Regis Philbin -- I'm Retiring from the Talk Show

1/18/2011 11:14 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin says he's finally ready to give up his talk show gig ... after 28 years on the morning shift.

0910_media_removed_Spencer_Pratt
79-year-old Philbin made the announcement this morning on "Live with Regis and Kelly."

Regis said he'll tape his last show towards the end of the summer -- but he didn't give a specific date.

During his announcement, Regis joked, "There is a time that everything must come to an end for certain people on camera, especially certain old people."

0118_regis_through_the_years_footer

Ellen

I just hope when the people referring to Regis' age find people that will be kind to them when they get older and forget things.
They should all remember we are all headed the same direction and could all have memory loss at anytime in our life. I think it is sad how people are being very unkind now that Regis has decided to retire. I think he is very entertaining. Love Regis and Kelly I think they are very good together. And Regis you will be missed, I look forward to seeing you and what you have to say everyday. Love Kelly too.
Happy retirement Regis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Kasha

Promise? For Real? That's what Oprah said, and then she bought her own TV station and is still annoying us. What kept Regis on the air for 28 years is a mystery. What a loser. Hope Rippa will leave, too. Another no talent.

Jane

I simply love Regis&Kelly! I will miss Regis very much; it is his show in my opinion, and only he knows when to go...I adore Kelly who is very good at entertaining.
The show is run by gifted 3-Leos (Producers) and I am excited by the thought of what they will present to us next.
I enjoy Pat Sajak (Wheel of Fortune), seems like a possible fit...He works hard also.

Joe

I can't believe it. He has been a staple in our household for 20 years. He will never be replaced and I will miss him so much. Kelly and Regis brings so much sunshine into peoples lives each morning and when Regis leaves, a cloud will cover some of that light. Good luck Regis. We love you and don't listen to those negative comments about you and Kelly and you losing your memory. These people could never do the job that you do. I still think that you are at top form. Soon I will be joining you in the retirement mode.

Donna

Yes it is time for Regis to retire. But without him I dont think the show will make. I think ABC should cancel it. It just wont work.

Toni

It's about time, about 10 years overdue. Most substitue hosts are better than he is.

Butterfly

THIS IS A DREAM COME TRUE FOR KELLY RIPPA. At last she can finagle to replace Regis with her no talent husband as her co- host so he can finally contribute his share to their expensive life style. WAY TO GO, KELLY!

bill

I can't believe some of these comments. Regis has a job that he does very well. If HE thinks it's time to move on God Bless. We all have jobs I hope and I hope we put as much time and effort into the work we do. I'm just concerned that he'll keep active enough.

Y do he got

If you retire..they`ll just roll you in the corner at the nursing home and leave you in your dirtys.Try BEEEP my dad says once in a while.You may as well talk until^ wtf else can a yap like you do?.

pam

i will miss you i think some of the others who r commenting like 4 wish they could do the job and get the money boo whoo to them

Truth

REGIS HAD HIS HEY DAY... HE'S BORING NOW AND IRRELEVANT JUST LIKE LARRY KING WAS/IS. HE REALLY IS OUT OF IT AS TO TODAY'S ENTERTAINERS AND CURRENT EVENTS. HIS MINDSET IS 40YRS AGO BUT HIS OLD DICREPID SELF IS SITTING THERE AS KELLY'S GRAND DADDY. LOST INTEREST ABOUT 2 YRS AGO WHEN ALZHEIMERS BEGAN TO SINK IN. TRUTH...

barb

Can't imagine a more annoying combination than Jeff Probst and Kelly Rippa. Yuk.

Yidmash

THESE KIDS~ NOWADAYS all want to retire at 80 bak N my time no one EVER RETIRED EVER EVER until plop plop friz friz^^^

LALA

I hop they get Mark to take his spot...Kelly and him are great together when he fills in...He is sooo funny and he would be great!!!

fioo hoos