The Travoltas -- Puppy Love in the Wake of Tragedy

1/19/2011 4:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

John Travolta and Kelly Preston have two furry and freakin' adorable new family members -- a pair of puppies they got a few months after the family tragically lost two other dogs in a freak accident.

Travolta Dogs

Kelly and daughter Ella Blue picked up male and female Goldendoodles -- Audi and Charlie -- in September of last year.

We're told the Travoltas spent an extra $2,200 to send the litter mates to four weeks of boot camp -- where they learned basic commands ... and the most awesome ability to ring a bell when they need to go potty.

Puppies rule!

0112_canine_kiss_puppy_love_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Amy

For all of those posters who think it is a sin to buy a dog from a breeder when there are so many dogs in shelters needing a home - Do you have children? Biological children? Then shame on you for adding children to the world when there are so many children in orphanages that need homes!

DogLover

I wanted to point out to anyone who is still listening and has negative things to say about the breeder, the breeder did not "ok" this photo, their kennel, or any mention of themselves to be posted by TMZ. The BREEDER requested TMZ remove the link and information about their kennel, not someone from TMZ doing it of their own accord. They (TMZ) was actually in disbelief that she wanted the link removed figuring it was free publicity. This breeder does not operate that way in any way, shape or form. If she did, then these photos would have been on TMZ back in September when they were taken along with the other photos that the breeder and trainer were allowed to take of the family.
If we really want to get into something about 2 dogs being adopted/purchased at the same time, what about Oprah buying 3 Golden Retrievers at the same time? Also, lets not forget that although adopting pets from the shelter is a great idea, how many of you with a newborn, would open your home to a new dog adopted from a shelter? Shelter dogs are for the most part, awesome dogs, but there is the chance of not knowing their past history that many are not willing to chance around small children. Even just inadequate socalization at just weeks old can impact the dogs ability to socalize and interact with people. Perhaps the choice to buy vs adopt came from a want to know that their pups have had the best, most socialized start possible.

Paula Gordon

Beautiful pups for a beautiful family...Goldendoodles are the BEST!!! I have 2 that have been trained to be my assistance dogs to help me due to MS!!! Dont know what I would do without them! :o)

love and compassion

I can't believe some of what I am hearing. These people have had tragedies in their lives and so they are supposed to wallow in it? They aren't allowed to create any additional happiness without being ridiculed? They are human beings just like all of us. You haven't been in their home and seen their hurt and tears. What do you know of it? Losing a child is awful. Does that mean you can never love another? Maybe creating happiness is their way of coping. Same with the new dogs. Those puppies are gorgeous and not everyone want to adopt. There is nothing wrong with want a new, well-bred puppy rather than someone else's backyard bred, sickly or ill-mannered, dumped off pet from the shelter. Not everyone has the special ability to put up with that. One could argue that adopting pets from the shelter just futher supports of creating of more puppymill dogs. They always have a place to dump them and their is always someone willing to take up the slack. To each his own. Lay off this poor family and let them have some peace and happiness despite their pain.

Rachel

Someone needs to educate the curly haired twit on the show about why disagreeing with buying dogs is ignorant. That whole "can't eat meat, can't buy dogs, shut up" comment completely turned me off and I may not watch the show anymore. She should listen to Harvey - buying dogs causes huge problems including puppy mills, backyard breeders, and overcrowded shelters.

LAgossipwhore

I watched the TMZ episode where you filmed the Travolta's leaving Mr. Chow and discussed their two new puppies. I was impressed when Harvey made a comment about adopting instead - but then disgusted and pissed off when by the trailer-trasher, trucker hat dude's comment about being the first to kick a dog. Makes my stomach turn just thinking about it. You should be ashamed of yourselves airing that. DISGUSTING!!!

Linny

Congratulatiuons to the Travolta family! They are gorgeous pups, from an outstanding breeder, and I hope they will have many happy years together.

For those wishing to know more about this wonderful hybrid, go to www.Goldendoodles.com

Janie K.

I too would have liked to see the Travolta's rescue shelter dogs or atleast go to a breed rescue group -- and they are available for every breed. Make a difference and rescue.

Maintaining Your Dog's Good Health & Happiness

SDM

Wow, what a lot of hateful, angry comments.

Yes, shelter dogs can be wonderful. Many shelter animals make outstanding family pets and adoption/fostering is a wonderful thing to do. Shelter pets can, however, also have serious issues that make them suitable for only certaint types of homes due to socialization problems, abuse, or health. Fortunately there are devoted individuals (though too few) with the time, desire, and resources/skills to take on this challenge. If you are not interested in doing this kind of work, or adopting this kind of dog, that does not make you a terrible person.

Yes, if a person buys a dog from a breeder, that creates a market for purebred or "designer mutt" type dogs. But here where I live, at least, shelters are full of unwanted dogs NOT because someone breeds and sells purebreds or hybrids, but because my state does not have mandatory spay/neuter laws and hordes of people irresponsibly neglect to spay/neuter their animals, leading to hundreds of thousands of sickly, inbred, unwanted puppies and kittens. I know because I support local dog foster groups and have rehomed countless feral/stray cats myself. The people to blame for dogs in shelters are the irresponsible owners who thoughtlessly acquired an animal without giving consideration to the lifetime commitment of training, medical care, and responsibility having a pet entails and who don't bother to spay/neuter or quickly lose interest in their pet because it is WORK to create a well-trained, well-socialized animal. Or they move, lose a job, or owning a pet otherwise becomes "inconvenient" so they dump them on the side of the road, usually in my neighborhood. At least if someone has researched and sought out a certain kind of dog, they are not making an impulsive decision and hopefully have thought through all the responsibility they are taking on. Adopters of shelter animals hopefully do this too--regardless of how the dog is acquired, it is irresponsible owners who are the real problem.

There is nothing wrong with responsible breeding of purebred animals, or any animals, for that matter, if people want them and all involved parties are responsible and ensure the animal has a good life. Many breeds are bred for specific purposes or simply for the history/heritage/enjoyment of the breed based on its characteristics, and people who desire a specific breed should not be demondized for wanting one. It shouldn't be a black/white argument of "adopted mixed breeds good/purebred breeder dogs bad" because that is a false dichotomy, a logical fallacy. Everything doesn't have to be either/or.

If you have a shelter dog, that is wonderful. If you have a purebred dog, that is wonderful too. If you decided you wanted to spend $2000 on a "designer mutt," that is nobody else's damned business. Perhaps people need to take a step back, live their lives in a way that brings a sense of peace and morality to themselves, and leave everyone else alone. Since when does being angry and shouting your opinion at others ever persuade them? If you want to bring others to your way of thinking, the old sayig is "You draw more flies with honey than vinegar."

I bought a dog from this same breeder, and I can assure you that they care about their dogs. Yes, they have a lot of breeding stock, but the animals live in their "forever homes" and only come to the very well-appointed facility when they are ready to give birth. They are bred a limited number of times, then retired and spend their lives with their families. I know this breeder to be warm, friendly, and to go above and beyond to make sure her families are happy and her dogs are healthy and well cared for well beyond the sale. Yes, she makes a good living at it. So what? If she makes money breeding adorable, well-tempered, healthy puppies and selling them to families willing to pay for that, why should that be vilified? People sell all kinds of things that are expensive and for which there are cheaper alternatives. Again, buy what you want and can afford, and don't become angry and judgmental at others for choosing differently from you. Additionally, this breeder will take back a puppy or adult dog at any time in that dog's life and make sure it gets a good home. If you haven't visited with or spoken with this breeder personally, you really have no right to judge her or her business or to lump her in with bad breeders, who certainly exist. She is one of the best.

I bought a dog from Moss Creek because I wanted a Goldendoodle I could raise from a puppy, and through that community of "Doodle" lovers (many of whom own a mix of rescued and purchased dogs) learned about and became involved in therapy animal work. I've also spent a lot of time training her, often with the help of a paid trainer, which was an additional expense that some might be inclined to judge. But guess what? I have learned a lot and have a beautiful, adorable therapy dog who brings a smile to a lot of peoples' faces. I have no doubt I could have achieved this with a shelter pet, and rescue dogs' stories can make them very effective with certain populations, but that's not what I wanted to do. It was a choice my family made based on our desires and goals and is truly no one else's business. I'm sure no one enjoying a visit from a therapy dog will ever refuse to see her because I bought her from a breeder rather than rescuing her. And if they asked, and then decided to start shouting at me or condemning me for my choice, I can assure you the problem in that picture would be the person who would behave that way, not me and my breeder-bought dog.

As far as the Travolta family, I don't know them, and neither does anyone here. They have the mixed blessing of being wealthy celebrities who enjoy the money and privilege that come with that, but who also have to have their every personal tragedy or decision evaluated and judged by an anonymous, opinionated, apparently mean-spirited and judgmental public. They may be wonderful people, or they may be awful, but chances are they are like the rest of us, just flawed human beings trying to do the best they can with what life throws at them. Many of you have adopted shelter animals and wouldn't dream of purchasing an expensive puppy, but guess what--that doesn't make you a superior human being. Many of you have responded differently to your grief, if you have lost a child or pet--but guess what--grief is individual and there is no "right" way to do it. Would any of you say any of these things to their faces? And if so, what do you think that would accomplish? If your every purchase, reaction, and choice were put up to public debate, would you wish for a little more leniency than so many of the comments on this post reflect? Would you prefer that people who don't know the entire situation refrain from spouting off uninformed opinions for which they don't really have to answer?

Make the choices that reflect your values, and offer others the same kind of compassion and understanding you would wish for yourself. Whatever causes you support, continue to support them and share them with others, but do so without becoming ugly and self-righteous. To judge others by a few photos or news blurbs is grossly unfair and distorted, and makes for an uglier world. If you truly want to make the world a better place, it doesn't start with animal rescue, it starts with showing kindness and withholding judgment from other human beings.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6