Jack LaLanne Dead at 96

1/23/2011 11:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Fitness legend Jack LaLanne died of respiratory failure due to pneumonia Sunday afternoon at his home in California. He was 96.

Jack LaLanne Died
LaLanne hosted a popular workout show for several decades, opened a chain of gyms, and created a popular line of juicers.

His agent said he worked out and exercised every day of his life, even up until the end.

0124_remembering_jack_lalanne_footer

me

RIP

nh

Poor Elaine...

Anonymous

Saw Jack and his wife a few years back and they looked wonderful a testament to good nutrition and fitness. Jack was an inspiration to good living and will be missed.

mari

sad. i enjoy his infomercials - they're fun to watch.

NoBreederRat

#13. "It doesn't seem fair that pneumonia was what took him down. Why can't people stay home if they're sick and not spread stuff. People should get a ticket if they are out spreading some illness."

-----------

You raise an interesting point. I was wondering why so many celebrities seem to die from Pneumonia and exactly how it is spread. So Google> Mayo Clinic Pneumonia> Causes. Apparently there are many different ways to catch it and it can be viral or bacterial.

There is a vaccine for it. Maybe more celebs should consider getting it, mercury poisoning aside.

ubernoob

imho i dont care .. havign to watch him push a juicer was a low. you will not be missed

Christy

This makes me sad! But thank you Jack for teaching me the benefits of good health and juicing. RIP!

John

RIP Jack, you had an incredibly long and healthy life. 96-years, wow!

Joann

This is a shock. Even though he was 96 years old I was sure this man would live to see 100 years old plus a few more years and die of natural causes. His body was in such good condition at 96 I would have thought he could have easily fought off pneumonia.

I know his wife will miss him terribly. They had been together 51 years. My condolences to her and their family.

Rob

He will live on as the Fitness Icon of the world. To me he lives in my mind as my imaginary uncle encouraging me to keep striving for better fitness.

Dayvid

God I get SO SICK of seeing everyone say "RIP" on the net everytime someone dies. Just another American legend that everyone insists on doing everytime there is a death! Can't you people think up something new to say?

This country is so lame, I'm so sick of it! Just like when someone dies and every one says "you have my heartfelt condolences"-do they really? or "our prayers and thoughts go out to his family at this time of need"-wow do they really? I call it all bs flag! It seriously makes me want to puke!

Freddy

I always thought this guy was amazing. For him to be his age and still be the workout junkie that he was is down right astonishing. RIP Jack, I seriously doubt we'll see another like you in any capacity.

Tom

A real loss. he was the last great man that America will ever produce. millions and millions of people around the world are alive today, and happy and healthy and enthusiastic about life thanks only to him. his exercise programs were faultless and completely within the range of everyone. He blew out a valve in a push up contest with arnold swartzenegger which he won ahnald passed out. and his weakened heart caused his death. Let us honor this truly great man by dedicating ourselves to becoming as fit and healthy as he was so we can stay fit and enjoy our once only lives well into our 90s and even to our 100th year and help others to do the same.

Lisa R.

Sympathy to Jack LaLanne's family. I can remember watching him as a kid. Before all of the fitness crazies came to be and all the videos, Jack LaLanne knew the benefits of fitness and health and didn't make you feel horrible about yourself. He didn't yell at you or call you names to shame you into health. He was an icon in the fitness world and he will be remembered with fondness and admiration. I hope your red or blue(i hope blue), jumpsuit makes it to the Smithsonian where iconic and relevant things from our lives belong. RIP!!!!

J Paul

A life well done and well lived.