Regis Philbin

Quit Over Pay Cut

1/22/2011 11:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin quit his show after execs told his agent they would cut his salary when his current contract expired ... sources tell TMZ.

0121_regis_philbin_TMZ_ex
Sources connected with the show tell TMZ ... Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, was talking with execs from the ABC station group about a new contract for Regis when his current deal expired.  We're told the honchos made it clear ... Regis would be getting a pay cut, partly because the show is not performing as well as in the past ... and partly because he takes a lot of time off.

Sources say Reeg is currently pulling in between $18 and $20 million a year.

Regis, we're told, was angry at the offer and that was the trigger for his announcement this week that he's leaving the show.

TMZ first reported ... Regis told Kelly Ripa about his decision 15 minutes before they went on the air.  Initially we were told she was stunned but not angry.  Now we've learned she was furious -- partly because, as one source says, "She felt it showed a total lack of respect for her."

We're told the entire production team is angry at Regis because they feel he hurt the show by blindsiding everyone.

As for Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, Reeg fired him.  We're told Regis feels Griffin did not negotiate the upcoming deal effectively.

d Williams

So Regis is getting about $80-85,000 a day, not bad if hes taking a lot of time off put him on a per deim. If he doesn't like it I am sure there is a line of people who will work for $20,000 a day.

TMZPaul

Why all the hating on ol' Regis? They asked him to take a pay cut. He decided he'd rather stay home. He announced his retirement on the air as soon as he decided. What else do you want from him? Does the whole staff have to gear up for the great loss? Maybe management shouldn't have asked him to work for less. He gave them as much time as possible, given the negotiation.

joseph doakes

It was the principle of the thing, most likely. He has more money than he will ever spend. He is looking for that adulation which isn't there any more. His audience is sixty-something years old. If he hung out his co-workers to dry, and **** canned his agent, well, that reflects badly on him. Let's face it, he is an old douche bag.

g.eichberg

What an ugly, disgusting little man. Get off my TV. You won't be missed. I hear Couric is also being "offered" a pay cut. Maybe she will do the same and do us all a favor. What a bunch of overpaid no talent phonies.

Kelly

Quit over a pay cut?!? Dayam! Why didn't those stoopid execs think of that before!?!?! It would have saved viewers years of pain. LOL

K

The fact that whatever percentage was cut, he would still be making multiple millions of dollars and not be happy.

I think that is what pisses a lot of us off. Regis didn't make Regis. We did. We tuned to him when he was on.

The ones watching t.v. aren't the rich (hell, if i was, I'd be doing more awesome things than baking in front of the tube) but the middle and lower class.

We hear millions and we're thinking " ...I could just use one of those mils, and my life would be set."

K

oh yea. I'm boycotting everything with this d bags mug or name attached to it. The f does he needs to do with those millions? Buy more gold flecked cham pag ne?

maura

If this is true BRAVO ! Regis might be old but he is no fool.I say good for him to leave the show. I will only watch if Regis is there.Kelly and Mark are awful I think the show will only go downhill without the Reg. MC

Laura

Who knows if any of this is true? If it is, let's face it, Kelly is happy. She will be chief honcho. I think she's funny but she's not as creative when she works with Mark. She's held back by him. And really, Mark, nice guy but not a talent for that morning show. He's just a side-kick. I really like Regis, have watched him for years. I will miss him terribly. If he felt the network was trying to screw him well, he may have acted impulsively but not to hurt Kelly or the production staff. Pleeezzzzzzzzze, he's the reason they've all had a job this long anyway. Now talking replacement, you want class & fun, hire Marty Short. I thought the radio guy yesterday Billy Bones was adorable. Friendly, funny and had good timing, never stumbled on a word. You want a fresh face, go for the Bone Man!!! I'm sure Regis and Joy are in LA to see the kids and put the realtors on xanax. They will be fighting each other to get the Philbins as customers. Miss you already Regis!! xoxo Laura

Greg

Kelly and the staff are insulted? Regis is the ONLY REASON that anyone watches that show. He was treated like a host of a local tv affiliate morning show. That is unacceptable. Regis will go somewhere else and kick Live's 'A'

Kelly Ripa is a no talent.

Chalupa

I'll do it for $1M a year

Granted

I always knew that Regis was a prima donna.

commanda

Does he know there is no pay at all for much of the world's 7.5 billion and our country is at the top of the losers' list?

YoMamma

Larry King, Joan Rivers, the entire geriatric celebrity club have long overstayed their welcome. They're just too damn old! And they need to get over themselves as celebrities! These people are just too enamored with their own supposed importance. If any of them had an ounce of class, they would have packed it in 10 or 15 years ago, bought a ranch or penthouse and lived the good life of family and friends (real friends). Instead they have become like ghosts clinging to a life that is over, addicted to the fawning sycophants that blow hot air up their butts.

Regis, let's give a little more consideration to before we throw him in with Depends Crew. He's had a great run and has never seemed to take himself all that seriously, so consider this, Reg-haters:

What if this is just the sour grapes of the agent who got canned? Rather fits that he gets fired and this story comes out. Plus, if you were Regis'agent, don't you have some kind of responsibility to keep his business private even after being employed by him? I don't think I'd be hiring that guy to represent me after this.

Hey, maybe Reg is an ass. Wouldn't be the first prima donna. But at the same time, he's been in the business long enough to know that it isn't show friends, it's show business.

Give him the benefit of the doubt, people.

Mike

I was a fan of Regis & Kathie Lee, then Regis & Kelly in the past, but honestly I have to say that Regis does not appear to be as sharp as he once was, he is almost 80 years old and it's time to say goodbye, I think they need to re-think the show, a new style, format, something more interesting, it's the same old thing, and frankly a little boring.