Regis Philbin -- I'm Retiring from the Talk Show

1/18/2011 11:14 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin says he's finally ready to give up his talk show gig ... after 28 years on the morning shift.

0910_media_removed_Spencer_Pratt
79-year-old Philbin made the announcement this morning on "Live with Regis and Kelly."

Regis said he'll tape his last show towards the end of the summer -- but he didn't give a specific date.

During his announcement, Regis joked, "There is a time that everything must come to an end for certain people on camera, especially certain old people."

0118_regis_through_the_years_footer

KristinaLA

Regis looks a little like Bill O'Riley in that photo.
Anyway, nobody's going to watch the show without Regis. CBS should just end the whole show.

Red Sam Rackham

REgis looks good despite his age but he's wise to retire and enjoy taking it easy; may he still have many good years ahead. He's been a TV talk fixture since his days with Joey Bishop. Hope he leave Kelly with a good replacement.

Gayle

Congratulations on a long, long career, Regis. It's time to enjoy the rest of your years with Joy and take life easy now. You've earned it, some of us will miss you, others not. I've always laughed at people who just refuse to change their channel if they don't like what's on the screen. As for Kelly, it will be interesting to see who they get to be her co-host. Maybe with someone else on there, she won't be so goofy and slapstick-like. As far as her talking about her kids, that's her life, just as Regis talked about his girls, too. Kids make for funny stories, sometimes, people.....again, change your channel if you don't like it. Good luck and God bless, Regis.

Sandy

Word has it in NY Regis is sick & tired of ABC's liberal BS they try so hard to shove down everyone throats.
He is a conservative who stayed way too long making the liberals look good. He has had it and now gets a much deserved rest from NY liberal bias and BS

vivian

love Regis!! ,but I can not watch the show with Kelly on it, she just sucks the air out of the room,all she talks about is her self ,and her boring family.

Lucy

Regis is forgetful, but still makes me laugh. I would love to watch Mark and Kelly as hosts of the show...they are really cute together.

bailey

I think that replacing Regis will be extremely hard. He can is extrmely charismatic and very adept at what he does. The most interesting part of the show is the host chat and he always makes me laugh.

Sloane

gotta love the Reege! big daddy!

he's one class act and I hope that once he retires he will continue to pop up in the public eye occasionally

he is a true gentleman and has made his guests and his audience comfortable for years with his authentic love of both

he will definitly be missed on a daily basis but I am glad that he will have more time to devote to his family- especially his young grand children

Sloane

...forgot to say

so happy that when Regis retires he has his well desrved Emmy on his shelf at home

he deserves another one for longevity...
and for all the careers he helped to boost to even greater stardom -like Mary Hart, Howie Mandel..too many to name...

no one ever has a bad word to say about him-in or out of the entertainment industry

for the shows like Millionaire that he helped to launch with his likeable hosting skills

he is a man born at the right time doing exactly the right thing and doing it better than anyone ever has or ever will

just my opinion but I know a lot of loyal fans over the all the years age of 50 wil agree!

bailey

So far the only cohost i really enjoy has been Anderson Cooper who now has his own talk show. Can't stand Probst. Pat Sajak doesn't like to talk about his personal life. Kelly gushes too much with Mark. What about a female personality? I don't think married couples work well except occasionally. You need a contrast. I actually recently enjoy Nick La S. Hope they try several before they abruptly replace such a great guy. Also, why does ABC never promote their soaps with guys from the soaps?

besty

The only reason I watch the show is because of Regis. He is the best and I am sad that he is retiring. I am not a fan of Kelly who at times is not nice to Regis. I wish the best to Regis and thank him for all the wonderful/fun years on TV and I have certainly enjoyed watching Regis every morning for many, many years!!! Will miss him!!!

My two cents ;)

Awe come on Regis is going to be happy imagine him frolicking on the beach with his gay lover Larry King and their cabana boy Donald Trump like a pair of old hermit crabs. Regis you are annoying

Grump

Good for you Regis and make sure you take Kelly with you, she is annoying and please, please don't let her stay on especially when she tries to get her husband Mark on, Sheesh.. what a horrible duo they are!!

susan

It is about time

MIDNIGHT TOKER

if he retires he will be dead within a month..