Regis Philbin -- I'm Retiring from the Talk Show

1/18/2011 11:14 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin says he's finally ready to give up his talk show gig ... after 28 years on the morning shift.

0910_media_removed_Spencer_Pratt
79-year-old Philbin made the announcement this morning on "Live with Regis and Kelly."

Regis said he'll tape his last show towards the end of the summer -- but he didn't give a specific date.

During his announcement, Regis joked, "There is a time that everything must come to an end for certain people on camera, especially certain old people."

0118_regis_through_the_years_footer

smellyecoli2

Show for the weak minded!!!

Donna

Regis:
I have been watching you when I can since 1990, I will miss you as I miss Kathy Lee. I sometimes call Kelly Kathy Lee sorry Kelly nothing against you I just was used to her.

Regis I will miss you, will the show be going off?

gailer

OH NO!! I love Regis! and no more Oprah
Both shows are on opposite each other in Chicago-wonder what they will put on?

HarlotO'Hara

so for those who talk about his age, i'm sure you won't mind folks making nasty azz remarks about you when you're his age.

Ginger

If Regis was so boring he wouldn't still be on the air. Obviously there are a lot of people including myself who really like Regis. I can't think of anyone who could replace him but I really don't like that Jeff Gordon. He's not funny. I think it might just be the end of Live...and I'm very sad about that. I look forward to wathing Regis every morning and the fact that he forgets things is cute.

Keith

Go do the things you've always wanted to do, Regis. If you can remember what they are.

geowhiz

Gee, what's that moron Gelman going to do now?

BTDT

I've liked this guy since he was Joey Bishop's announcer.
Hope he enjoys a long and happy retirement.

Deborah Schall

will miss you and good luck on your retirement

tacky66

don't think for a moment, kelly ripa can take over the show. the show needs to retire, if he is gone, and it is and was his show, she should not stay with a co-host. i would only accept it, if her husband is the co-host, otherwise so long kelly ripa. she has a big mouth, not as bad or offensive as kathy griffin one before her who endlessly talked about her kids, regis is and was a saint with these two.

Donnahe

Oh No Regis!!! We don't want you to leave. Don't go because you think it's time. You're still zippy and snappy and make us all happy. So what if you forget, so do we all over 40 and you make us laugh about it. I love Kelly too but you'll really be missed.

your own luck

Regis is a one of a kind personality. He is leaving as a class act. May he enjoy the rest of his life.

endustrimuhendisligi

Reed

Regis can't say I'm sorry to see you go.Hung in there wth you for years only cause I was waiting for the moment that you called Kelly out on air for her constant BRAGGING about her kids and husband basically in the first moments of EVERY SHOW!! Looks like you will never call her out, so TATA Dean Martin wanna be.....

John

Yeah, Reg retire. You have done more than you have needed to. You and Joy relax some. Now to find someone that will tone down Kelly's enthusiasm and yet bring some class to the show...I know I have heard names such as Anderson Cooper and Jeff Probst...Im thinking someone with a good sense of humor, yet not a comedian...a good personality that people would just like...Mike Rowe-ish