Regis Philbin -- I'm Retiring from the Talk Show

1/18/2011 11:14 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin says he's finally ready to give up his talk show gig ... after 28 years on the morning shift.

0910_media_removed_Spencer_Pratt
79-year-old Philbin made the announcement this morning on "Live with Regis and Kelly."

Regis said he'll tape his last show towards the end of the summer -- but he didn't give a specific date.

During his announcement, Regis joked, "There is a time that everything must come to an end for certain people on camera, especially certain old people."

0118_regis_through_the_years_footer

Belinda

I have watch in pain on and off for way too long now....I'm sure he is a nice, yet very self centered old man. But his retirement is way over due. He tells only stories about himself (which he forgets)He barley is aware of the guests and what they are promoting. Doesnt even try to listen or engage in segements..and if not for Kelly leading him on and through the basic info he needs to know I can't imagine how much more slow and tired and pulled along the show would feel.

SteveCee

Sorry to see him go, but it will be nice to have someone younger and more up with the times filling his seat.

I hear Larry King might be available.

bpronovost

A lifetime of class entertainment.Good Luck to Regis

Michele

Regis you will be missed by many! You have always been a true class act and I really can't picture the show without you! May God bless you with happiness and good health as you enter this next phase of your life and know that your faithful fans will miss hearing your voice each morning! LOOOOOOOOOOVE YOU!

Ajnos

Awwwwww! You were the man Reg! You will truly be missed!

Celebrities Suck

live with Regis will never be the same with out the star of the show......boring!!!

Barbara

Agree with #s 4 & 6 ~ ~ ~ and whoever else has this opinion. Regis has a great on-air personality, but he's going "down-hill". Watched several episodes of several programs most recently and it really came thru that someone has to cover his butt on too many occasions. Right decision Regis, but we'll miss your sparkling personality. 01.18.11

Illinois person

It should be that awful Kelly. She is beyond annoying and won't watch because of her and her sillyness. May be best to simply end the show over all. What will Gellman do now?

Diandra

Good riddance. I couldn't stand him since he was the co-host on the Joey Bishop show. Retire already and let someone else have a chance. He is his own biggest fan!

big craig

Regis your a class act you will be missed but kelly needs to go to

kenny sivills

all u haters should b ashamed,who hasn't tried to mimic regis,who would deny knowing him,who would'nt want to meet him!! yes he his past his prime,yes he forgets,not electronic or web savvy.He is an Icon and his retirement is an iconinc time people will look back on.And KELLY, she is beyond belief!!Regis and Kelly "you can't please them all, but you can sure please all the rest"

Jo

What an emotional time. Tho, I DON'T link Reeg in w/ the likes of Jordon or Favre...I'm still waiting to get real upset. I remember all going into a tiz when O announced her 'leaving' and that was a what, a 2 year warning? The funny thing is, he's off sooo much now, just to formalize it sounds scary & sad. I think the show should go off if he's not on. Kell's got enuff going on.
We will miss you Reeg! God Bless and enjoy life! I guess the up side is Joy won't be Co-hosting anymore, yeah!!

Linda

It has been a Magnificant run. You are one of the best.....and always will be...................You did an outstanding job longer then most
could have. You will be remembered as GREAT Entertainer.
Absolutely. Love you. Love your kind humor.

Ashley

I am sorry to see him go, I really do love the man. Kelly is quick and if she gets a good sidekick, not Jeff P, it mau work. Definitely not Jeff.

Meghan

Regis IS the show. You can just take so much of Kelly "look at me, as she walks the cat walk" Take care Regis, live a happy, healthy life with the family. PS. Good time to replace the persian cat.