Regis Philbin

Quit Over Pay Cut

1/22/2011 11:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin quit his show after execs told his agent they would cut his salary when his current contract expired ... sources tell TMZ.

0121_regis_philbin_TMZ_ex
Sources connected with the show tell TMZ ... Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, was talking with execs from the ABC station group about a new contract for Regis when his current deal expired.  We're told the honchos made it clear ... Regis would be getting a pay cut, partly because the show is not performing as well as in the past ... and partly because he takes a lot of time off.

Sources say Reeg is currently pulling in between $18 and $20 million a year.

Regis, we're told, was angry at the offer and that was the trigger for his announcement this week that he's leaving the show.

TMZ first reported ... Regis told Kelly Ripa about his decision 15 minutes before they went on the air.  Initially we were told she was stunned but not angry.  Now we've learned she was furious -- partly because, as one source says, "She felt it showed a total lack of respect for her."

We're told the entire production team is angry at Regis because they feel he hurt the show by blindsiding everyone.

As for Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, Reeg fired him.  We're told Regis feels Griffin did not negotiate the upcoming deal effectively.

Stephen H.

If this is the true story, like many others, I have lost respect for Regis. Most of us are suffering with low paying jobs and he can't get by with a minor pay cut? Poor Baby!!! Good Bye Regis!! Don't let the door hit you, where the Good Lord split ya!!

PN

I think that Kelly Ripa was shocked and blindsided at Regis Philbin's announcement on live TV that he was leaving as well as the producers on the set of the show. They knew that Regis has kept the show going for years and it's going to be hard to find a very good co-host for Kelly. You can hear the sadness in Kelly voice as she was teary. I'm sure that studio audience was shocked too with the crescendos of groans from them. Would have been different if the show was taped than a live setting with the cameras rolling.

kate

Clearly they just wanted him gone and set up a situation where in order to preserve his dignity (after decades of serving up ratings hits for ABC) he had to walk.

denisita

Why is TMZ reporting the same story again...? OLD NEWS! Hello!! No updates with it either. So lame!! Slow news day I guess, either way, it's pathetic journalism. Besides all that... it's time for Regis to retire. He is not interesting anymore. He is BORING. I hope Jerry O'Connell gets the job. He is very funny and would be a great, new, young and FUN!! co-host for Kelly Ripa.

DP

GREED GREED GREED----who cares, show sucked anyways

James

lmao @ all the bitter people. "You've lost my respect". like he cares.

Ralph Pierro

I was shocked, I thought Regis was working for free, just to feed his overblown ego. What a bore. Now I don't have to change e channel when I hear show coming on.

Love Heffner

Regis never said he was retiring he said he was leaving the show. How many of you would take a 30-35% pay cut? He made that show what it is and I feel it was Kelly that cost the ratings to go down. The girl can't talk and everything is about her. Her husband is worse with his mousey voice. I don't watch the show if Regis is not on. Yes he does take off on Fridays they should pre-record the show for Friday like they do on other shows. He has 25yrs with the show and has vacation time. He should take it wouldn't you? Time is money. When he leaves I will no longer watch the show. Regis is one of the most graciest, respected man on TV. I will miss him. I wish him the best of luck and hope to see him on another show maybe another network.

reliantrobin

What a useless, talentless, egomaniacal douchebag. Windbag. Gasbag. He talks only to hear himself and has a brain roughly the size of an amoeba. Kelly Ripa might be fluffy, but at least she makes an effort to learn about the people she's interviewing. If you substituted a post-stroke **** Clark in Regis's stead, you'd actually get someone with more of a working brain.

If they're looking for a substitute the housewives might appreciate, Kelly's husband Mark Consuelos would be a good choice. Ryan Seacreast might skew a bit too young; his target audience would be at school during the daytime and wouldn't be able to watch a TV show airing before about 3:30 in the afternoon. But at least he'd be better than Anderson Cooper. Hell, a mummified corpse would be better than Anderson Cooper. I don't typically enjoy the show anyway and this is coming from past indirect encounters with the show, but it was definitely made a lot more painful whenever I had to face that personality-free dip****.

S

It absolutely amazes me how much money, celebrities in our country pull down. I am sure Regis is a decent enough guy, but $18-20M a year, you have got to be F ing kidding me, Regis? Come on. How about say $110K per year. No wonder celebrities are so out of touch with the rest of us.

Don Tyson

GEGIS: Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Will we miss you??? NO!!!

Shirley

Are you sure that you can live with the money you already have, if so, then it didn't matter if you had a pay cut or not.
How would you like to live on a pensioners pay? I'm under the proverty line but I'm not screeming for more. I know I won't get it if I did or not. Learn to live within your means instead of foolishly.

terry

wow, what a pig, he could support a small country!

Scott Lenheiser

If true--I could see Regis letting his ego far outrun his brain cells in this matter. Knowing that Ellen DeGeneres makes about $32 million a year, maybe I would be upset myself at a pay cut. If the network would really like to save money, I am willing to give up my law practice to do the show for $10 million a year and I could guarantee that I would be a far more outrageous personality than Regis could conjure up on his best day. Bah! Humbug!--to these overpaid "celebrities" who believe themselves to be so special. Bull-Loney to Regis Philbin, the same joker who just had to broadcast from his heart bypass operation in the hospital. If he had died on camera, he probably would have died with a huge ego-boosting grin on his face.

Ross Ewage

no matter what the salary is, it's gotta be a grind for a 79 year old man to be getting up at the crack of dawn 5 days a week plus the game shows he does and the commercials for which he is a spokesman. with only a few more years left to live a normally active healthy lifestyle, why not get out now, do a few side jobs, and enjoy life? Regis has given us 50 years of entertainment (counting the Joey Bishop days) and for that I thank him and wish him all the best.