John Travolta -- Globes Were 'More Like a Roast'

1/23/2011 12:34 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

John Travolta -- who was the implied butt of a controversial joke from Ricky Gervais during the Golden Globes -- seemed to acknowledge the situation last night when he told our photog the event was "more like a roast" than an awards show.

0123_john_travolta_video_tmz
John was all smiles leaving an event at the Hollywood Palladium last night as dozens of fans asked for autographs and congratulated him on his new baby. But he was stone cold silent when we asked him if he had any words for Gervais.

Sometimes saying nothing truly says it all.

MrsBeasley

Lets just say for arguments sake that John Travolta IS gay. WHat or how could it possibly affect any of you who continue to say he is? If he is, so what. Its HIS life, not yours. I personally never thought of him as gay guy, or Tom Cruise either. I look at people and go by how they behave in general. He seems like a good man. If they are gay that is their business and no one elses. My heart goes out to John Travolta and his family for the loss of their son. How tragic and painful yet the main topic is always IS HE GAY? He strikes me as a very nice man and his sexuality shouldn't be an issue. Another point is if he is indeed then give the guy credit for not shoving it in our faces like some do. (Adam Lambert...gross) Damn, people, read a book. Visit a neighbor, change the oil in your car but quit fussing over this man. You need a hobby and you need to look at people for who they are and what they do. Sheesh......

Nasious Cordova

What's sad is that Travolta whuld rather be seen as a weak minded, glassy-eyed cult member with a head full of pudding instead of coming out of the closet or even better, taking the Kevin Spacey road and telling the public that he will not address questions/rumours about his sexuality. I have far more respect for Neil Patrick Harris and Kevin Spacey.

Mike

They should just stop doing that award show, it's always someone from another country that has no idea how we are all at the moment. Most of the material done is insulting and purely for shock value. Go back to where you came from with your nose up in the air.

Mike

Most people didn't know who the MC was and could not care less about him after the show, it's a fine how'd ya do. No wonder they kicked you out of the UK and you came here, you're a putz that gets his rocks off by insulting everyone. That poor kid killed himself because he was bullied by people like you Ricky, because he was different.

Tony

AW!!! Boo hoo! Rich little stars did not have their asses kissed AAAWWWWWW!!!!!! Strange how they can talk **** about politics, school etc etc that's ok. The old term dish it out but can't take it comes to mind.

Mike

If someone called me a homosexual in a negative fashion on national TV I'd probably want to bust his face open with an axe.

lil-r

What do you expect him to say, honestly? That's nobody's damn business.
The Golden Globe thing - who the hell cares. It wasn't offensive, and it wasn't funny - and I'm a Ricky Gervais fan - well at least most of his stuff. His stand-up is usually poor, and his stuff at awards shows is stupid in my opinion. I mean a joke like that just isn't worth telling in my opinion, its not funny, and it draws a bit of negative attention to someone who doesn't deserve it. If the rumours are actually true, it's nobody's DAMN business. And there's no irony or humour in it..suggesting somebody's gay is supposed to be a laugh riot? Are we all in 7th grade?

Mike

Posted at 2:39 PM on Jan 23, 2011 by Tony

You're fine with people using hate speech to boost thier self image so what do you care what some entertainer does? Your hiding behind a keyboard calling someone you don't inferior based on insults that are probably over your head.

bizess9023

Phreaky

Why do you care John? I'm sure you were in your nice, comfortable, cozy steam room with your "friends" playing a game of hide the weiner. Whatever happened at the Globes shouldn't matter to you.

bill

Hey idiots the joke was about Tom Cruise NOT Travolta

Sally

Congratulations to the Travolta family on their new baby. Insofar as Ricky, he is a great comedian, so all of the pampered stars should "get over it." The American public thought the humor was wonderful!! It is only the biased press, and celebrities who do not appreciate the humor!!! Now you know what we really appreciate - honest humor!!

Mike

Hey idiots the joke was about Tom Cruise NOT Travolta

Posted at 3:15 PM on Jan 23, 2011 by bill

Calling someone gay as an insult should not be tolerated in the United States, kids are being killed for it. The man's defense is that the people in the United States are thin skinned and need to learn how to accept him, I dissagree with his defense. Behavior that exhibits intolerance of race, sexual orientation and or relgious belief should not be accepted nor should it be excused by a civil society. Unbias hatred for another being based on their sexual orientation in a public forum is a crime and yields a well deserved punishment.
I can take a joke but I would not allow any man to insult another based on his own ignorance in my presence, it's a matter of integrity.
Thin skinned? When it's your neck they are tieing with a noose you'll thank me then. Insult a man that can't defend himself is a cowardly thing to do and begs justice.

Sloane

Ricky first said something about the movie I Love you Phillip Morris that was not nominated with 2 heterosexual actors (Jim Carey and Ewan Macgregor) pretending to be gay

and then he said

and I quote it directly

"THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF SOME FAMOUS SCIENTOLOGISTS THEN"

so he was referring to TWO homosesual Scientologists pretending to be heterosexual - the opposite of the movie I love you Philip Morris

you don't choose either between Travolta or Cruise - it's both that he was joking about

Tony

I thought Gervais was just stating the obvious about Tom Cruise.