Regis Philbin: I Made My Decision 'A Long Time Ago'

1/24/2011 6:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin claims he was ready to bail on "Live" way before contract negotiations went sour -- insisting 28 years in the same place is long enough ... period.

0910_media_removed_Mel_Gibson
The Reegemeister quit L.A. earlier today -- hopping a flight to Miami -- and he ain't lookin' back ... at least when it comes to his famous TV show ... claiming, "I left. I'm done."

Reeg also explained, "We never reached an agreement on the contract ... but I made up my mind a long time ago."

Annette

Why didn't you inform your co-host? Wouldn't that me the polite thing to do?

Areader

He's lying!

Butterfly

THIS IS FOR REGIS. I did not know, until yesterday, that you have a disabled son. I learned it from this very site and commented how disappointed I was in you for not acknowledging him, publicly. Some of the comments posted today clarified your position. My deepest apology to you and to your son.

cassie thornburg

I have been watching Regis for many years and always have enjoyed him. I wish him the best in this new chapter of his life. As for a new co-host, I'd love to see Mark L. Walberg (host of Antiques Road Show and other various shows) join Kelly! I think he'd be fantastic!!

Pat Keating

Regis, I hope you disregard the nasty comments on this site. Unfortunately negative people are more apt to need a forum for their thoughts. You have every right to resign if you feel the network is being disrespectful. It happens to those over 60 all the time. You and Kelly have given the public so many laughs and the best style of live TV. It will be hard to replace you. I hope you fnd something even better. Keep your chin up!!!! A grateful Fan, PKG

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4