Regis Philbin -- I'm Retiring from the Talk Show

1/18/2011 11:14 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin says he's finally ready to give up his talk show gig ... after 28 years on the morning shift.

0910_media_removed_Spencer_Pratt
79-year-old Philbin made the announcement this morning on "Live with Regis and Kelly."

Regis said he'll tape his last show towards the end of the summer -- but he didn't give a specific date.

During his announcement, Regis joked, "There is a time that everything must come to an end for certain people on camera, especially certain old people."

0118_regis_through_the_years_footer

Suzanne

I totally agree with #23.....Reeeegis you will be missed! Thanks for all the many laughs...great times and funny stintss! Hope you can enjoy your retirement with your beautiful family!

Ashley

Will miss Regis. He is the last of the decent, respectable entertainment talk-show hosts on-air now and can not be replaced. But, understand and wish him all the best. Regis is a class act! Wish there were more like him.

shia

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take Kelly with you! So sick of her too

vinn

What took him so long to retire, should have been day 1.

Pwolffie

When he says 'certain old people', I am SURE he means Barbara Walters!

Y do he got

CAN YOU PLEASE TAKE KELLY WITH YOU? she kan change your bed pan and drive you around crazy.plus she is much older than you are?

xpmark

I haven't watched since my wingman Kathie Lee left the show,but Regis gave years of fun shows.Kelly is cute but I never could bond with her,you know like Whoopie Goldberg.Reege, please take Letterman with you.He is a sick man in places that are hard to cure.

Greg

Regis is a true person. One of the few remaining real talented people around. A lot of the people responding negatively think that so-called 'entertainers' are people like Justin Beaver, Paris Hilton, Myley Cyrus etc. Just a torrent of no-talent boors dressed up and presented to the general public as 'entertainers', 'actors', 'singers' etc. It's just amazing what the public likes anymore.

I will miss Regis' banter with Kelly and I will miss him and so will a lot of people with any taste.

Libby Garcia

FINALLY, YEAH.

Tony

Hey No: 18 There is a remote control, it's your choice!!

Peggy

Wow,
Regis, good luck in retirement, enjoy your grandchildren and time with your wife, going to miss you and your humor. The show won't be the same without you, I am sure they will find a good person to sit beside Kelly every morning. Just think Regis, no more problems getting that dang phone to work, LOL.

C. Gordon

I like Regis, but new blood would be nice. I just hope they choose someone who can talk above Kelly. She drives me nuts

bettsocmary

Regis,you have been my AM wake-up for the yrs since I retired. I could have watched your "chat with Kelly" for the whole 60 minutes. Always things I could relate to with my family and grandkids. Loved you and Joy together also. Bring in Mark!! to the nasty people. There's pleny of "dirt" that you can watch!!

Naomi

I wish they would get rid of Kelly Rippa.. Its hard to look at her scrawny body. There is no doubt in my mind that she is anorerxic. Her arms look gross... As for Regis - I wish him the best - he had a long career and I hope that he will enjoy his retirement.

BSweet

79????????????? He's 79? Wow. I never would have guessed. He carries himself well. Oh, I have not seen the program in probably 5 years, so if his health has degraded I wouldn't necessarily know.