Regis Philbin -- I'm Retiring from the Talk Show

1/18/2011 11:14 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin says he's finally ready to give up his talk show gig ... after 28 years on the morning shift.

0910_media_removed_Spencer_Pratt
79-year-old Philbin made the announcement this morning on "Live with Regis and Kelly."

Regis said he'll tape his last show towards the end of the summer -- but he didn't give a specific date.

During his announcement, Regis joked, "There is a time that everything must come to an end for certain people on camera, especially certain old people."

0118_regis_through_the_years_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14

tam

Regis will be missed. Kelly has been carrying him for a while now. At least he realizes that it's time to bow out and he is doing it with class. Thanks for all of your contributions over the past 28 years Regis!

Donna

I hope they don't think kelly can do this alone. lets face it she's a nobody who played on a soap opera and TRIED to carry her own sitcom ... yeah that didn't work and neither will this. Maybe if she looked like a grown woman instead of a 12 year old, maybe she'd have a chance, then again being a talk show host really should focus on the guests and not always turn everything around and make it about her, she makes me sick. I'll never watch this show again!

As far as Regis. OMG he was making 18-20 MILLION? Are you friggen kidding me for one hour a day, this stuff makes me sick that these people make so much money for what? And who ever told this man he could sing? Not him nor Joy could really hold a note.

Galvan

Regis has been fabulous and will be missed very much!! Kelly Ripa is the total everything though on this show, funny, witty, beautiful, intelligent.. those of you that think she is annoying need to take another look, she really has a great way about her and makes the show!! Go Kelly!! Regis you will be missed though.

wanda

Regis:
As a retired lady sitting watching you on TV I will miss you and your sweet self and many laughs. Enjoy retirement dear friend, you and Joy enjoy retirment together, time is so precious. Goodbye dear Regis

Jackie Simmons

Regis is a class act that will be missed by all of his fans.

Jackie Simmons

I only have a few mornings a month off from work.Regis and Kelly are the way I look foward to starting off these well deserved mornings.

christine

Hi regis I wish you would listen to your good friend Barbara Walters. I watched the show and she thinks you should stay, just because your turning (80)doesn't mean you can't work on your show. Work three days a week one does not want to retire. You want to keep your body and mind moving. I've loved you and the show and Kelly also,please think about what your friend, said to you.

mary edwards

I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED THE OTHER DAY WHEN YOU HAQD STEVE IRWIN'S WIFE AND DAUGHTER ON YOUR PROGRAM. YOU DIDN'T GIVE NEAR ENOUGH TIME. THR YOUNG DAUGHTER SEEMS TO REALLY KNOW SO MUCH AND YOU DIDN'T GIVE HER HARDLEY ANY TIME AT ALL. MARY EDWARDS mje1928@yahoo.com

cathy smith

Kelly makes a point of letting viewers know when Regis make a mistake. She makes them too. That is so ugly of her!! When Regis leave, we will not watch the show. Look out Kelly, the leaning tree is not always the first to fall!! Regis is a LEGEND!! Kelly I hope you learned enough to keep you afloat. GOOD LUCK REGIS HAVE FUN, AND ENJOY LIFE!! HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON ON ANOTHER CHANNEL.

Yvonne

Regis: Are you apsolutely sure that you want to retire because. you and Kelly make quite the pair, besides I enjoy watching you to on television.

cathy smith

Again!! Regis can't even make A joke, without Kelly turning it into A mistake. What goes around, comes around!! Her with all that skinning,and grinning.Some are saying that Regis should take Kelly with him,meaning, she should get off T.V.I agree but go in another direction, like one of the SOAPS thats going off the AIR.I love every body.But I do not like people ways when they seem to back stab their friends.

Yvonne

Regis. Are you apsolutley sure you want to retire because you and Kelly make quit the pair. besides, Ilke watching you.

Kim

I would like Neil Patrick Harris to take Regis's place.

Previous 15 Comments | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14