Ricky Gervais -- I Will NOT Host the 'Globes' Again

1/18/2011 3:25 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ricky Gervais doesn't care if he's ever asked back to host the Golden Globes"" ... because he's "not gonna do it again anyway."

011810_ricky_gervais_video_inf

A smiling Gervais was weathering the storm in New York this morning -- following his super-controversial statements at the awards show -- when Ricky told us, "I think twice is enough."

After the photog mentioned that Ricky's fellow comics seem to be standing by the performance -- Gervais replied, "Well, it's nice to be loved by your peers ... they stick by you."

cathy

I don't think he was funny...i'm not a big fan of awards show...put it on because there was nothing else on i wanted to watch...but i do think he was way over the top and tasteless/tacky/nasty and cruel...it's an awards show not a roast..i even think he was over the top for even a roast...turned it off after an hour...just my opinion...slam me if you want...don't care:)

Cooper

Maybe Ricky should have co-hosted with Elmo...
Funny clip on You Tube...

4somecommonsense

LOL... "I'm tired every show has to have a gay in it. "

#13 and #15 Where's the next Tea party rally? Come on shoved down your throat? You do realize you have to pay to go watch a movie right? be it, Netflix, on demand, in a theater, etc., etc., that's not "shoved down your throat". Movies are just stories, writers and producers tend to want to tell stories that the public actually WANT to see so they can, you know make a few bucks in the process...

Welcome to the bottom 15% of the country in terms of intellect and culture, welcome, we'll try to keep "the gays" out for ya...

proterozoic

Ricky lit it up. It's so rare to have anything unexpected, interesting or otherwise un-sanitized happen at an awards show. I've never given a hoot about the Golden Globes, but this got me to tune in.

123

I thought he was hilarious. I laughed out loud several times!

4somecommonsense

BTW I only youtubed the highlights, most of his intro's and his Mono...thought he was hilarious, I could care less about the awards themselves...but Gervais was hilarious...not sure what the controversy is here.

Debbie

The majority is not gay so every show should not be expected to have a gay in it. The whole show was about if it was a show about or with gays they won an award. Even Ricky Gervais threw in about Tom Cruise and John Travolta which is just a rumor so it shouldn't have been mentioned. I seriously doubt they are but at least they have the decency to keep it private if they are. If gays have a problem with male/female sex scenes on TV or movies because the majority are male/female having sex the gays have got a problem and the gays are the minority. Also gays wouldn't be here if a male/female didn't have sex. Showing this continuously on TV says it's ok to our youth to be gay and it's not. I'm 50 and now I'm be hit on by gay women I don't want to go to a neighborhood party with my husband and he leaves my side for a short period of time to be hit on by women or women wanting to dance with me rubbing their bodies against me. Hearing a male/male saying they are married and a female/female saying they are married makes me laugh more than Ricky Gervais and they will never be married in my eyes. If they want to have same sex that's up to them I just don't want to know about it or see it and that goes for kissing.

bree

As an educated, middle-class, Midwestern suburban consumer, I go to movies to be entertained. I buy media magazines to find out what celebrities are wearing and whom they're dating, and I watch award shows for the same reason. I consider myself a seeker of enlightenment and truth- but I do not seek either from Hollywood. While the performers may actually be creating "art", and are entitled to receive recognition for their work, I never confuse myself that they are anything but performers. I thought the celebrity audience's response to Ricky Gervais' hosting on the Globes was childish, petty and most importantly, boring. It's no small wonder that the film industry is suffering. Hollywood celebrities are taking Themselves, and their Work, so seriously that they can't even be moved to laugh at some of the more obvious truths of their peers and profession. As someone who is doing Serious work with Actual Consequences in the Real World, I turn to Hollywood for entertainment and good old-fashioned escapeism, which Ricky Gervais delivered on Sunday. I know there will be consequences because he had the temerity to bite the hand that employed him, and from here on out awards shows will be hosted by blandly inoffensive celebrities spouting inane dribble that's been carefully scripted to kowtrow to the celebrities, but I will not be watching them any longer. I'll always fondly remember this year's Golden Globes, and television's brief foray into entertainment that was sharp, edgy, and real. And I will miss it.

Fidel's niece

Ricky, you were crude and rude,
NOT funny,
just insulting!

Ricky, you are an AZZHOLE!
(Haha, LOL!)

Your career will be over soon,
here in USA!

rico

good ridence. HE WAS NOT FUNNY AND VERY ANNOYING, I DONT EVEN LIKE IS STAND UP COMEDY.HE MAKES MY SKIN CRAWL

Larrybob

@Debbie #13: People watch movies and television about people who are different from them because even though the specifics of the human experience are different, there are aspects of commonality. And while one person cannot experience all different ways of being human, through well-made media you can gain insight into the lives of people in other walks of life.

4somecommonsense

And if you refer to Hollywood as Hollywierd, you have issues, do you also call the main stream media, the "lame-stream media"? Yuuukgh! And if you didn't know who Ricky Gervais was before this, then why were you even watching? I mean he created the Office, has a billion different projects, in the UKL and US...how could you not have heard of him? Unless you simply don't watch TV or movies, or at least not one's that are in the mainstream, and as such why were you watching? I think Perhaps some of you should have been watching the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 1st Annual Wholesome Movie and TV Awards...you get a Golden Jesus statue when you win, and the complete Growing Pains TV Series on DVD...it's a bit of a long winded title but I think it'll be a hit!

Rachie

Love you Ricky!! Next year they can ask Karl Pilkington to host it, THEN those snobs will have something to wank about!!

Elaine

Rick was funny and right on with some of his remarks. People are all becoming too politically correct and sensitive and it sucks. What happened to freedom of speech??? Grow up and stop all the insanity with this crap.

4somecommonsense

Debbie, wow...your comment(56) is mindblowing, first of all how absurd that you think women are hitting on you whereever you go? WTF are you talking about, I mean that's such a silly critique of gay people that they just hit on anyone that has the same sexual organs they do...let me give you a little advice...I if I were a gay woman, which Im actually a straight man, but if i were i would know IMMEDIATELY that you were an ignorant, homophobic hillbilly, not really my type, and I think id figure out pretty quick that you were straight, you know the wedding ring, the husband, etc., do you think all gay people seek relationships with married people? How ignorant are you? Now I know I'm on TMZ so I'm not that surprised but I do get discouraged sometimes when i read internet comments these days but then i realize that people such as yourself are in the minority, and you probably don't run anything or employ anyone so that's good, but you may procreate(bad) but oh well.