Regis Philbin -- I'm Retiring from the Talk Show

1/18/2011 11:14 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin says he's finally ready to give up his talk show gig ... after 28 years on the morning shift.

0910_media_removed_Spencer_Pratt
79-year-old Philbin made the announcement this morning on "Live with Regis and Kelly."

Regis said he'll tape his last show towards the end of the summer -- but he didn't give a specific date.

During his announcement, Regis joked, "There is a time that everything must come to an end for certain people on camera, especially certain old people."

0118_regis_through_the_years_footer

WILL

I don't know that I will continue to watch the show w/o "the Reeg"

Lee

Well, that takes care of AM TV for me..I will miss you Regis, many a day through the last years, you have brought laughter and smiles into my life , Besides, I think you're VERY sexy!! Good luck to you., Kiddo !!
Never could get used to the "Kelly" part though..You were fantastic on your own .. The best to you dear friend

Jane

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I remember when he started out in L.A.!! ( and beleive it or not, I'm not that old!). Seriously, it won't be LIVE anymore, and there goes another piece of history! So sad!

midTN

Thank God....the dementia is setting in fast!

Zider

When he started talking about himself in the 3rd person that was so annoying. Good Bye Regis. Anyone will be better, he is stuck in the 60's.

Judy

LOVE Regis, just LOVE him. The show will never be the same w/o him. Sadly, my local cable company took Live! off our schedule a few months ago to put Nate Berkus in that time slot. Idiots.

NillyGilly

He said.. he's not retiring.. just moving on, to do other things!

Pat Van Alders

THANK GOD---PRAISE JESUS---ITS ABOUT TIME THAT OLD MAN STAY HOME--I THINK HE'S HAD DIMMENSIA FOR YEARS---HE SHOULD HAVE RETIRED 10 YEARS AGO---HE IS SO TIRED & BORING---ALL HE CAN TALK ABOUT IS HIS PRECIOUS "ZOO YORK CITY" HOW CLOSE HE IS WITH DAVEY LETTERMAN & NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL--!!! POOR JOY---HOW THAT WOMAN CAN PUT UP WITH HIM----AND KELLY SHE'S JUST A DUMB OLD AGING VALLEY GIRL WHO NEEDS A MAKE-OVER !!!!

jay blaisdell

The Reeg. The only man i know who uses Glidden's Spread Satin Hi-Gloss white paint as a teeth ( denture ? ) whitener.

George Earl

Aw, Regis, I hope it's not too late to begin using the time you've got left. We'll see.

jealous of kate

the show should just be CANCELLED WITHOUT HIM. I don't care if he is old and out of touch with some things. EVERYONE is not on top of somethings. Just look at Harvey Levine's knowledge of rappers, basketball players, ALL SPORTS PLAYERS, ETC.... Regis is the base of the show, Kelly, and previous bozo, just sidekicks.... cancelled the show and if they MUST keep KELLY, redo the ENTIRE SHOW so it is not just her and her husband, etc. I bet Regis goes out in AUGUST, HIS 80TH BIRTHDAY.

smellyecoli2

Thank God!! About time!! What a bore!! Should have retired the day after his first show !!

surebet

#18: Sounds to me like you are your own worst enemy, because if you don't like the show, stop WATCHING IT!!! Most people that dislike something, stop doing it and do something else. Maybe the show for you is : Ellen Degeneres Show!!!!

surebet

His time has come, just like #4 of the Vikings(Brett Favre). I think when time has come and people are in show business or sports, ONE never knows when to retire. But who could blame them, because the networks or sports teams are to blame and they keep paying these long over due RETIREES..................

donna

I really don't see the show making it without Regis...cause Kelly is just plain annoying...I don't care who they get to co-host with her...REGIS keeps the show going!!!!