Regis Philbin

Quit Over Pay Cut

1/22/2011 11:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin quit his show after execs told his agent they would cut his salary when his current contract expired ... sources tell TMZ.

0121_regis_philbin_TMZ_ex
Sources connected with the show tell TMZ ... Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, was talking with execs from the ABC station group about a new contract for Regis when his current deal expired.  We're told the honchos made it clear ... Regis would be getting a pay cut, partly because the show is not performing as well as in the past ... and partly because he takes a lot of time off.

Sources say Reeg is currently pulling in between $18 and $20 million a year.

Regis, we're told, was angry at the offer and that was the trigger for his announcement this week that he's leaving the show.

TMZ first reported ... Regis told Kelly Ripa about his decision 15 minutes before they went on the air.  Initially we were told she was stunned but not angry.  Now we've learned she was furious -- partly because, as one source says, "She felt it showed a total lack of respect for her."

We're told the entire production team is angry at Regis because they feel he hurt the show by blindsiding everyone.

As for Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, Reeg fired him.  We're told Regis feels Griffin did not negotiate the upcoming deal effectively.

Karren

I had learned/heard that he retired due to his age (will be 80 In August). Also, wife...Joy (who just turned 70 last year) has been wanting him to retire for the past couple of years. She wants to go on trips & do things & she said that she would just get some of her girl friends & take trips and go on outings, etc. Besides that, Reege himself said he didn't want to be like **** Clark who had a stroke while still working , etc. He wanted to retire with some degree of his health left! The network told him he could work part time..two or three days a week; and offered him a year-to-year contract in lieu of a 3-yr contract commitment. But Reege wanted to retire.

CelebrityGossipGirl

GOOD!!! Another closet republican goimg by the wayside. I LOVE IT!!! I hope they get someone INTERESTING like, I don't know, Bill Clinton. Now there's a MAN for you!!!

Randomness

Seems to me that some "celebrities" fall for their own hype. Regis is an old many, he can't take the money with him to the grave. I'm sure he would have managed to survive on whatever they offered him. I totally could understand why Kelly would be angry with him. I thought Regis was better than that...oh well.

Googie

WOW!

sassy

That show is too annoying to watch anyways. Won't bother me if they replace them with talking chimps. Same result, for less money.

Superman

Poor spoiled babies!!

dd

Stupid gossip, of course he wants to retire he's going to be 80 do u have to work forever now?

Madtucky

Reeg adds nothing to life in general. Who does he think he is? I hear he is a smart azz anyway. Are you reading this, Reeg? NO ONE CARES.

HMichaelH

There's no fool like an old fool! It's time for him to hang it up. He brings nothing new to any broadcast, and is predictable as the show is long. It's much more pleasant to watch Kelly alone. She's a delight, and I hope she will continue in control of the program.

Allison

Poor Multi-millionaire had to give up some cash like the rest of us. I hope Kelly replaces him with someone very cute !! Like Ryan or Leo from AMC. LOL

Jean

He made 18 - 20 million a year??!!! Are you f-ing kidding me? That is one of the most ridiculous things I have EVER heard. There is something seriously wrong in this country when it comes to how much some people get paid.

gutsygirl

A yule log could replace Regis. He's always needed a bubbly sidekick to prop him up.

Note to ABC: DO NOT hire a female replacement. Look at Kathie Lee and Hoda!

John

What an effin grimey ass dude, as if to say the moneys not enough....Dude your a god damn millionaire, I will never even see a million dollars. EVER. and you wipe your ass with my paychecks, ****ing pathetic ass country with pathetic citizens who don't care about anything but their purse. Sometimes im ashamed to be an American.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

what everyone doesnt know is that he donates half of what he makes to many charities,,he always had....

FlamingoNut

Jesus, so the guy wants to leave the show. Big deal. Whether it's because of the money or he just wants to retire is nobody's business. Kelly's angry? Wah! The staff was blindsided? Wah! Be happy for the guy and welcome in some new blood.