'American Idol' Judges

Who'd You Rather?

1/20/2011 4:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Last night's "American Idol" premiere made us wonder if Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell were missed or did Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler up the show's game?

0120_idol_paula_lopez0120_idol_simon_tyler

Betsy

Bjorn, lighten up. I think that tv is a much happier place with all the great musical shows on the air, such as Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, etc. Our country is going thru tough times. It's all we hear about and read about. Having the worlds best singing contest on once a year gives us a little break from the doom and gloom. And that's a good thing!

Betsy

John, I'm with you! I think this is a very credible group now. I was a big Simon fan but his nasty and cruel comments became old. He seemed bored with the show and the contestants. I think too many fans listened to whatever Simon wanted, rather then who they really liked.
Tyler is a hoot. He seems very knowledgeable. He's not nasty, not overly sweet. He says it like it is. Ja-lo seems good. She seems to know what she's talking about and is a lot of fun.
So to sum it up, my vote is for Tyler and j lo!

Betsy

So to sum it up, my vote is for Tyler and j lo!

Mad at Hollywood

I like the new judges. I think the contestants are even better this time around. They have a lot of talent. I can't wait for it to start with the 24

Jeff

It is hard to compare. I loved simon. I love his brutal, blunt honesty and Randy really seems to have taken over the bad guy role now with his "whoa dog, stop right there" antics. It's a whole new side to him. Paula and Jennifer are great talents but as judges they are too "vested" and emotional. I'd like to see simon come back and it be simon, steven and randy. Nothing against either of the girls - they are both lovely but I think better true judging of talent is coming from the men. Now I'm going to go put on my flame retardent suit...

angel

my life sucks.....wish i had a judging gig like them.

Meggy

The judges are the best ever on Idol. I did miss Paul Abdul
But Jennifer is savvy, beautiful, cut to the chase and a spiritually uplifting judge. The three have gotten it "right" more than in any other seaon.
Tyler is a sweet guy, a father figure to the talents, and Randy is always great. This is a winning year all around!

bb

jennifer lopez has a beautiful smile. Randy is doing a great job much better than last year and steven tyler likes short skirts. enough said.

lyn

yeah.. the world is on crisis and this is the damn topic.. anyway id like to comment on that.. jlo is soo hot, but sometimes shes just too much of her self like my son would love u, i sang that before, etc. etc. i like paula shes nice but sometimes too nice making the show unrealistic.. judging skills: paula maybe 1st 3 seasons,, jlo-need more improvements.. ur the judge not the contestants

Glenis Richards

I love Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler, but I am so sick of Randy. Who does he think he is. He has been the most negative judge ever. Please bring back SIMON!

angela saenz

Are Jennifer and Steven on crack??? Those performances were the worst? Randy seems to be the only sober one. I guess coming froma person who can not sing a note and a recovering addict I can see why they have no listening skills..This new show is a joke!! Where's simon?

Kyle

I liked Simon he actually told the truth even if it was mean.

C Richards

Best year ever so far.... J Lo is so pretty inside & out. Ty is very positive to the contestants. Randy is more positive than other years. When the contestants are singing under all of the pressure, the judges show positive body language to encourage each contestant. And the talent is great! You have to give the judges credit for who they picked. Great choices!

John Salas

Simon Cowell told it like it really was! The American Idol judges need to be more professional and give the contestants real and honest critiques!
Jennifer Lopez....One Paula Abdul was enough, she loved everyone, come on J Lo... you are there to judge talent and not to be a mother hen! Spare us those tears!
Randy Jockson after ten years I would have thought you would have learned something from Simon Cowell. Come on Randy, start judging on talent and quit milking your American Idol gig!
Steve Tyler, you as an aging "Rocker" should know something about music! So come up to the professional level that is required to be a judge. Quit salivating over the young girls and start telling it like it really is! I couldn't believe how all three judges raved on about how great Paul was. Good grief, he has such a thin, weak voice and it is almost at the level of being irritating at times! He also has a lot of pitch problems. I am counting the days when Simon Cowell's, X - FACTOR will be aired. That man tells it like it really is!

Dimples

I really liked Simon and Paula as judges but its ok to give Jlo and Steven a chance to shine. Randy is good. I am a big fan of american idol and will continue to watch it. Keep it up guys.