Schick -- We're Cutting Our Ads from 'Skins'

1/24/2011 6:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The exodus continues ... Schick has now pulled its commercials from the controversial MTV show, "Skins."

MTV Skins Controversy

A rep for the company tells TMZ, "After 'Skins' on MTV aired last week, the makers of Schick Hydro decided not to advertise during the program because some of this show’s content is not aligned with Schick corporate guidelines."

So that makes Schick, Subway, H&R Block, Taco Bell, Wrigley and GM to pull its ads from the show.

UPDATE: A rep for MTV tells TMZ, "'Skins' has earned the loyalty of fans across the globe for its thoughtful and honest portrayal of teen life today. An internationally acclaimed scripted drama, the show has been honored with a long list of prestigious awards. MTV stands by the US adaptation of 'Skins' and the vision of its creator Bryan Elsley."

Mayu

the loyalty of teen sluts and pot heads across America ain't gonna pay the bills. They seem to be running out of advertisers, and they make their main money from selling advertising slots.

Joao

MTV is a cultural cancer and is not about the well-being of its impressionable demographics...

THUMBS UP!!! to all the sponsors pull out, in fact I'd recommend a letter commending them. You have to hit those JEWS at MTV where it hurts ($$$$)

Didn't like that Harvey... that's what it looks and sounds like.

Stination

Are these ad people also pulling their ads when Fox show it or just from MTV?

B

I think some of the people on here making comments do not have teenage or pre-teen kids. I have a son and niece who will soon be 12 years old. I have actually had to block this channel from their TV's in their room. I feel like an old lady doing this, and I am only 27 years old! I watched the show and think it's entertaining. However, this is not something my child will be watching. Not even at 15 or 16 years old! Yes, I'm sure you can do the math...I was a teen mom. But just because this is happening does NOT mean it's ok to do nothing about it. Actually, they are encouraging it! I don't think there is anything wrong with Teen Moms though. Girls these days need to see how hard it is. None of the Teen Moms are living a fairy tale life with their boyfriends. It doesn't look like any of them even go to college. Getting my bachelors degree with kids was the hardest thing I've ever done.

en Todo Momento!!

aww man!! but why not?!! a clean shave is as close to prepubescent that one can get!!

How now brown cow

that show SUCKS!! what bad acting (can you call that acting?)

Sonja

amazing... a show that does NOT show sex, a show that shows the problems of drug use.. none of you watch it but yet condemn it...Hey I know ... let's also stop talking about teen sex.. let's just practice abstinence.. hey it worked for Sarah Palin right...?? ... oh ... wait ...

Shea

LOL at people writing that this "does not happen in middle America".

Yeah right.

In middle America kids do it behind the dumpster at Dairy Queen.
Or in the back of pickups with their relatives.
And they guzzle beer on country roads while doing hillbilly heroin.

Wiley

Well, I've never seen so many companies pull their ads from a show so quickly. There must have been some stupendous outpouring of disgust from the public to these companies. From what I read, they never actually gave permission for MTV to put their ads on this show. They bought a package of rotating ads and MTV took the liberty of showing all these major ads on this crap show. Even with all the publicity this show didn't draw a very large audience. 1.2M teens and 1.8M pedophiles is not that much. Big Brother 12 last summer was pulling 6-7M 3 nights a week, and it is just a summer "filler" show. I've also contacted my TV provider and demanded that MTV be taken out of the regular channel packets. I object to being forced to pay money to MTV when they broadcast crap like they do. Make it available as a channel people can get if they want to pay extra for it.

georgesgirl

so let me get this straight, it's okay for the sponsors to support the glorification being a teenage mom/dad with one show but not okay to give equal time to the behavior that precedes...
hypocrites! proverbial head-in-the-sand behavior. i've watched the original "skins" and yes it shocked the hell out of me but no more than seeing all the pregnant teenage mothers and their baby-daddy's acting a fool on "16 and pregnant".

Calorie

Schick Hydro's commercial has a women taking off her shirt and tossing it into a guy's face. They should get off their high horse!

Tina

This is real life, whether parents want to believe it or not.

Atarimaster

This show features consenting actors, like it or not. How many sponsors are pulling from the Super Bowl which features an "alleged..once..twice...???" sexual predator as a QB? See anything wrong with this?

cekeste

Teen life today? Do they seriously think all teens are druggies and secks addicts? I may be liberal, but I know for a fact there ARE kids making the right decisions, probably because their parents don't expose them to this garbage. Garbage in, garbage out. Monkey see, monkey do. Thank you Subway, Schick, Taco Bell, etc for refusing to take part in this.

Slick

I understand all of the kids on here. Claiming that this is real life. It's happening, so why not just show what is "really" going on. And your right. This type of sexual/drug activity does happen all the time with both teenagers and adults. The problem is that shows like this are setting a standard for today's youth. You will always have promiscuous people, and you will always have drug addicts, but when you make it look like it's normal, it sets a standard for those who are young enough to think that that is normal, acceptable behavior. Just look at the spike in STD's is young adults in the last 10 years. As television, movies and music(but especially tv) continue to get more and more risque, more and more teens experiment with sexual activities. This is a fact. Also, the fact that the liberal media, not the political liberal media, but the sexual liberal media, likes to push sex down teens throats(pun intended) for profits does not help.
Slick