Regis Philbin

Quit Over Pay Cut

1/22/2011 11:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin quit his show after execs told his agent they would cut his salary when his current contract expired ... sources tell TMZ.

0121_regis_philbin_TMZ_ex
Sources connected with the show tell TMZ ... Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, was talking with execs from the ABC station group about a new contract for Regis when his current deal expired.  We're told the honchos made it clear ... Regis would be getting a pay cut, partly because the show is not performing as well as in the past ... and partly because he takes a lot of time off.

Sources say Reeg is currently pulling in between $18 and $20 million a year.

Regis, we're told, was angry at the offer and that was the trigger for his announcement this week that he's leaving the show.

TMZ first reported ... Regis told Kelly Ripa about his decision 15 minutes before they went on the air.  Initially we were told she was stunned but not angry.  Now we've learned she was furious -- partly because, as one source says, "She felt it showed a total lack of respect for her."

We're told the entire production team is angry at Regis because they feel he hurt the show by blindsiding everyone.

As for Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, Reeg fired him.  We're told Regis feels Griffin did not negotiate the upcoming deal effectively.

Previous 15 Comments | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

joe page

n't stand her myself and other friends feel the same way. When Regis leaves I WILL NOT be watching any more!!!!!! Regis is so well loved, he will do well no matter where he goes and we will be waiting and WATCHING!!!!!!!!!

Jim Kelly

Take the pay cut, Reeg. You might have to slum it at about $12 million but, what the heck,Greed, like Gordon Gekko said, is not always good. Please Reeg, try not to live up to all my expectations.

Jim Kelly

The way I figure it, Reeg was pulling in about #110,000 per show for a bunch of silly chatter. It reminds me of the Gordon Gekko line in Wall Street: Greed is good. When your pay is cut to about $12 million, take it, Reeg. Don't be greedy. Try not to live up to all my expectations.

stefanie s

wow! What a bunch of jerks!! I mean everyone that said something negative. I LOVE Regis and Kelly. It may have not been a great way to go out but the man really has done a lot in the last 28 years more than most could dream of. I have a lot of respect for him. I LOVE YOU REEG!!!!xoxoxox

jane

Well, like someone said the dynamics have changed now that Regis is gone. Just saw the first Kelly show and I really like Kelly, but have a feeling she can't carry the show.
They do need to make it more interesting...maybe a younger co host?

Jack Weaver

I think Regis left because he got tired of having to pretend he like putting no talen's like Justin Bieber on the air. Regis was obviously fed up with the no talent guests he had to talk to. He was just as bored with the endless stream of no talent teen age garage bands and vapid boring TV "stars" I say congratulatins Regis, go have some fun. It must have taken a lot of courage to get up and face that stupid inane group of enterainters everyday

Angel

OMG! 18 to 20 million a year and he is upset? OK so you quit..now what? You are 79......Retire and enjoy life and family.....

Carsten

He got way to much money anyway.... - And mostly he was funny when he was guest at the Late Show....

Carsten

You still can afford to be funny, while you not working.... But you¨ll have to do it without the beautiful Ripa !!!!! -- PS.. You dont really need more money, your'e just got lazy... !!

John M

It goes to show that Regis is only worried about what's in his pockets than the people around him that loved him. He's not the class act I thought he was.

JM