loud and clear! LOL.

Patty

I understand that the wealthier person pays the legal bills but there is such a thing as abuse of the system and this sure seems like it. Let's hope the judge reduces the amount Mel has to pay.

realist

Hiya Fuddy,

I got all that you were saying about billing, but I consider a para-legal an employee. And that's the difference to me. If the para-legal was an independent contractor, that would be different.
Investigators and process servers are usually, but not always, outside contractors, so those fees would be acceptable to me, as part of the "costs" of pursuing a case. I just cannot fathom any attorney being worth $60...0 an hour! Thank goodness there's do-it-yourself dissolution in CA, along with no-fault.

Sorry about your copy bill. I'm with you on that one. That's some secretary's job, and it's in her/his job description! I guess I'm just too "old school" when it comes to stuff like this.

wvmama

What is it the richer the person the higher the bill? Who in their right mind would be entitled to have that many lawyers. It might be fair to expect a husband who has behaved badly to have to pay for one. But here we are talking about a xboyfriend/babydaddy to pay over 50. Lets get real, for one they are to old not to know how to use protection and this woman has more tales than Mother Goose. This has gotten completely out of control. Maybe she should have to pay for ALL the legal eagles his included!!

Curious

Fuddy -
Thank you :). I rather thought that was the case, but you know me and legal stuff, lol.

realist -
Hiya :)
Any experience I've had with lawyers, their overhead was covered in the general hourly fee. I was never charged with a fee for the lawyer plus wages, electric bill, paper, ink, file folders, etc.

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

A2;Yeah, I doubt it will post either--doesn't matter your 'target' audience got the message. :)

Ew! A troll. Is that you Ox, crawling out from your rat hole?

Comments would be nice....give them a click for writing a good article!