Regis Philbin -- I'm Retiring from the Talk Show

1/18/2011 11:14 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin says he's finally ready to give up his talk show gig ... after 28 years on the morning shift.

0910_media_removed_Spencer_Pratt
79-year-old Philbin made the announcement this morning on "Live with Regis and Kelly."

Regis said he'll tape his last show towards the end of the summer -- but he didn't give a specific date.

During his announcement, Regis joked, "There is a time that everything must come to an end for certain people on camera, especially certain old people."

0118_regis_through_the_years_footer

Ginger

I mistakenly said Jeff Gordon when I meant Jeff Probst. He is not funny and I know I would stop watching if he became the host (or cohost). And Kelly does go on and on about her kids...who cares? That was what was so annoying about Kathy Lee. Nobody wants to hear you talk endlessly about your kids!!!

Cheesehead

I was watching. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER did he say or use the word retire! Retire suggests mutual agreement by both employee and employer. Something tells me that this is not the case here.

Mike

There truly is a God.My prayers have been answered,that moron is leaving

SalGal

Regis - you will be missed! I enjoy the show; both Regis and Kelly are very entertaining. For those of you who are complaining - just don't watch, if you don't like it. For those of us who thoroughly love the show; it'll be sad w/out Regis. In Kelly's defense, I really enjoy watching her, too. She can make fun of herself, w/out bragging. Regis will be a tough act to follow.

JACKIE

Please Regis DON'T GO!!! I have watched you every single day & you are the last of the ones I could count on!! My world will never be the same!! Please don't leave & put Jeff P in your place. I don't like him!! I adore Kelly but I think if she was put with him that would be the end of the show!! Sorry Kelly!!

Tuula

RP, please please stay, there are other that can go, they will not be missed.

E

Reg sucks!! Never could watch him and his lame antics. Just die!! Now that I'll watch.

soulofanangel

REGIS,

The fifties are over can't live in the past,

But if the world was that, we'd all have a blast.

regisandjoy.com - would be the perfect domain to
share your future plans

Sautxyca

You know what they say: To know when is enough is true wealth — and wisdom. Leave while you're still ahead and go out with style. Carson knew when to leave (though we still miss him and there is no replacement), now Regis. If only Bahbwah Wahwah would take a hint.

Lori

Love Regis - will miss him and wish him nothing but the best!

Ralph Novak

At last he makes us smile.

David Willis, Dallas, Texas

Regis, thank you for some very good years. Go out in style.

Gail

Wow...It really is the end of an era. First, Larry King, now Regis. Just like when Johnny Carson left, I will be sad and truly miss him, but happy that he can enjoy his retirement now.

airmenz1

I think they should get rid of Gelman and Kelly and let Regis do a show his own way !!!! I have noticed when Kelly is gone Regis does actually better without her...

carol castle

So So sorry to see you go.... I hope Mark takes your place.Good luck and god speed